News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HAVE VIDEO NOW PG 3 ! JUST GOT THIS 1969 DAYTONA CLONE WITH SUPER WEIRD HISTORY

Started by kevs1969daytona, August 11, 2017, 03:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the missing opening in the leading edge of the cone!  :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

So the back wing does not have any braces inside the trunk but just bolts down through the 1/4 ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

Yes no braces guess I need to get some or the paint will break again, any ideas were to get these braces ??.  Heres a photo of the back window.  There a pic of the inside of the cone, that looks like a grill of some sort, Is that what they look like?  Anyone know if back in the day you could actually race a car at Daytona other than actual NASCAR of course.

charger chris

Hello
  That is a very nice car. Well if this was retag. One the holes on the fire wall are different then 70 two there are a set of vin numbers stamp in the rear frame rail on the passenger side. That's for 69 I'm not sure about 70 haven't look on my 70.  Very interesting reading. :popcrn:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

70 sublime

Still hard to tell from that angle
Glass looks to be mounted a little high by how much panel seems to be between glass and trunk lid

Vega is more square at the top corners and rounded corners at the bottom where a Daytona glass is the other way around

white

From the picture it looks like they might have used a stock rear window in the plug.

Lighthorseman

Just wondering...is this the one from the Breton, Alberta, area?  I recall looking at that one, as well as his B5 Bird.

kevs1969daytona

No its was in a trailer in Red Deer for 10 years and was in Calgary before  that.  Something also weird is that the entire floor has that dynamat under the seats, it says it has overdrive on the centreconsle gear selector,  and found a set of air shock on both the front and back suspension.  :shruggy:

DAY CLONA

I recall the car now....steel fabricated nose, IIRC the rear wing is the early solid aluminum repro, and the stock 68-70 rear window mounted slightly higher to create a steel rear plug

kevs1969daytona

Thats the one tell me the history please  :icon_smile_big: The antenna is straight now lol  Any sughestions were I could buy the opening and signal lights to drive the thing legally on the road.  Cheers

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on August 13, 2017, 12:39:58 AM
 Any sughestions were I could buy the opening and signal lights to drive the thing legally on the road.  Cheers

You'll have to create the grille opening with a recessed flange to accept a Daytona grille frame, the original turn signals used are 1969 Plymouth Valiant units, but you'll need to straighten out that homemade brew assembly you have inside that nosecone first...so that it looks more like this when you reassemble the nosecone

DAY CLONA

69 Plymouth Valiant front directions, if you find a set, new lenses are available from Laysons

Lighthorseman

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on August 12, 2017, 09:39:40 PM
No its was in a trailer in Red Deer for 10 years and was in Calgary before  that...

That's a bit strange, because I looked at this car in Breton.  I took a couple dozen pictures, as well as video.  Ill see if I can find them.

70 sublime

There is a thread on here someplace about this black car when it was for sale a couple years ago

Talked about the Charger back window glass and not a Daytona glass

70 sublime

View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Was there a post about this Daytona clone before
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote
Well, got out there and talked to him.  Nice guy, but a bit of an odd duck.  He said he has the two wing cars for sale because he wants to use the money to build a house.  I got there, and he showed me to a fairly rickety 2 car garage.  Inside - how cool is it to see TWO tails?  Pretty cool.  So, I asked if we could move it out into the sun, and he said he had the battery disconnected, and would not hook it up to see if lights, etc. worked, nor would he push it out of the dark garage.  There were mousetraps everywhere, and although the garage had a concrete floor, there would be no way to keep rodents out.  So, I did the best I could with the car inside.

Initially, the car looked really cool.  Heck - what wing car doesn't? 

CAVEAT!!
Please keep in mind that I don't even know enough to be dangerous!!

As I looked closer, many things came into focus.
I asked as many questions as I could think of, and here, in point form, are things I got from him:

- He did not put the car together.  He got it as it sits now.
- Claimed it came from a guy nearby, who got it from the guy who built it, who conveniently lives in Florida.
- Has no idea how the back window was made, or if it is metal, fibreglass...or even 50 gallons of Bondo.  We measured the back window, and it is the same size as the back glass on his '68 project.
- He had the battery disconnected, and would not hook it up to see if lights, etc. worked, nor would he push it out of the dark garage.
- He says he's had it for about a year - and he hasn't even taken it out for a drive.  How the hell can one have a wing car in the garage and NOT take it out for a spin?  Is that a red flag to you?
- Many questions I asked got a shrug and an "I dunno", or he simply said that he got the car like that.

So...looking at the car from front to rear:
- Fibreglass nose, Z-braces, fender extensions, lower valence, and fender scoops.
- Nose does NOT have the correct grille opening.  There is only a small opening on the bottom rear of the nose.
- Headlights do not work.
- Metal '70 fenders and hood.
- No top holes for "tire clearance!" in the fenders.
- Interior looks nice with buckets, console, rallye dash (with tic-toc-tach).
- Sound deadener glued to the floor under the carpets.  Couldn't pull it up anywhere to see the state of the floorpans.
- Headliner looks nice.
- Doors appear to be nice and clean.  No rust noted, and they closed well.
- Manual windows, no air.
- Thumbwheel radio.
- Back glass area headliner falling off.
- Bubbles in the paint near the rear window.
- "Orange peel" most everywhere - especially in the tail and trunk area.
- Dual fuel fillers not functional.
- Large bubble in paint on passenger side sailpanel.
- Looks very much like a stock Charger back window.
- Cracks on both sides of the lower back deck near the trunk lid.
- Trunk has scraped paint off the centre of the decklid.
- Trunk lid does not stay up - it has to be propped open.
- Again, heavily glued sound deadener negates the ability to look at the trunk pan.
- There is some sort of plywood panel just behind the back seat.
- Appears to have a REAL metal tail.
- Taillight on the driver's side not secured properly.

Underside:
- Scary looking rust on the front driver's side frame rail.
- VERY heavy coat of rustproofing does not allow inspection of floor pans.
- Newer looking fuel tank.
- Rear frame rails looked fine to me.
- Could not see trunk pan.
- Lower rear quarters rusty and bubbly on the bottom.

Overall, it looks really good.  Not great, but nice.  It certainly looks solid enough to drive to me, but please remember the caveat!  It would require an EXPERT to have a very close look at the frame rails for sure.  I have no idea what one would realistically pay for this, but I would want a really good idea of how much work I'm really in for if I took this on.

If I can ever get pictures to upload, I will post them.  I'm sure there's stuff that I forgot, so if anyone has questions, just fire away and I'll wrack my brain for an answer.

70 sublime

Seems to be the same car but not all of the story you were told is true  :brickwall:

kevs1969daytona

That's the car in my garage, can tell thats the guy who sold it to me, tell by his Blue and White 06 Viper, the seller told me it was from a friend how got it out of Florida, told me it actually raced at Daytona kinda like weekend warrior kind of thing.  Again I took it with a grain of salt. Today I have put the entire car together.  I have been on vacation for a few weeks so in the last 9 days, I have done the following, get new battery, replace idle arm, put alternator, brackets, pulleys on, hooked up exhaust to exhaust manifolds, installed a carburetor, hooked up gas pedal, hooked up tranny kick down rods.  Bleed from cut knuckles, almost forgot my wifes birthday, spent all day on ignition system. hooked flex plate to tranny,  bleed brakes, filled entire radiator then it started leaking from a loose manifold screw, spilled about 1/2 liter of oil over manifold when I slipped. Pushed it out of the garage twice to wash it. Finally today with the help of my son with a wet towel and garden hose on standy by, crossed my fingers,  I was able to start the car, runs like crap, thinks it needs a new carb, but motor has no knocks, does not blow blue.  So I am happy so far.  Once its ready it's off to the restoration/body shop to get road worthy.  Thanks everyone for your input.  Thanks 70 sublime for your history lesson, guy wanted $69000 USA a few years ago.  Think $35000 with 2 engine was a good deal. much appreciated cheers :cheers:   Ok so the rear window is not "correct" should I spend another $4000 to change to to the correct size is it worth it ? If yes does anyone have the measurements from the top of the trunk lid to the window lip and what type of window needs to be in it.

charger chris

If you like the car the way it is . Then leave it the way it is. I think you got a hell of a deal on this car. I wish I had that kind of money laying around and ran across a deal like that. But hell I am happy with what I am doing on my stuff. It's your car make it the way you want it. That's why charger still around because we wanted them and we fixed them up and take care them. That's why they are still here to ride in. If I am wrong for saying what I said please let me know. I love these and hope people find them and fix them.  :2thumbs: :popcrn:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Charger_Fan

Quote from: charger chris on August 14, 2017, 01:05:27 PM
If you like the car the way it is . Then leave it the way it is.
:iagree: But if you do, prepare to answer questions about the incorrect (for a Daytona) rear window practically every time you take it out. If you do want to have it done correctly, here's a couple threads that will show you what's involved...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,107453.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10669.0.html

Also, I would definitely advise in getting some rear wing brackets, so the wing won't bend & flex your rear quarters.

On another note, does it have a driver's door sticker similar to this? If so, what's the VIN on that sticker?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

DAY CLONA

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on August 14, 2017, 01:00:40 AM
  Ok so the rear window is not "correct" should I spend another $4000 to change to to the correct size is it worth it ? If yes does anyone have the measurements from the top of the trunk lid to the window lip and what type of window needs to be in it.

Depending on how anal to details you are?, you have several alternatives, The rear window does look funky IMHO, you can spend $4-$5K to put in a repro Daytona steel plug and repro glass/trim, or you can do the Chevy Vega/Pontiac Astre rear window conversion, or you can rework what you have and drop the glass down in the opening?... the STOCK Daytona glass location measurements are: 3 3/4" inches from the top of the STOCK Charger top opening to the top of the glass opening, and 12"-12 1/2" from the bottom of the dutchman/trunk seam, to the bottom of the rear window opening, the STOCK Daytona glass is approx 26" in height, the STOCK Daytona trunk lid is approx 21 1/2" along either edge, and 22 1/2"-22 3/4" in the center, measure what you have and adjust accordingly

Mike

kevs1969daytona

So today I finally got the engine going, has a clank at 2000 rpm, hope its just the top end cross my fingers, oh well, anyways, I checked the body again with a magnet and really all metal, even below the back window, some small area of bondo, but feeling confindent it's goin turn out ok without a ton of new panels. Kinda cool I went to get a extra set of keys cut, and remember the guy (seller)  said it was out of Florida "raced at Daytona" he told me,  ya what ever I thought,  Well under the super dirty key chain I found this, says W.P.B. FL  Dannys dealer supplies, that's almost 3000 miles from where I live, in the Cold North, below zero 6 months a year, think I hear the car asking to go back to the beach.  What a history this car must have seen. If you live in W.P.B. please go by and ask Danny about my car ;D

kevs1969daytona

So after 17 years I am selling my 70 R/T been a very good car, never let me down, need some of the money for the Daytona.  Kinda bitter sweet, Guess my wife is right she needs a place to park in the winter,  :rotz:.  I took the Daytona into Sherwood Park today.  I have never had so many people lose their "poop" on a car, my 70 was kinda over the top, but this new car is almost annoying, I went into Canadian Tire store came out there was 2 guys taking photos, I drove to and from home maybe 7 thumbs up, would have maybe 1 with the 70, kinda thought most people would think a car with that big wing actually never existed.  Maybe I was wrong.  

kevs1969daytona

Bad news went to a engine/speed shop have a bad rod, need complete rebuild  :brickwall: