News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

Yea think I need a Daytona fiberglass one from aaaquality figerglass stinger.  Sean says 2 to 3 weeks reworking this one.  But it's real metal maybe someone will want it if its a real superbird cone with some modifications that need reversing  :shruggy:.  

kevs1969daytona

Ordered a nose cone from aarquality fiberglass cross my fingers, said up to 10 days to make another week to ship. was $700

https://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/products/nose-dodge-daytona

kevs1969daytona

kevs1969daytona

So the doors are now rust free.  Also the fender scoops not too sure how to check if they are real or reproduction.

DonC1

If you run a mini E wheel of some sort reversed over the fender edge top inside that would get rid of those hammer marks and create more of the natural 70 fender curve.

odcics2

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on May 27, 2018, 12:49:53 AM
So the doors are now rust free.  Also the fender scoops not too sure how to check if they are real or reproduction.

Real scoops have the part numbers molded into the bottom.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

kevs1969daytona

So the body panels are all on and rust taken out and repaired.  Now it's the alignment of the panels, think it's moving along nicely.

kevs1969daytona

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

70 sublime

The wing supports seem to be a little wide where they go on the bottom side of the 1/4
Do you have something between the support and the 1/4 ?
I do not think the 1/4 is that flat that wide and if you crank down the bolts for the wing it might leave a mark you could see on the top side  :shruggy:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

Not too sure we are going by the fella who has the private collection including 2 Daytonas to get a template of the trunk and rear plug will mention it to him. We will see if the scoops are real because he is missing a set or real scoops maybe wants to trade. 

kevs1969daytona

:o wow what a collection, super nice guy allowing us to get a template of the rear plug and trunk.  

70 sublime

I got these for my car
They are called wing washers
Go between 1/4 and brace
Helps spread the force over a greater area

kevs1969daytona

Lighthorseman

Looks like Sean negated your need for wing washers by putting that top plate on the set of braces he built.  Others (more knowledgeable than I...) will likely chime in.

I recall one thread in which someone with a set of fibreglass wing washers sealed the top of the inside quarter panel with Saran Wrap (?), then filled the washer with Bondo or fibreglass, creating a much more solid top brace.

moparstuart

Quote from: Lighthorseman on June 01, 2018, 07:57:19 AM
Looks like Sean negated your need for wing washers by putting that top plate on the set of braces he built.  Others (more knowledgeable than I...) will likely chime in.

I recall one thread in which someone with a set of fibreglass wing washers sealed the top of the inside quarter panel with Saran Wrap (?), then filled the washer with Bondo or fibreglass, creating a much more solid top brace.
Agreed the plate Sean put on top of your wing brackets is his version of a wing washer and will work perfectly for you , Unless your worried about the aesthetics .  just go with his they look way  stronger then fiber glass option and the correct steal ones are expensive  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

kevs1969daytona

I asked last night his response was " I have incorporated something similar into the wing support"  I will figure out what he did and post.

moparstuart

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on June 01, 2018, 02:00:42 PM
I asked last night his response was " I have incorporated something similar into the wing support"  I will figure out what he did and post.
you already posted it   ,   this is it 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

JB400

He made the wing support wide enough to support the whole wing upright, and the quarter panel

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 31, 2018, 09:40:44 PM
I got these for my car
Go between 1/4 and brace

Agreed... I'd be concerned with those fabricated plates flattening the crown of the fenders when the wing is tightened into place, and the sharp corners "poking" up into the skin, making for an unpleasant amount of rework, esp after paint/decal where most novice wingcar builders find out the errors of their ways, the factory wing washer contours with the shape of the qtr, front to back/side to side so that when it's tightened down, no distortion to the qtr skin takes place, all the corners are rounded, all the actual bolt areas are raised bosses, so that any qtr skin distortion is directly under the wing base only, not transmitted thru the surrounding qtr skin... I'd use at a minimum some fiberglass repro wing washer, steel are preferred as you can weld the lip to the trunk lip edge as intended and further secure the washer from movement/stress that will distort the qtr skin, if you use the fiberglass repros you could rivet/bolt them to the trunk lip as well, if your set on using the ones Sean fabricated, I'd suggest a little more tweaking is desired to avoid future qtr skin issues...

here's some factory and steel wingwashers repros to assist you in your research...

Mike

kevs1969daytona

ROFL well I called Sean and discussed the braces and the inserts.  Well he got pissed off and said it's already addressed, really pissed lol.  Kinda like Michael Angelo been criticized about the  Sistine Chapel. Boy he was so mad heard him throw a wrench (no B.S. he throw a wrench when I was on the phone). But I get it, think he's put his heart a soul into my car.  Lot's of street cred for him and his business when she done. I don't know who hes addressed the sharp edges making distortion but will check on it.  Thanks for the info and constructive criticism.   :2thumbs:

70 sublime

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 01, 2018, 09:00:14 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on May 31, 2018, 09:40:44 PM
I got these for my car
Go between 1/4 and brace

Agreed... I'd be concerned with those fabricated plates flattening the crown of the fenders when the wing is tightened into place, and the sharp corners "poking" up into the skin, making for an unpleasant amount of rework, esp after paint/decal where most novice wingcar builders find out the errors of their ways, the factory wing washer contours with the shape of the qtr, front to back/side to side so that when it's tightened down, no distortion to the qtr skin takes place, all the corners are rounded, all the actual bolt areas are raised bosses, so that any qtr skin distortion is directly under the wing base only, not transmitted thru the surrounding qtr skin... I'd use at a minimum some fiberglass repro wing washer, steel are preferred as you can weld the lip to the trunk lip edge as intended and further secure the washer from movement/stress that will distort the qtr skin, if you use the fiberglass repros you could rivet/bolt them to the trunk lip as well, if your set on using the ones Sean fabricated, I'd suggest a little more tweaking is desired to avoid future qtr skin issues...

here's some factory and steel wingwashers repros to assist you in your research...

Mike

That is exactly what I was getting at when I brought it up
Thinking it would bend the top of the 1/4 panel when the bolts were tightened down