News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rocker panel replacement ( need help please)

Started by moparqueen, August 23, 2017, 12:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparqueen

hi everyone, im doing a full restoration on my 68 charger, i finally got my rockers cut out on one side, and i am trying to line up my inner rocker with my outer rocker
and i've heard of people saying aftermarket rockers never match up correctly, they are rockers from classic industries, and as i am lining it up
im having some trouble with fitment issues, my question is, are the two pieces, the inner and outer suppose to match up exactly with these
two holes below, it looks like they do on the original pieces, but it doesn't seem to fit right when im scooting the panel more toward the front of the car,
it leaves more of a gap against the outerwheel house
i understand the outer rocker is sagging right now and that they are supposed to but up together evenly but
do the holes HAVE to align? that is my question.
because it doesn't seem to look right once ive tried doing so,

i have a picture of whats going on below,

just wondering if someone can please explain what are the troubles they ran into fitting these both,
and how did you make it work? this is my first time doing this and im on my own so i just wanna make sure its right,

i also want to ask does it matter if both rockers aren't exactly level to each other on both sides of the car?
im replacing both sides but im only working on the passenger right now.
sorry if these might be some dumb questions but im no expert and i could really use the advice.

(IGNORE the outer rocker sagging, i know it needs to be lifted up more, im just focused on if the holes really need to be aligned or not
and if some of you guys who did this before did not align those exactly )

DAY CLONA

In a perfect world everything just drops into place, unfortunately when restoring a vehicle even with factory used or NOS parts, that never seems to hold true, so compromise is your only solution, you need to position the rockers both inner and outer so that they follow/match/align with the contours of the doors, rear quarter sheet metal temporarily installed, and the lower section of the front fender, it's always best to just tack the pieces into place first, then test fit the adjoining components/sheetmetal and make what adjustments are needed, don't be afraid of having to section/modify the inner rocker, don't make the mistake of assuming that even if holes/slots/ribs etc line up that your good to go, always test fit all components involved in the build up, because there's nothing worse than having to undo a lot of work later on

It's going to come down to a judgement call on your behalf as to what you'll accept in fitment and what mods that may have to be made to get all the pieces in harmony with one another

Ideally you want the holes to line up somewhat, but holes if off can always be welded up, ground smooth and relocated, the two skins should match closely to each under on the bottom mating halves, but if you have to trim off some so that the overlap is acceptable don't be afraid to modify...your prime importance is how the door, fender and quarter align with the rockers

Mike

Mike DC

Just to throw this out there -

On my '69, the bottom rocker flanges are NOT exactly even/level from left to right.  The subframe rails are a more trustworthy reference on the unibody.   

moparqueen

wow im sorry for the late reply guys, my email didn't notifty me at all when i got this, thank you so much for replying, i'm gonna mess with it today and see if i can get it on better.

Mike, i'm relieved to hear they are not exactly even/level on both sides because it seems impossible to get them toward that way.

Day clona, i will try test fitting my quarter on before i weld these, thank you, it looks like ill need to do some modifying then.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

charger_fan_4ever

Is it an AMD rocker ?

Used an AMD on my 70 and it fit like a glove. That the 1 piece trunk pan and 1 piece floor fit really well. the other AMD sheetmetal not so much.