News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HAVE VIDEO NOW PG 3 ! JUST GOT THIS 1969 DAYTONA CLONE WITH SUPER WEIRD HISTORY

Started by kevs1969daytona, August 11, 2017, 03:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

Ok so last week I was shopping for a wood grain steering for my 1970 Charger and came a across an add ON KIJIJI about 10 mins old for this 1969 charger "project car", long story short I picked it up within 2 hours after driving 150 miles.  Guy had 9 calls when I was there for the car. The guy had become frustrated with the car after he blow the engine 10 years ago.  It was sitting in a trailer for 10 years.  I checked the VIN its a 318 car, so no big deal it's a clone got it with a new engine (not put all together) but it's solid. The guy even let me borrow his trailer for the trip home.  Was $35000 Cdn thats about $27000 USA.  came with 2 engines as well a date code 1970 440 HP and a 413 engine.  Lots of parts.  Anyways I had a guy over the other day thats is the local president of the Mopar Association (who incidentally was trying to buy it as well but I beat him to the punch).  He kind of starts freaking out a bit, say the wing, nose cone and rear plug are all metal. Says that super weird as they are usually fiberglass.  Then he checks the VIN under the rear molding it does not match the VIN last numbers are 32508 not even close to the VIN, which according to him the dash was replaced ??????.  Then I recall the seller telling me (which I took with a grain of salt) that the car was purchased from a friend of his in the mid 80's out of Florida, said something about being in a museum in "Daytona" (ya right I thought)  but he really believed it.  Then he shows me it has 2 gas caps according to him actually raced at Daytona so the pit crew did not run into traffic when and if they change directions on the track (is that possible??)"no way this was true I thought".  Then I get it home and notice the cone is all metal and has no signal lights it's solid.  WFT??? is that about.  It's not street legal without signal lights.  Any info, thoughts, concerns please tell me the Mopar Association guy was scratching his head the entire time.  He even called over another Mopar friend we were all confused.

DAY CLONA

Good lookin score for the price!, nose looks like the grille openings were either molded in?, or never had any openings other than the headlights....is the rear wing steel or aluminum? a magnet will tell you that, if you remove the latch tray that should answer some questions regarding the nose?....is the nose steel or aluminum?

Mike

1970Moparmann

From the second picture, the car looks sweet!   More pictures!! :popcrn: :popcrn:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

kevs1969daytona

Ya the cone is metal but the rear wing is not magnetic, definitely not fiberglass, it some sort of metal  must be aluminum.  What does that mean???  I have put it on the driveway everyone slows down they don't even look at my 70 R/T was going to get a 2006 to 2010 viper hard top but I think this is way cooler  :drool5:

kevs1969daytona

Heres a picture of my wife not too impressed.  Spent last 4 days under the new car putting her back together, wife says I have a mistress in the garage  :lol:

Troy

Looks nice to me! The factory wings were aluminum. Some reproductions are solid aluminum. Some are fiberglass. Not sure if anyone makes a hollow aluminum reproduction. I'd take this car over that generation of Viper any day!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Troy on August 11, 2017, 09:33:05 PM
Looks nice to me! The factory wings were aluminum. Some reproductions are solid aluminum. Some are fiberglass. Not sure if anyone makes a hollow aluminum reproduction. I'd take this car over that generation of Viper any day!

Troy

Dane makes hollow aluminum wings, my wings are hollow steel...

kevs1969daytona

the magnet will not hold on the back wing but ok on the front :shruggy:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on August 12, 2017, 12:35:06 AM
the magnet will not hold on the back wing but ok on the front :shruggy:

Pretty much indicates the rear wing as aluminum alloy casting, and a steel cone, question is, is the cone original or repro?, you'll find out when the latch tray is removed and you can get some pics of the internals or see how it's constructed, make note of the internals construction, fiberglass or steel components , Z bars, latch tray, headlight buckets, doors, pivots, etc, etcc

MIke

odcics2

"Then he checks the VIN under the rear molding it does not match the VIN last numbers are 32508 not even close to the VIN"

You need to find out why.    :Twocents:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

PettyMower

What are the numbers found on the trunk rail? If by chance, it's not a clone, those numbers will be VERY helpful tracing it's real identity.

Just curious, are both fuel fill necks attached to the tank? Or is the right just a dummy? If connected, please post pics.

Dodge Don

Curious if the dash was from a 69 and body from a 70 Charger.....the vin from trunk lip and rad support would be interesting to check.  Has 70 high back buckets.

Daytona R/T SE

If you've got multiple VIN numbers on the same car, you've got multiple problems.  :Twocents:

First, I'd figure out if you bought a car, or just a dash with a VIN on it and a title.

Actually, I would have figured that out before the purchase.

Is there a fender tag?

What is the VIN on the fender tag?

Partial VIN on the radiator core support?

Is the car a '69 or a '70 ?  :shruggy:

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 12, 2017, 07:51:49 AM
If you've got multiple VIN numbers on the same car, you've got multiple problems.  :Twocents:

First, I'd figure out if you bought a car, or just a dash with a VIN on it and a title.

Is there a fender tag?

He did ok  , even if he just bought parts   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on August 11, 2017, 03:07:03 PMThen he checks the VIN under the rear molding it does not match the VIN last numbers are 32508 not even close to the VIN,

Keep looking. The body number should be two digits (one letter & one number) then a space then six more numbers for 8 digits total - not 5.

Check the numbers on the radiator support also.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: moparstuart on August 12, 2017, 10:37:15 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 12, 2017, 07:51:49 AM

Is there a fender tag?

He did ok  , even if he just bought parts   :icon_smile_big:

Agreed! hell of a deal, nice car, as long as he has a CLEAR title, he can make what numbers he needs, to match the paperwork... A vehicle is lawfully defined by it's paperwork, nothing more, nothing less, cross the "t's" and dot the "i's", and there's nothing to worry about

kevs1969daytona

The car was originally a USA car and never been registered in Canada.  I checked that out already. You can barely see but 32508 is stamped on the rear molding rail but the VIN is clearly different.  Someone has cut ot holes underneath the nose cone for cooling .  The wing has 4 large Bolt hidden under the Dynamat sound deadening stuff that has crack all the paint in the entire back of the car. The front fenders are super solid no rust but don't match any charger I have seen. I'm not to worried about the title we don't have "titles" in Canada I also have a dealers plate I can use from my business.

kevs1969daytona

Heres a pic of inside the nose cone every thing is metal.  Thanks for all the responses at least know one has called me an idiot for getting it.  I really like this car.  :yesnod:  Since i  have had the car, I had to put on the engine pulleys, mount the alternator, power steering pump, bleed the brakes, mount the torque converter to the flex plate, put in the starter, mount the battery stand, when I put coolant in it it started to leak because one of the bolt in the exhaust manifold was missing, hook up the water temp sensor, oil pressure gauge, pull all the spark plugs, replace the carburetor, hook up the exhaust to the manifold.  cut my knuckles a few hundred times, spent about 40 hours under the car.  My dad is coming over tomorrow to try and get her started, Crossing my fingers with a fire extinguisher next to me.  :scratchchin:

FJMG

kevs1969daytona

Heres some pics of the interior needs 69 seats and a woodgrain steering wheel, but the interior is actually in amazing shape.  I also washed 10 years of dust off last night. She actually looks pretty good some rust underneath and cracks in the back from the wing.  Have a Mopar guy who owns a body shop here in Edmonton, Alberta say will do the whole car for $16000 cdn

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Daytona R/T SE