News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this supposed to look like this ??

Started by 70 sublime, August 26, 2017, 07:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

My 69 Charger has always had the driver front wheel have a bad lean to it
I have changed all the bushing and joints in the front suspension except the lower control arm bushing
So I finally got it apart
Pressed the new bushing in the arm and got everything back together
Wheel still tips over too far
I have never had this apart before on any of my other cars so did not really think anything of it at the time and this is just the way they were  
But after looking at another K frame I have out I fear this sleeve on the pivot bolt is something that should be welded into the K frame
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Yep, looks like you're in the market for another K member. If you go stock I suggest you beef it up. Firm Feel has a kit although you can make the pieces yourself.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

That's about the most common weak spot (long term metal fatigue) on the chassis of these cars.  People usually discover they are cracking before the whole tube tears out entirely, though.  Yours is pretty bad. 

I'm sure it could be re-welded just fine by a decent fabricator.  But decent used K-frames aren't expensive.  On 2nd-gens they ran the same ones for smallblock & big block V8s.  Only the Hemis and slant-6s were different ones.  The 1970-later ones were slightly different from the earlier ones because of the swaybar change. 

70 sublime

I have another K frame around so I guess I now know what my next project is going to be  :brickwall:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Check this out: http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_k_frame_reinforcement.html

I installed the $75 kit. Well worth it unless you want to do it yourself.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bronzedodge

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 27, 2017, 09:14:04 AM
I have another K frame around so I guess I now know what my next project is going to be  :brickwall:

You could do the trick where you hold up the motor with long 5/16" studs from the carb flange to a 4"x4" cribbed up across the fenderwells.  Then you don't have to pull the motor.  Guy I know did it with 1/4" foam rubber down first, then a 6" section of 2x6, then the 4x4 post across the top of the motor. I'm sure there's a YouTube video about it somewhere. 
Mopar forever!

Ryan.C

If I had to do it again I would buy a QA1 k-member and not have gone the firm feel stiffening kit route.   :Twocents:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.