News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

Got this car in August 2017 and will share the restoration.

WINGMAN

It is curved glass, what dimension is yours. Side to side, up and down. (Wingman)  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

kevs1969daytona

Ok from the INSIDE of the chrome 42 1/2 by 20 1/2 I am pretty sure its just a regular charger back window. Ya just measured my 70 it's the same size.

A383Wing

looks like a stock tunnel back glass raised up and molded to a fastback style.....the OE Daytona & C500 rear glass is longer from top to bottom

Moparsaver

Great car Kevin.  Thanks for sharing.   What is the diagnosis on the engine noise?  Thanks Tom

kevs1969daytona

Looks like a bad rod, having the owner of a local speed shop come by today and give me a quote.  I have 2 extra engines to take as part trade for him.

kevs1969daytona

He just came by, he too thinks the rod is knocking, said for $7000 Cdn thats about $5600 USA plus all my engine parts from the 440 and 413.  His shop will replace the engine with about 425 hp, 440, balanced, new rad and cooling system R and R.  Will drop off the car on Thursday.   Will take a few weeks.

white

I just had a 440 rebuilt to stock spec but can run on unleaded for $3,900 USD in Feb this year. That included break in and dyno.

kevs1969daytona

It's Canada everything is expensive here, was quoted $16000 for a 500 hp motor from one shop

white

Sorry missed that part, your correct about it being more in Canada.

aerolith

Thats crazy money for a 440 motor!
I can't get more than £3000 for a fully rebuilt 440 here in the UK!!! :slap:

Every one I build I lose money on, but hey, its better than watching the Simpsons... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

If the exchange rate was better I would send you one of my 70 date coded engines, 500+hp and used to run tens in a street driven Roadrunner... :2thumbs:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

alfaitalia

£3000..? For a stock factory style rebuild with stockish compression pistons and factory type power output?....or a tuned up build?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

aerolith

Hi Alfa,
Every build is different so pricing is difficult to pin down.
Most UK 440's are ex jensen engines with HD rods and 8.2 to 1 pistons, they are in fact 1973-1976 hd truck engines with a 4bbl manifold.
When they put them in the MK111 Interceptors they were slower than the 383 MK11's.
This prompted a few real HP high comp engines to be built and put into super-rare Six-pack models, based on the 70-71 SP engine.

So when a 440 turns up its all about what it is and how much abuse it has had?
Date coded 68-71 440's are probably twice the price of cobbled up motors from a motorhome etc.
There are no 'bad' 440 blocks or post 67 iron heads, plus all 'steel crank' engines are of premium quality anyways.
The rest of the parts are down to budget, which can run and run and run.into thousands.

I rebuilt a low-comp 73 ex jenny 440 motor for £500 a while back and its still running good, ten years on!
I also built a £5000 race 440, that lasted about a week or two...

You win some you lose some... :shruggy:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

kevs1969daytona

Just dropped off the entire 2 engines 440 and 413 plus tons of parts.  Cars in the shop (Pro Stock, performance, in Edmonton) about to get the engine (bad rod) pulled in these pics

70 sublime

Progress

First picture I have seen under the hood
Do you have the part that fills the space between the rad support and the nose cone off or just never had one on your car ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

no tray, the z brackets are way to close as well,have to spread them to put the signal lights in when the new grill comes

white

Nice car! Good thing you have all those extra engine parts. You will be up and running soon and with a smile on your face!

kevs1969daytona

Ya no tray on the front and totally agree the z brackets are way too close, when I send it to the body guy I will have to get them apart so the signal lights will fit.  What I am missing is as follows, wood grain steering wheel, 69 bucket front seats, the gas gauge is toast, the speedo does not work, front end about 2 inchs too high, the nose grill, 69 valiant signal lights, wing supports for the trunk, and need and probably the most expensive the rear plug/window is not right with rear window ( I have decided that I need to do it right, "in for a penny in for a pound") .  I have budgeted about $20000 to be correct.

kevs1969daytona

Took the engine out today will find out tomorrow what the real cause for the knock.  Also picked up a set of Valiant signal lights $200 cdn about $150 US.  Got them from a super nice guy owns a  flata auto wreck in Tilly Alberta, said he has 4 1969 valiant's in the yard.  He supposed to have tons of MOPAR parts.

FJMG

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on September 09, 2017, 08:06:06 AM
no tray, the z brackets are way to close as well,have to spread them to put the signal lights in when the new grill comes

Will you modify yours or will you be looking for repo Z-brackets?

70 sublime

Was the engine hoist long enough to lift the motor out over the nose cone or did it come out sideways over the fender ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

I will ask about the engine removal, but to answer the the z brackets they are loose inside there, I will have to separate the z brackets.  Theres a different type of bracket in there not straight like others I have seen on this site,  the support brackets holding the nose on is at a 45 degree angle (will take some pics soon of the bracket).  So yesterday I went by the shop, the guy tells me he can't find the main caps for the date coded 70 440 block (which he tested and it's a good block) however, without the caps the block is worthless according to him.  He ask me if I have them.  I say "I will have a look". So when I get of of work last night at 0500 hrs, I find the main caps for the bearings on the shelf, ok cool no problems.  So at 4pm this afternoon I show up at the shop with the caps.  The guy dips his head and says "I just sent the block to the metal recycle's" we don't have enough room here he says. I say WTF !!!!!. So I rush over to this metal junk yard place, and luckily enough the block with a few other blocks are laying a a puddle of mud (wrecked my new running shoes in 1 foot of mud).   Even the guy who runs the yard was shaking his head.  They gave the shop $12 for a date code 1970 440 block.  Was not very happy.  The block is heading back to were it belongs  

BLK 68 R/T

Me thinks you need to find a new engine shop asap. They have proven what dumbshits they are! Would not trust them with anything!

Glad to got your block back though.

FJMG

Wait, what?...
THEY THROUGH OUT YOUR ENGINE BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flame: :RantExplode: :brickwall:

And they did not respect you or your property enough to go retrieve it after you wanted it back????????

If you are seriously staying with them I think you need to let them know, in no uncertain terms, that ANYTHING, EVEN A BOLT, that they think is "worthless" be placed in a box and you will pick up at the end of the day.

What blk said; glad you got it back!

kevs1969daytona

Totally agree, I went by the shop, spoke with the owners daughter who works in the office.  Apparently this is turning into a big deal, I think someone is in huge trouble.  The shop owner is super pissed as well.   I took some pics of the brackets,  are these regular 1969 brackets ??? these are at a angle all the others I have ever seen come straight out.   One pic shows a little arrow were the hood pins are supposed to go.  The body shop will have to correct that.  They took the engine out pulling it out sideways, too long with the cone, hood stayed on guy said no issues.