News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I a jerk for calling ins co and getting a police report on small crash?

Started by 68charger440, August 18, 2017, 10:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Am I a jerk

Yes
0 (0%)
No
23 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Bobs69

I read the first few post and I don't see the problem with what you did.  You still haven't called the insurance company.  So what is his concern?

68charger440

Probably because he doesn't have insurance on one of his trucks and now has a ticket to deal with in court.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

JB400

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 19, 2017, 04:39:36 PM
Quote from: JB400 on August 19, 2017, 12:51:58 PM
Quote from: 68charger440 on August 19, 2017, 12:42:19 PM
Quote from: JB400 on August 19, 2017, 12:31:53 PM
Just because one person, or type of person, treats you like crap, doesn't mean everyone will.
True, but how much money are you willing to put on the line just to find out?
Just enough to give someone the benefit of the doubt.  If you lose, you lose.  But, if you win, then there's hope that there are people out there willing to do the right thing, and they'll be willing to do it again in the future.
I would like to share your faith in people, and applaud you for your faith in humanity, but as you can see by the other examples people posted in this thread, the odds are that you will loose your money.  If it were a hundred or two dollars I might be willing to try, but not for a couple of thousand.  I am not as trusting as you which I know can be a double edged sword. :2thumbs:
In that case, you should have asked for some sort of reimbursement right up front, and then give him the benefit of the doubt. You could have offered to take him to the bank to settle up. Even if he didn't fulfill his obligation, at least you would have gotten something from him, plus the lesson not to deal with him again in the future, unless he forks over a little more.  With your current actions, you obeyed the law, but have now proven to him, and everyone else, that you cannot be negotiated with in a problematic situation, just because of past events in which he had no involvement.  

Given the situation now, would you rather be the judge, or the defendant?

68charger440

The accident was after bank hours and he did not have the cash. Besides how much should I ask for without an estimate.

If I saw you on a street corner with your Charger and I said let me take the car and I'll come back and pay for it later, would you do let me take it? I would bet dollars to doughnuts that you would find it hard to get any legal advice anywhere to say you should give me your car.  I am just trying to protect my interests.  I would be foolish not to.  As the old saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted".  I am many things, but I am not a fool.  Sometimes giving someone the benefit of the doubt equates to being a fool in hindsight.
Even now I have not filed a claim so I am still showing that I can be negotiated with.  I told him that I will get repair estimates and if he pays in cash then all is well and we go our separate ways.

As for the judge part, I would much rather be in the judge or jury position now since there is now a police report showing that this accident happened exactly as I stated with the police writing that the other guy admitted to the same story instead of having no witnesses or police report and having it be his word again mine and me giving him all the time in the world to make up a plausible lie that may be accepted by the judge or jury.
...and I will always prefer to be the judge!
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

JB400

So far, you've done the right thing.  But, not everything has to be done in cash.  Going off of your example; if you pulled up driving a new dually pickup, and you said what you stated earlier, I'd let you drive my Charger if you'd let me drive your pickup, on the condition in which I stated my car is for sale, which it's not.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 19, 2017, 04:39:36 PM
Quote from: JB400 on August 19, 2017, 12:51:58 PM
Quote from: 68charger440 on August 19, 2017, 12:42:19 PM
Quote from: JB400 on August 19, 2017, 12:31:53 PM
Just because one person, or type of person, treats you like crap, doesn't mean everyone will.
True, but how much money are you willing to put on the line just to find out?
Just enough to give someone the benefit of the doubt.  If you lose, you lose.  But, if you win, then there's hope that there are people out there willing to do the right thing, and they'll be willing to do it again in the future.
I would like to share your faith in people, and applaud you for your faith in humanity, but as you can see by the other examples people posted in this thread, the odds are that you will loose your money.  If it were a hundred or two dollars I might be willing to try, but not for a couple of thousand.  I am not as trusting as you which I know can be a double edged sword. :2thumbs:

Short answer, call the police and have a report filed.

For what it's worth I have had more good/acceptable experiences with this than bad:

On the way to work I was rear ended by someone who gave their business card and they did pay but we had to be the one to keep contacting to keep it moving. (I.e. they would have just as soon ignored us but did call back)
I was hit by someone who cut a corner in our office parking lot. Small business so we were aware of each other. He asked to not go through normal channels for reasons that I'll not get into. We talked with our Insurance company and local PD about NH law and kept paper work on the situation but didn't officially "report it". Paid for the repairs but got upset at "how much it cost". I said point blank "one way or another I am not paying, you pay me or you deal with my insurance company and the PD.".  I got paid in installments over a few months.
When my sons were born someone backed into our car in the hospital lot. They left a note and paid no hassle at all.
Woman ran a stop sign and tagged the front of my car. Made all sorts of nose about not needing the cops and she would pay... on and on. I called regardless. She gave false info to the police, had expired insurance, etc. The police report was worth it's weight in gold.
Last year guy pulled out in front of me from his stop sign (didn't see me coming). Police called and he accepted all responsibility at the scene, no arguments, nothing. Even with the local PD. The officer actually came over to me afterward and said that he had completely accepted fault and followed up describing with "was surprised" and "rarely seen these days".

There are lots of decent folks out there, It's just harder to find them among all the twerps. When you do, remember who they are and make them your friends!!  :lol:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.