News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Eclipse mania

Started by oldcarnut, August 19, 2017, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Who else here lives in the totality zone and things are going crazy with their area.  Gas is getting a little short, no rooms anywhere, people paying 900 or more for rooms further inland or renting spots in a field if they have a tent.  Others selling viewing glasses that were free for $10 each.  Traffic is going to be nuts towards the beach or downtown plus we have protestors shipping in to the downtown Charleston area to stir up trouble with the Confederate symbols or statues.  Keep replies about the eclipse though, the statues etc could take up its own thread.

Charger_Fan

The statue thing has just gotten to the point where it's completely stupid..no, moronic. Yep, good idea to try to erase the first 200+ years of our country's history! Following the same path with Germany in the 30's. ::). Stupid. Could expound on other similar events, but will refrain.
Gotta love the progressive agenda & how it never stops, no matter what.

Anyway...

The eclipse thing? Stupid too. It's a big shadow mid-day, big woop...while it's cool to see, it's really no big deal to me. Not getting sucked into the breathless hype the media is forecasting, I'll watch the 92%~ish percent version from my vantage point at work & spare myself of being stuck in a friggin' I-15 quagmire.  

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Mytur Binsdirti

Laowho

Sumthin iconic about a total eclipse. We're astronomy enthusiasts--even built a 12.5" binocular telescope--and we couldn't care less. But hey, it's the little things in life, the ride there, dog peeing on the samiches and such.  :2thumbs:

ws23rt

Quote from: Laowho on August 19, 2017, 07:06:21 AM

Sumthin iconic about a total eclipse. We're astronomy enthusiasts--even built a 12.5" binocular telescope--and we couldn't care less. But hey, it's the little things in life, the ride there, dog peeing on the samiches and such.  :2thumbs:

I like this post. :2thumbs: The event is kinda cool because it happens so rarely. Otherwise, It's a non-event.
It even made me look up yesterday on the way to work. --In the early morning I witnessed a partial eclipse of the moon. Clear sky and the shadow of the earth crossing the moon was awesome. :icon_smile_wink: (And I had no special viewing glasses).
As for this solar eclipse and the hype?--it's a great excuse for a mini vacation for millions to get away for a time from daily food gathering and nest building to enjoy life.

I had a good vantage point during the last one to pass over where I was. My spot was on a tall building in the high desert of Oregon. To see a dark shadow rush from one horizon to the other at 500+ miles per hour is IMO cooler than watching the day light blink out for a couple of minutes which is what most viewers will be looking at or be able to see.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

John_Kunkel

Solar eclipse? Normally I'd give it a big yawn  :sleep:  (I've lived through nine total eclipses) but my solar-dependent electric utility is a little worried with all the air conditioner use this time of year.  
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ws23rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 19, 2017, 03:50:26 PM

Solar eclipse? Normally I'd give it a big yawn  :sleep:  but my solar-dependent electric utility is a little worried with all the air conditioner use this time of year. 

Yikes--A two minute brown out coming? :slap:---This could mean some switch throwing going on to help out the confused computers. EEK

Charger_Fan

Quote from: ws23rt on August 19, 2017, 03:39:31 PM
I had a good vantage point during the last one to pass over where I was. My spot was on a tall building in the high desert of Oregon. To see a dark shadow rush from one horizon to the other at 500+ miles per hour is IMO cooler than watching the day light blink out for a couple of minutes which is what most viewers will be looking at or be able to see.
Your post got me thinking...it would really be fun to be in an airplane at 30,000 feet & watch the shadow cruise along the ground below.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ws23rt

Quote from: Charger_Fan on August 19, 2017, 06:35:05 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on August 19, 2017, 03:39:31 PM
Your post got me thinking...it would really be fun to be in an airplane at 30,000 feet & watch the shadow cruise along the ground below.

It would indeed be a great vantage point to be in the sky. Most airports are booked in every way.
Another would be at a high point on the coast to see the shadow rush from the ocean followed by the light rush that follows.

DeltaV

Lots of people will be seeing "the dark side of the moon". Lol
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

Mytur Binsdirti

Tuesday morning...............

ITSA426

We came to Nebraska to see it, and catch up with some car buddies.  Forecast is mostly cloudy for tomorrow but I just overheard a group of Australians who chartered a private jet for tomorrow to get above the clouds, and another group is leaving the hotel to drive five and a half hours to get to a spot where better weather is forecast.  I'm mostly here to catch up with friends, but seeing the eclipse would be cool.

flyinlow

I heard there may be protests here because we are not in the zone of totality.  They are threatening to tear down statues of the Sun.  :rotz:

Mopar Nut

:coolgleamA:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mytur Binsdirti

Put your zip code in place of one in yellow box when you open the URL below.
This is what the eclipse will look like in your town or city on Monday.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

JB400

Homerr

In Seattle we are about 200 miles north of totality zone.  We could see it through glasses, clear skies here.  Got a bit cooler, was expecting it to get a bit darker - less than a cloud passing by on a sunny day.

Mytur Binsdirti

Got my eclipse glasses just in the nick of time.

4cruzin

Kind of glad it is over . . .  :popcrn:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Kern Dog

I don't mean to piss on anyones hobby but this seemed over-hyped for what it was.

hemigeno

Eclipses are an amazing celestial phenomenon, but people went a little nuts.  I live about 6-7 miles north of the "path of totality" centerline.  Some hotel rooms were booked 2 years prior.  Local farmers snapped up the porta-potty rentals & divided up their hayfields into campground spaces - then sold out every one of them.  Other folks advertising a spare room in the basement for rent; one had a couple from Argentina who replied & rented their room.

Plum nuts.

I did go home at lunchtime, and the fam & I watched it from the backyard.  It was admittedly eerie, but I came away with 2 observations:

1. I expected it to get darker, quicker... it stayed relatively light (about like you were wearing a good pair of sunglasses) until the sun was almost completely obscured.  Apparently it takes 90%+ blockage to make a major difference.

2. I expected it to be darker during "totality"... it was more like late dusk/twilight, not nighttime as I had anticipated

The traffic jam of people headed out of town will probably last the rest of today.  I suppose it was cool to see, but really??

On the weird side...

>  Our doorbell rang of its own volition about 10 minutes before "totality"; we live in a rural area and no one was within 1/4 mile of our house
>  My iPhone (no filter) could not capture the corona effect during "totality" - but I later looked at the single photo I took anyway and couldn't tell what the weird "object" was above & to the left of the sun.  And NO, I'm not a "Planet X", tinfoil hat kinda guy.  Any photography guys recognize that as some effect an unsophisticated cameraphone lens will project?

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hemigeno on August 21, 2017, 03:37:57 PM
but I later looked at the single photo I took anyway and couldn't tell what the weird "object" was above & to the left of the sun.  And NO, I'm not a "Planet X", tinfoil hat kinda guy.  Any photography guys recognize that as some effect an unsophisticated cameraphone lens will project?
My Mom was watching TV coverage & they mentioned a spot on the sun. They inspected closer & it turns out it was the space station.

It was pretty cool to watch here. We had something like 93% coverage, and like you, I expected it to be darker than it was. It just seemed a lot like a cloudy day, for how dark it got.

Mytur Binsdirti

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 21, 2017, 02:07:40 PM
I don't mean to piss on anyones hobby but this seemed over-hyped for what it was.
I agree, very over-hyped. Sadly, that's pretty typical these days.

One nice thing though, this morning's commute was great! I work in Salt Lake, and have a 47 mile commute each way. With so many people out of town to be in "the zone", and so many others that seemingly took the morning off work, I was actually able to set my cruise on the freeway & zip right along! :)

Dodge Don

I am on vacation this week so I took the Charger out for a drive during the eclipse....just to say I did. Was kind of like driving at dawn.  :coolgleamA:

ECS

Quote from: hemigeno on August 21, 2017, 03:37:57 PM
4. People are nuts

Hi Bother Gene!  You would be proud of me for my dealings with the Eclipse today.  I ONLY paid $5 per minuet to view it from the parking lot in front of my Office.  The Owner said it normally costs $10 but they gave me a discount.  Not only did I get a GREAT deal on getting to view it today, they told me I could come back tomorrow and watch it again for a discounted rate of $2 per minuet.  I took that deal as quick as I could get it.  I've already paid up front to make sure they don't back out on me. 

If you want to come down tomorrow and watch it with me, feel free to do so.  You can watch for free.  There shouldn't be so much traffic for tomorrow's Eclipse and I'm really excited on getting such a good deal on the second viewing.  I should probably feel guilty for taking advantage of them but they offered it and I took it.  I'm living proof that not all people are "nuts".
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Laowho on August 19, 2017, 07:06:21 AM

Sumthin iconic about a totaled eclipse. 

:icon_smile_big:

Troy

What I find disturbing is the number of people who regurgitate "once in a lifetime" without actually knowing anything. I believe that only applies to the "visible from most of the United States" or "path completely crossing the mainland US". There are 2-5 solar Eclipses per year and I believe 6 total eclipses in the next 10 years. Of course, you'd need to watch one of them from Antarctica so it's a wee bit harder than getting your $2 paper glasses and walking outside. However, the one in 2024 will also cross the US so I wonder what the "once in a lifetime" folks will say in 7 years.

It got dark here in a weird way. Inside it was dark - about the same as a normal sunset - but outside it still appeared to be bright and sunny. I think we were at 92% coverage. You couldn't even see the eclipse without help (glasses, camera filter, etc.).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Laowho

It's hyperbole Troy, best thing ever invented.  :drool5:  BTW, didya happen to see N D Tyson's rant? And what gives--Mytur can quote us AND change the text?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Laowho on August 23, 2017, 10:14:02 AM

And what gives--Mytur can quote us AND change the text?

It's magic.    :yesnod:

oldcarnut

I had some special glasses from Chrysler.

funknut

I'm a bit of a science nerd, so I was somewhat motivated to see the total eclipse. Not so much for my wife, to her it probably wasn't worth the trip. I've seen a couple partial eclipses before, but this time I made the effort and took the family to see the total eclipse. 

My parents' house was in the path of totality, so we made it a fun, long weekend.

I will say, seeing the total eclipse was a completely different experience than the partial eclipses I had seen previously.  We lucked out and had great weather.  A bit of clouds early during the eclipse but clear skies (where it mattered) during totality.

Feeling the temperature drop was impressive.  Hearing the dogs in the neighborhood start barking was cool.  Looking around the horizon and seeing 'sunset' in every direction, very cool.

All of those things, plus seeing the total eclipse at the same time, was really incredible.

I don't know if I'm willing to drive out to the middle of nowhere for any of the next ones, so for me it may have been a 'once in a lifetime' deal.

This video does about as good a job capturing the moment as I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lepQoU4oek4

Skip to 4:05 if you want to get to the total eclipse part.

Davtona

Quote from: Troy on August 22, 2017, 12:28:54 PM
What I find disturbing is the number of people who regurgitate "once in a lifetime" without actually knowing anything.

Or the people who have never seen a total eclipse and down play one because they think seeing a 99% eclipse is the same as a total event. They do not even compare. As far as being rare for the average person they are. Not everyone has the resources or desire to go to Antarctica or another continent to see one. You are right they happen on average SOMEWHERE in the world every 18 months or so. I'm 60 now and have wanted to see one since I was old enough to know what they were. Saw the partials in my area in March of 1970 & February of 1979. Took till now for me to get the chance to be in the path of total one. Made it to this one and had clear skies so I have seen one. If I die tomorrow it will be a once in a lifetime event for me. If you miss 2024 or you are around in 2045 and miss that one you will probably never see a total one. The fact that we have 2 of them 7 years apart in our country is a very lucky coincidence. A 500 year flood can also happen 2 years in a row but they usually don't. All it takes are some misplaced clouds and once in a lifetime doesn't happen.

Once again to emphasis even a 99% percent partial eclipse does not compare to a total eclipse. Those that think they do will not think that after seeing a total one. My wife was  ho hum about it but knew I wanted to see it. Her reaction when she saw it was priceless. I was told to plan for a repeat in 2024. I knew what to expect and was amazed by it. No one that has ever seen a total eclipse would be critical of it. It was amazing like a hole in the sky.

Laowho

I'm feeling a little chastised  :icon_smile_blackeye: Is it at least a little ironic that astronomers don't fuss over it, or is this a profundity reserved for the rabble, like breads and circuses? Ironic too that Hubble (and most astronomy) is done digitally rather than visually?  The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Now, gimme some mid-infrared and all bets are off. Hello James Webb. No glasses required, and it'll be a once-in-a-lifetime event. So I'm not a one-per cent-er, and it's not a hole, but I'll take it.

p.s. Thru the lens of archaeoastronomy there was some real profundity expressed re: any eclipse, but It'd be a real find to discover cultures that could distinguish a 99%-er from a total, maybe a greater find even than knowledge of the precession of the equinoxes (the Great Year) amongst truly primitive societies. (Hamlet's Mill) Or how about the why's and wherefores of the Mayans using water for their lense? If you like such, check out The War Against Time and the invisible pyramid, visible only one day a year and greater in area than Giza's Great. There's some profound astronomical sh.. Bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZAFZlT1hCc

cheers