News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

O.k. we have a What year is your car... how about...What RIMS?

Started by Khyron, August 10, 2005, 08:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morepower

1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

odcics2

Nichels Engineering 15 x 9.5" all around with 8.00-8.20-15  Goodyear Bluestreak Stock Car Specials
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Laowho

Not seein a lotta modern sizing and this confuses me. Granted, when I first saw our change I thought I'd just stuck ill-fitting donuts in the wells, but the next day that ghost was gone. Set-up looks absolutely rite--kinda "bow-ties" the jacket of the body--and rides/handles like a different car (w/ other updates). I say slap on 17s and at least give yourself modern tire selection, if nothing else. Besides, looking at original specs and the shorter sidewall the RTs optioned, and seeing the evolution of wheels/tires over time toward these (shorter sidewalls), makes keeping original shoes unnatural.

darbgnik

Quote from: Laowho on August 20, 2017, 08:21:43 AM

Not seein a lotta modern sizing and this confuses me. Granted, when I first saw our change I thought I'd just stuck ill-fitting donuts in the wells, but the next day that ghost was gone. Set-up looks absolutely rite--kinda "bow-ties" the jacket of the body--and rides/handles like a different car (w/ other updates). I say slap on 17s and at least give yourself modern tire selection, if nothing else. Besides, looking at original specs and the shorter sidewall the RTs optioned, and seeing the evolution of wheels/tires over time toward these (shorter sidewalls), makes keeping original shoes unnatural.

I think if you want to try to make these old trucks handle, then a 17 would be a decent choice. Plenty of options, with still reasonable pricing. In a few years though, 18 might be the new 17...... A car doesn't need the high sidewall of a 60 series tire on a 15 inch wheel to gain compliance, but the first component of any suspension is the tire, so you'll need some sidewall. Anyone whose gonna slap on 20+" sized boat anchors with rubber bands and expect any kind of ride quality may need to rethink the plan. Then again, the proliferation of plus sized wheels has been form over function for quite some time, so as long as it looks how they like, maybe there will be no complaints.

Taking nothing away from guys who enjoy trying to make these old sleds competitive with modern sports cars, (sometimes I'm up for a challenge), but it would be much easier just to buy a modern sports car. Me personally, I could really care less how my Charger clips an apex, as I have another car for that, and I drive it for the same nostalgia reason as I bought it. That being said, I have already made some modernizing concessions, and will continue to do so, such as disc brakes(because who wouldn't want to be able to stop quickly 3 times in a row), electronic ignition, and I'll end up with EFI just so everything in my garage doesn't reek of gas every time I drive it. But in my own personal view of it, obviously different than many, there is a point of diminishing returns on how far you want to take these things.

Back on topic, I'm mostly rocking 15's because I love the look of the steelies and poverty caps. I don't know why, but I do.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html