News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PS Steering Swap To Borgeson - straightforward or not?

Started by XH29N0G, September 02, 2017, 02:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I am considering swapping the PS to the borgeson box sold by Bergman Autocraft.  I still need to call them, but before I do, I am will ask the those who have done these swaps how complicated they are.  They look fairly straightforward and like the most difficult thing might be pulling out the old box and sliding in the new one (around headers and the K-Frame). 

I also have a Federal PS pump and see that Bergman sells a modified Saginaw.  Do I need to swap the PS pump too, or does it matter for this.  I cleaned up the federal pump a few years ago and it seems to work well.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

BLK 68 R/T

Pretty sure you have to pull the steering column and shorten the shaft. Also will require their special coupler to adapt the shaft to the new box.

XH29N0G

Thanks, that much I understand too.  The pulling of the steering column up does not look particularly difficult from what I have seen, but not having done it I don't know if there will be tricks I should know.  That is why I asked.  Thanks for the quick response.  The step that I am worried about is disconnecting the pitman arm, but it looks like one uses a puller like for a pulley, and I am also worried about making sure I line things up right on reassembly, but I do not know a priori what to look for and if I figure out a posteriori that I did something wrong it can be too late.

Or maybe it protects us. 

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: XH29N0G on September 02, 2017, 03:34:10 PM
The step that I am worried about is disconnecting the pitman arm, but it looks like one uses a puller like for a pulley, and I am also worried about making sure I line things up right on reassembly, but I do not know a priori what to look for and if I figure out a posteriori that I did something wrong it can be too late.

Swapped in a firm feel, I had a couple pullers on hand, but none were thin enough for the pitman arm. YMMV. But, if needed, I grabbed a $15 pitman puller from Harbor Freight.  It worked great.  Cheaper tool, just don't go monster on it.  Tighten it and tap the arm and repeat.  One reviewer said they used an air tool on it with no problem, but I didn't risk it  Also, the arm is keyed by lack of splines in 4 places.  I just centered the column spline on the new box and fit the pitman arm back on at same location.  With the notches it would be way off otherwise.

Kern Dog

I thought that the Bergman kit allowed the retention of the stock steering shaft and that they included a new coupler that was essentially an adapter.

XH29N0G

Thanks for both additional replies.  

Kern Dog, I also am under the impression that there is a coupler with the Bergman kit, but will verify.  

BIGBLCK11, Thank you for the pointer about the pitman arm puller and technique for using it.  These pullers are then more robust than the pulley pullers and important to have on hand - for me this is good information.  I am not sure I fully understand the issue about alignment of the pitman arm with the splines on the steering gear. It sounds like the pitman arm should slide on only with the notches lined up. I cannot picture what you mean when you describe centering the column spline on the new box.  

• Did you rotate at the place where the worm shaft meets the steering shaft?  
  • Or did you rotate at the place where the pitman arm connects to the cross shaft (that is keyed)?
  • Or is there another adjustment that needs to be made?

My guess is that it is rotating the wormshaft so it is centered, and then rotate a little from there to find the location where the pitman arm lines up so the wheels point forward?  After that, connect the steering column so it is aligned.  

Thanks again.  It sounds like the places where the swap might go sideways are:

• Getting the pitman arm off of the cross shaft.  
  • Getting the old steering box out and new one in.  (I assume if worse comes to worse, I either remove headers, raise the side of the engine, or drop the K-frame.  (any thoughts on this?)
  • Aligning the pitman arm with the cross shaft and then the steering column so the travel is centered.

Or maybe it protects us. 

BIGBLCK11

Your guess was correct, sorry for the wording on that.  I centered it by rotating the worm shaft.  The position of pitman arm was dictated by the notches.  I made sure I had the wheels as straight as possible when I put it on the four post lift, so their positioning wasn't a factor when it was apart. 

BLK 68 R/T

Little internet research  :cheers:
https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1748

Edit: Found this as well...http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0010

Both sites contradict each other with one stating you need to modify, and the other you don't  ;)

Probably best to call Bergman and tell them exactly what you are stating with, looks like they have a multitude of fittings and hoses to fit the different power steering pumps.  :Twocents:

XH29N0G

Thank you, I had missed that one. I guess I still need to figure out if a different pump is needed.  The pressure from the federal pump I have is similar to the spec for that Saginaw.  I do not know the flow rate though. 

Anyone have thoughts on this? 

Or maybe it protects us. 

TeleThunder

Hi
I got one from Bergman Autocraft, fits loke a glove :2thumbs:
I provided the "adapter" so no cutting of steering shaft needed. And what a great improvement of the steering, like a new car :2thumbs:
But this is on a 73 Charger....
I am still using the old power steering pump, works like a charm but hope fully new new pump goes in this winter.
Only "problem" is the pressure hose need some help/reflaring or bending to fit, might be corrected now from Bergman. Note that pressure hose goes where the return pipe is attached on last pichure, was just a testfit.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on September 03, 2017, 09:09:55 AM
Both sites contradict each other with one stating you need to modify, and the other you don't 

That's because the original Borgeson conversion used a coupler that wasn't really correct for Mopars (no slip action).  The Bergman coupler is a better design and needs no column mods.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.