News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bugs In Your Grille

Started by Ghoste, August 25, 2017, 09:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I'm not sure if this a rant, a boast or a question.  I like to drive my Charger and I live near a lot of bodies of water so insect collisions are frequent.  I use Windex, let it soak for about ten minutes, then hit it again and use a soft toothbrush.  This take s a lot of time as you can imagine.  Is there a faster method?

68X426

Welcome back Ghoste, good to read a post from you.

You got that right - time consuming.  I haven't found a solution (no pun intended).

Actually I have - I use straight rubbing alcohol, it dries the bugs up fast and then it's real easy to brush them off.

All the other solutions seem to leave the bugs sticky or gooey, takes more work or time.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Hmm, thats an interesting approach.  I've always tried things to soften them but I will give the rubbing alcohol a try.

Alaskan_TA

Wear them with pride!

This was after a round trip from Alaska through the Yukon back into Alaska & return.  :cheers:

Ghoste

Haha.  Yes, I am proud of the fact the car gets driven but I like it to be nice too.  Black car so it forces cosmetic maintenance on you.  I'm not fanatical but they can be a problem.

Ghoste

This is my radiator after a 30 minute cruise along the north shore of Lake Erie this past May, so you can imagine what the outside of the car was like.  The windshield was plastered.  It isnt always like this of course, but it is a rural area around a lot of water so bugs are everywhere.

Bronzedodge

It can be a challenge to find a really, really soft bristled brush.  That and soapy water, dishwashing liquid.  Tons of bugs here in rural Maryland in August.
Mopar forever!

Dino

Cover the grille in RainX. Maybe the bugs will slide right off when they hit it.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PlainfieldCharger

I use my vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment. The remaining bug pieces I use a glass cleaner too but it is a aerosol product. It is a Sprayway product. It is the same formula used in their lithographic products.After I wet the bug pieces down and use a soft bristle to remove them. I also use it to clean the matte black on my tail panel. The exhaust fumes coating comes right off. :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on August 26, 2017, 07:41:17 PM
Cover the grille in RainX. Maybe the bugs will slide right off when they hit it.   :icon_smile_big:

That's not as laughable as you may think. All though inreplace rain ex with incleaner I was turned onto by the Hellcat crowd. It's an aresol can of stuff called Honda spray cleaner and polish .Cleans well and leave a very light film behind that keeps stuff from adhering.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on August 27, 2017, 10:03:30 AM

That's not as laughable as you may think. All though inreplace rain ex with incleaner I was turned onto by the Hellcat crowd. It's an aresol can of stuff called Honda spray cleaner and polish .Cleans well and leave a very light film behind that keeps stuff from adhering.

I was only half joking but really didn't know of a good enough product to try. On my daily, which doesn't have any nooks like a Charger, I just wax the front from time to time and way less bugs stick to that one.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I found a coat or two of good auto wax really helps prevent bugs from sticking so they just wash off. The last big trip road I did (non Mopar) had amazig results, less bugs overall and the remaining bugs came off easily.

Bugs in the radiator are a different story but shade cloth seems to be one of the most popular barriers.

Ghoste

I dont know about a coating on the plastic portions of the grille and headlight doors though?

HeavyFuel

After hitting them with the light spray of water, I use a soft polyester paint brush, probably 2", to clean bugs out of the grill fins, and very warm water.

I also use a car wash soap that has a mild waxing agent.....I think that helps the bugs to not stick as much as they normally would.

Compressed air makes quick work of the puddling water in and around the grill/headlight area.  I don't like standing water anywhere on my car.  And for no particular reason, I'll add that the only part of my car that ever sees a garden hose is the radiator and everything in front of it, the rear tail lights and panel, and the tires/wheels/wheel wells.  Every other part of the car gets special treatment when it needs cleaning.

I hate water on my car.  I hate air that has water in it near my car.   My wife gives me tons of crap because I won't put my daily in the garage next to my Car, if the daily is wet.  Especially in the winter, if the daily is covered with snow and ice, which will just melt and fill the garage with 100% humidity.    My wife thinks I'm nuts....but I think she's a queen B, so....

HPP

Try spraying it with non-stick cooking spray before your trip.

Ghoste

You could be on to something.

krops cars

I watched a show 20 years ago. I think it was old 2 guys garage. The used pam on the paint and grille.

4mayhemi

Quote from: Ghoste on August 26, 2017, 09:05:13 AM
This is my radiator after a 30 minute cruise along the north shore of Lake Erie this past May
Next time put a fiberglass window screen in front of it.
Many guys in corn country do this and it doesn't limit airflow.