News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

DAY CLONA

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on September 14, 2017, 11:35:50 PMI took some pics of the brackets,  are these regular 1969 brackets ??? these are at a angle all the others I have ever seen come straight out.  

What you have are fiberglass repro brackets/Z bars that have been "fubar'd", all the other steel brackets/braces and what appears to be the stock 70 Charger front bumper are all hiding in there, it appears they used the 70 Charger bumper as the hanging point as well as the construction point to create a Daytona nose..... FYI: factory Z bars are steel, they are supported by steel C frames that bolt on where the factory stock Charger front bumper brackets were, the latchtray bolts to the top of the Z bars and to a brace welded onto the front of the radiator yoke, I suspect the hidden bumper/brackets inside your nose cone are doing all the support work, you need to decide if your going to rip it all out?, or just fabricate what you need to do to mount a latchtray, your front directionals, etc, etc

kevs1969daytona

Thanks I will need all this info when I send it off to the body shop.  I am sure they have never dealt with this kind of thing before  :cheers:

kevs1969daytona

So spoke with the engine shop, said my block (1973 block) is toast, something to do the the main oil port is done.  So guess what engine they are going to build up.  Yes the date coded 1970 block the one they through out.  Glad I went and got it from the metal recyclers.

BLK 68 R/T

Make sure you get the other block back. I have a hard time believing anything can be wrong with an oil port on it judging by what they did with your other block. Even if the threads are messed up on the oil pickup, they can be drilled and tapped for a 1/2 oil pickup.

kevs1969daytona

I will double check thanks, something about the number 1 main being 50 thousand of  inch.  Way out of my league when it comes to old engines.

Stevetona

I'd be so pissed they took the block to the dump that I would take my business elsewhere even if it cost twice as much!

kevs1969daytona

Here's a picture of the heads getting done, we talked about getting headers for the car instead of regular exhaust manifolds, said maybe 45 more hp and better cooling.  Also looked at the engine that was knocking in the car, definitely bearing knock, the back main bearing was completely worn down.

kevs1969daytona

So I was looking at my rear plug and hate it, way too high, I always seem to look at the worst part of my car when I am looking at it.  So I found a vega plug a little rusty at the bottom, but it should work, window is clean and chrome ok, I know I need to change the upper trunk molding with a "Plymouth Dutchman panel" I am not too sure were I would get one of those.  Getting parts for this car is becoming a pain in my ass.   I read ADM sells them for a few $100s, but what year and model would I get ??????

Dave Kanofsky

I can't give any guidance on  the Vega/Dutchman panel, just wanted to encourage you to keep up the good work.  These cars can be a challenge, but are a blast when you drive them and make it all worth it.

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

70 sublime

Think what you have to decide is did they cut the trunk lid off in a straight line ( easier to do and bend the edge over) or are you going to try to go more original look and make the front edge of trunk lid have a curve to it
On mine I think I can live with it just being straight
I have a couple 73 B body parts cars around and have been told the trunk filler on them will work to get the right shape for the gasket to sit in along the front edge
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

Oh I thought with the vega window, it's absolutely necessary to get the Dutchman, I can live with a straight edge, most people would know the difference, I didn't when I saw it for the first time even having owned 2x 1970 chargers 1x 70 Challenger since the late 80's.  But now (since I been on this site) with that window being so high and not curved, it truly bugs the hell out of me.    :icon_smile_dissapprove:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on September 22, 2017, 12:11:01 PM
Oh I thought with the vega window, it's absolutely necessary to get the Dutchman, I can live with a straight edge, most people would know the difference, I didn't when I saw it for the first time even having owned 2x 1970 chargers 1x 70 Challenger since the late 80's.  But now (since I been on this site) with that window being so high and not curved, it truly bugs the hell out of me.    :icon_smile_dissapprove:

If your going to do the Vega plug, and want to simulate the Daytona/Charger 500 trunk lid/Dutchman curvature, use the 71-74 RR/GTX/SAT/Charger B body dutchman panel (new are available from AMD) your only going to use the trunk gutter from the panel and graft it to the Vega plug

kevs1969daytona

Went by the engine shop here's the 70 date coded 440 block they sent to the metal recyclers with the main caps on it lol, they start Monday rebuilding it. Also Got the 69 valiant signal lights (for the front cone) in today lens and body really good shape but the blubs had rusted to the inside of the blub reciprocal, easy fix I think.  

kevs1969daytona

Went by the engine shop they are almost done getting the engine together they are putting in Keith Black pistons, and Comp Cam Extreme Energy, considering TTI headers aswell instead of the H.P manifolds.  :shruggy:

kevs1969daytona

Ok so the car back from the shop with new motor, had overheating problems as per a post I put up, but that seems resolved. So heres what has been done so far.

New Engine  including: 1970 date code 440, ported a poshlished  original heads.
ARP Bolts
New Battery Cable
Competion Cam Mopar Extreme
Aluminator Rad and shroud
New Rod and Main Bearings
New Oil pump and screen
Keith Black pistons
Molly Rings
Hedderman Headers, (Had TTI Header but had clearance problems) also still need racing starter for the Headermans (clearance issues)
Street Roller Lifters
New Valve Springs
Edelbrock Intake / 750 carb
Dyno at 450 ish hp.
etc etc

They lowered the front end (was way to high), took the airbags out of the front and replaced with KYB shocks.

Had a rear passenger side cylinder leak on the brakes (fixed).

kevs1969daytona

Finally found a rear hatch from a Vega in mint shape.

So Have been looking for long time only one found was at autowrecker guy wanted $500.  Ouch.  Anyways put an add on kijiji and 3 months later I get a reply, super nice guy he's a firefighter, wants some of my police badges, so I trade straight across for some shoulder flashes

Lighthorseman

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on November 08, 2017, 03:17:54 PM
Finally found a rear hatch from a Vega in mint shape.

So Have been looking for long time only one found was at autowrecker guy wanted $500.  Ouch.  Anyways put an add on kijiji and 3 months later I get a reply, super nice guy he's a firefighter, wants some of my police badges, so I trade straight across for some shoulder flashes

Know the similarity between Police and firefighters?

They BOTH want to be Police.  :2thumbs:

alfaitalia

Over here the other services certainly don't want to be Police. A common phrase about cops from the other services is "last on the scene - first to leave!".
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

aerolith

Well done kev on getting the 440 together!

I was gonna ask about the rust staining in the rear bore?
Did they put a liner in there?

Good luck on the Vega hatch fitment.
Myself I would go all-in for a real plug and glass.
Same amount of work just a little dearer on parts... :scratchchin:

Aerolite

ps., who would put airbags on a Mopar???
ITS A NASCAR, not an off-roader... :slap: :slap: :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

kevs1969daytona

So now Pro Stock here in Edmonton did my engine there website has my car on its website, as per the link below thank you Pro Stock.   Anyways the A pillars are fiberglass with 3 screw holes so I called a company here in the city they can chrome the a pillar covers for $100 way better than $800 usa. just got to fill the holes with resin as per the pics.

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=Iy8KWsb4Ds7ajwO70a-ACg&q=pro+stock&oq=pro+stock&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39k1j0l9.1754.4916.0.5378.10.9.0.0.0.0.168.1184.0j9.9.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.9.1178.0..0i131k1j0i10k1.0.OVMw7AF0HIw

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

DAY CLONA

IMHO, spend the money on stainless A pillar moldings, scrap the fiberglass ones...