News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock Rocker Arms and Shafts Maximum Lift?

Started by Mastodon08, September 01, 2017, 12:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mastodon08

Hello gentlemen, I'm a young dude here.... my question is simple. What is the maximum lift the stock rocker arms and shafts can handle? I'm looking to buy new rockers and shafts but they are basically like the old stock ones.  The max lift I'll be running is .513"... if you go on summitracing.com and search for Mopar 440 rocker arms, you will see the Sealed Power rocker arms, part numbers R-828 and R-829. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on the site for these guys.

Thank you!

PRH

Stock rockers will work fine at .513 lift.

The only real issue is this.....
Bigger cams need high spring pressures to maintain control of the valvetrain.
In time, what often happens is the rockers get fatigued in the pushrod socket area, to the point where the pushrods will poke a hole through the rocker arm.
I've had this happen myself a couple of times.

That more agressive the cam profile, the higher the spring loads....... The quicker it happens.

Years ago MP sold "heavy duty" stamped rockers that had extra material added to pushrod socket area, but I don't think those have been available for well over 10 years.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

Kern Dog

One of the reasons that the Mopar "purple shaft" cams had lower lifts in relation to their long duration numbers were to allow them to be used with the stock rocker arms and shafts.

bee1971

Quote from: Mastodon08 on September 01, 2017, 12:31:25 PM
Hello gentlemen, I'm a young dude here.... my question is simple. What is the maximum lift the stock rocker arms and shafts can handle? I'm looking to buy new rockers and shafts but they are basically like the old stock ones.  The max lift I'll be running is .513"... if you go on summitracing.com and search for Mopar 440 rocker arms, you will see the Sealed Power rocker arms, part numbers R-828 and R-829. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on the site for these guys.

Thank you!

Those same Sealed Power rocker arms and new shafts just showed up at my door today - Everthing looks great

Will bee using them on my Numbers Matching 383/432 Stroker Kit - 1971 Superbee

Not that I can say my factory original rocker arms and shafts where junk , but at almost 50 years of miles and wear I didn't want to reuse them on my Edelbrock E Street Heads

I have two friends running 496 Stroker 383 s , both are using there factory original rocker arms and shafts

One is running the Comp XE 274 H Cam with the Factory Heads and new valve springs etc. factory valvetrain

One is running the Comp XE 275 HL Cam with Stealth Heads and the factory valvetrain

I plan on running that same Comp XE 275 HL Cam with my Edelbrock E Street Heads - Sealed Power Rockers and Shafts - Comp Cams Pushrods

Mastodon08

That Comp XE 275 HL Cam is the one with .525" lift correct? (Thank you all for the information!)