News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to use to stop aluminum corrosion ?

Started by 440, August 24, 2017, 08:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you guys use to stop aluminum corrosion under the hood?

Long story short due to lack of undercover space one of my cars sits outside under a waterproof cover. It is the tail end of winter and upon charging the battery back up I was surprised to see the ugly aluminum corrosion is quickly is starting to take over everything. Luckily I found it when I did as it just wipes off at this stage but I think if left any longer would become a much bigger issue.

Any semi lasting solutions like a wax based product that you know of or? Thank.

Ok, I must be the only one with this problem  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Lennard

green69rt

Quote from: 440 on August 26, 2017, 07:39:11 AM
Ok, I must be the only one with this problem  :icon_smile_blackeye:

You may be able to use something like RPM.  I haven't looked at the jar to see if it is recommended for aluminum but seems like it would work.

http://ecs-rpm.com/

c00nhunterjoe

Are you trying to preserve smooth polished aluminum, or rough cast? Polished i just keep it waxed up with mothers or any other polish. Rough cast is more difficult. I ended up painting my intake rough cast aluminum and it solved that problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. The polished parts are easy as Mothers fixes it up quicky and has a protective wax. The problems are the cast aluminum parts like intake, alternator, water pump etc

Bronzedodge

Well, either Krylon clear or you spend big bucks and have it anodized.
Mopar forever!

Troy

I live in Ohio and that happens to every car I own it seems. I don't know of any easy covering to stop it (wax, etc.). If something like RPM would work that would be great. If it gets to be more than a fine dust you can remove it with Marvel Mystery Oil - which also helps protect it for a while. To stop it from happening, you can clear it or use a cast paint as mentioned (but that's a lot more work!).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

green69rt

Just checked the web site and it says that RPM works on all bare metals including aluminum.  Worth a shot.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Troy, does the Marvel Mystery Oil stain or discolor the cast alloy?

The RPM and Sharkhide products look good. I'm liking the RPM stuff. Go for a drive and then paint it on.

On a side note I always paint my tie rods etc in clear but this might be a whole lot easier.

Thanks  :thumbs: