News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Local hoarder selling out.

Started by BrianShaughnessy, August 24, 2017, 06:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Brian, what the heck are you trying to say? You dance around the subject without giving any specifics just like a Politician!
Is the guy going crazy? Is he three days from the grave? Was the collection sold for pennies on the dollar?

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 27, 2017, 12:47:54 PM
Brian, what the heck are you trying to say? You dance around the subject without giving any specifics just like a Politician!
Is the guy going crazy? Is he three days from the grave? Was the collection sold for pennies on the dollar?

:popcrn:

I haven't spoken to him in over a year so I don't know all the FACTs.     He didn't look good but that doesn't mean he's dying now.   He might be in debt big time... selling his business with or without equipment.       Originally when the trucks showed up a few weeks ago I had heard he sold them all for many millions.   Most likely the figure is somewhere under $ 1 million.      When he would attend cars shows in years past,  he would get friends to drive them there and back and one time it was advertised as his $2M collection. 

Otherwise,  it was rumored he had a hard time retaining employees because he was a dick  :shruggy:  That seemed out of character to me, but I never worked for him.   The last few times I had seen him he started spouting off about the local car crowd after he had decided not to host the Friday cruises anymore due to his declining health.    :Twocents:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Kern Dog

Thank you. I now realize that you were probably trying to be respectful and to NOT talk shit like I often do. Sorry for being impatient with you.   :2thumbs:

fastmark

Well as usually happens there are plenty of rumors spreading around on a deal like this and I'll try not to add to the rumors and only state facts. My best friend knows the guy well. He sold him the purple AAR several years ago. I built all the mechanicles for the car and did a lot of the detail work. I know the car from the ground up. It won several shows and it's class at the Mopar  Nats. It is nice. Alan is a great painter and he had a superb body man do all the metal work. It's not as fast as mine,😉 but that's another story.  He even flew a couple of places to inspect cars for this guy down in the south before he bought them. Alan says he's a nice guy. I would not call him a hoarder, though. His business did well and he bought nice cars. Like most people with too many toys, you can't use them all. They can be investments and you just take care of them. I'm in the same boat only with nice project cars. As far as his health is concerned, it's fine as of today. I can't speak for the past. I can't really give any more details, even though I know the whole story. When circumstances in life or business change, you sometimes have to do things you'd rather not do just to live and fight another day. The main thing one needs to remember in a deal like this is to not be to quick to judge a fellow because things can happen to ANY one of us and we might be in a tight spot as well. I doubt he would tell us all his personal business descions and I imagine the stress of loosing all your collection would be hard.
The one that gains to profit on all of this is not him but the Mecoms. I think he should have consigned the whole lot, not sell them. I would hate to be bidding on a car that belong to the auction house that was selling it. I would think the chances of shill bidding would be easy to get away with. All those guys in the back of the room on phones to "bidders"? Yea, right.

Aero426

Quote from: fastmark on September 03, 2017, 02:21:51 PM
Well as usually happens there are plenty of rumors spreading around on a deal like this and I'll try not to add to the rumors and only state facts. My best friend knows the guy well. He sold him the purple AAR several years ago. I built all the mechanicles for the car and did a lot of the detail work. I know the car from the ground up. It won several shows and it's class at the Mopar  Nats. It is nice. Alan is a great painter and he had a superb body man do all the metal work. It's not as fast as mine,😉 but that's another story.  He even flew a couple of places to inspect cars for this guy down in the south before he bought them. Alan says he's a nice guy. I would not call him a hoarder, though. His business did well and he bought nice cars. Like most people with too many toys, you can't use them all. They can be investments and you just take care of them. I'm in the same boat only with nice project cars. As far as his health is concerned, it's fine as of today. I can't speak for the past. I can't really give any more details, even though I know the whole story. When circumstances in life or business change, you sometimes have to do things you'd rather not do just to live and fight another day. The main thing one needs to remember in a deal like this is to not be to quick to judge a fellow because things can happen to ANY one of us and we might be in a tight spot as well. I doubt he would tell us all his personal business descions and I imagine the stress of loosing all your collection would be hard.
The one that gains to profit on all of this is not him but the Mecoms. I think he should have consigned the whole lot, not sell them. I would hate to be bidding on a car that belong to the auction house that was selling it. I would think the chances of shill bidding would be easy to get away with. All those guys in the back of the room on phones to "bidders"? Yea, right.

All good points.   Well stated.