News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

vfn fiberglass fenders no side marker holes

Started by jwells1993, August 23, 2017, 06:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwells1993

bought fiberglass fenders off a guy in new jersey for 200 bucks they dont have side marker cutouts has anyone grafted some in i have an idead on how i would do it just wanna pick someone elses brain first
keep on keepin on

DAY CLONA

I've done a few fiberglass fendered cars, side markers are usually missing on the vendors fenders, if you want factory looking recesses to hold the markers, locate where the light needs to be, cut an opening for the light slightly oversized, so that basically the light  just"falls" thru the hole, sand out and detail the edges cut so they appear "factory" rolled/stamped (basically "soft" in appearance) then sand the back side of the opening around the fender flat, free from bumps, rough mat, find some plastic sheet like polyethylene or teflon that has the same thickness as the fender's light opening that you just cut, then cut a plug that fits the opening tightly, tape it in the opening from the outside making sure the backside of the installed plastic plug and fender are level with one another, then fiberglass resin and mat the back side with about 3 layers of mat/resin to make approximately a 1/8" thick built up over the entire back side of the guide light opening, extending no more than an inch around the backside of the opening, after it cures remove the taped in plastic sheet light plug, if you use polyethylene or teflon sheet, it won't stick when the resin cures, will leave a smooth surface, and you'll now have a recessed factory looking opening, just trim open the recess so that you have the desired lip width to retain you side marker in it's recessed opening

here's the 70 recessed side markers on my 70 Daytona fiberglass fenders, my fenders have all the shapes, flanges, recesses, brackets, seam sealer, holes, slots etc that factory steel fenders have, if you take the time to recreate all the details, no one ever notices

jwells1993

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 25, 2017, 08:47:04 PM
I've done a few fiberglass fendered cars, side markers are usually missing on the vendors fenders, if you want factory looking recesses to hold the markers, locate where the light needs to be, cut an opening for the light slightly oversized, so that basically the light  just"falls" thru the hole, sand out and detail the edges cut so they appear "factory" rolled/stamped (basically "soft" in appearance) then sand the back side of the opening around the fender flat, free from bumps, rough mat, find some plastic sheet like polyethylene or teflon that has the same thickness as the fender's light opening that you just cut, then cut a plug that fits the opening tightly, tape it in the opening from the outside making sure the backside of the installed plastic plug and fender are level with one another, then fiberglass resin and mat the back side with about 3 layers of mat/resin to make approximately a 1/8" thick built up over the entire back side of the guide light opening, extending no more than an inch around the backside of the opening, after it cures remove the taped in plastic sheet light plug, if you use polyethylene or teflon sheet, it won't stick when the resin cures, will leave a smooth surface, and you'll now have a recessed factory looking opening, just trim open the recess so that you have the desired lip width to retain you side marker in it's recessed opening

here's the 70 recessed side markers on my 70 Daytona fiberglass fenders, my fenders have all the shapes, flanges, recesses, brackets, seam sealer, holes, slots etc that factory steel fenders have, if you take the time to recreate all the details, no one ever notices

that's a great idea thank you
keep on keepin on