News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air in fuel tank

Started by q8charger, September 01, 2017, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No

No
1 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

q8charger

Hello,

Having problems putting gas into my 1969 charger new tank new line . I believe it's Air in the fuel tank.

70 sublime

Do you have the factory fill tube that goes from gas cap to the tank ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

q8charger

i have chrome fill tube like factory style

ACUDANUT

You have to have air in the fuel tank.  If not, imagine sucking a straw in a Sealed can. :Twocents:

70 sublime

Quote from: q8charger on September 01, 2017, 12:37:38 PM

Does the chrome tube have the split liner in it like the factory that lets the air come back up one side when the gas is going down the other side ?

firefighter3931

The tank needs to be vented or pressure will build up and it will vapor lock. The factory system is vented off the filler tube so make sure your's is venting properly.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

JR

I'd also bet its a clogged filler vent tube.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

70 sublime

When I read the original post I thought it sounds like he is have problems filling the gas tank

Kern Dog

The OP isn't being  very clear. Air is everywhere. When the tank is empty, air is in there. When the tank is full, there is still some air in the evap system.
To get the air out of my gas tank, I just put gas in it. It is NOT like a hydraulic system or diesel fuel lines where air in it causes a problem.

dual fours

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 01, 2017, 05:59:46 PM
Quote from: q8charger on September 01, 2017, 12:37:38 PM

Does the chrome tube have the split liner in it like the factory that lets the air come back up one side when the gas is going down the other side ?
More aftermarket FU's? Stand against the side of your car with the gas cap opened, now look into the neck/tube, at your 12 o'clock position down in the neck/tube do you see something like a separate piece attached inside the neck/tube (yellow ring)? This piece is being called the split liner. If the split liner is not visible, then gas going down the tube has to fight the air coming up the tube.    
I also marked the overflow tube in this picture (black arrow).
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

70 sublime

A couple more pictures I took yesterday