News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

I will email them its not the end of the world but they should know

kevs1969daytona

Also Sean is keeping the templates for the z brackets and trunk to make metal z brackets and a Daytona trunk if anyone is interested.  :scratchchin: They are copies of the originals  He's one the the honest guys I have ever met.

held1823

z brackets need the turn signal holes cut out, before you can no longer get to them to do so

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

kevs1969daytona

Yes Sean will cut them them out.  The z brackets are in there for the fitting and placement.

DAY CLONA

The rear portion of your Z bar where the latch tray bolts to is slightly parallel to the bottom edge, not as angled as in your pic, your latch tray will not fit properly, if at all?

Mike

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on July 02, 2018, 08:04:47 AM
Yes Sean will cut them them out.  The z brackets are in there for the fitting and placement.

The z brackets I have made are not finished as of yet.  I am still mocking up the new fiberglass nose cone for fitment and will do all finishing touches prior to final body work and primer.

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 02, 2018, 08:21:02 AM
The rear portion of your Z bar where the latch tray bolts to is parallel to the bottom edge, not angled as in your pic, your latch tray will not fit properly, if at all?

Mike

I have access to two original Daytonas and have taken all measurements from them as to ensure yhist everything I am doing is 100% correct.  But thanks for the info.

70 sublime

I went back a few pages and did not see these
They are brackets that bolt to the Charger bumper bolt holes in the car frame and come straight forward and the bottom of the Z bracket bolts to them

These are the ones that came with my parts ( back of metal parts in picture U channel shaped but have a step in them as the car frame has a step in the same location )
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 02, 2018, 06:42:57 PM
I went back a few pages and did not see these
They are brackets that bolt to the Charger bumper bolt holes in the car frame and come straight forward and the bottom of the Z bracket bolts to them

These are the ones that came with my parts ( back of metal parts in picture U channel shaped but have a step in them as the car frame has a step in the same location )

This I know as well and have fabricated a set already and are bolted to the original bumper bracket location on the frame rail and the bottom of the z brackets.  Once again thanks for the info.

kevs1969daytona

More work on the nose cone, Sean has re-enforced the nose cone inside, and expanded the fiberglass on the outside to look and fit properly.  Also the hood pin holes where in the wrong spot and have been welded shut.

alfaitalia

Nose looks good now. But there is no excuse in supplying it as it was really. I was not really fit for purpose and you should not have to do what I would call fairly extensive reworking just to get it to fit the car it was designed for. You would expect to have to enlarge holes and finish edges etc.....but reshaping???? Typical aftermarket I'm afraid. Love following this thread and its nice to see her getting there.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 12, 2018, 10:37:33 AM
Nose looks good now. But there is no excuse in supplying it as it was really. I was not really fit for purpose and you should not have to do what I would call fairly extensive reworking just to get it to fit the car it was designed for. You would expect to have to enlarge holes and finish edges etc.....but reshaping???? Typical aftermarket I'm afraid. Love following this thread and its nice to see her getting there.

Unfortunately this is the case with some aftermarket parts and especially fiberglass.  I do agree that it should have had a better first right out of the box but that was not the case with this one.  I however do intend on sending pics to the supplier and see what they have to say.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Makingdreamsreality on July 12, 2018, 10:51:01 AM

Unfortunately this is the case with some aftermarket parts and especially fiberglass.  I do agree that it should have had a better first right out of the box but that was not the case with this one.  I however do intend on sending pics to the supplier and see what they have to say.

They won't care, they've been making this nose for about 10 yrs+, if they haven't changed it by now, they won't in the future, that's why I warned you guys earlier in the thread about using the Stinger nose, along with the other issues it will/could develop after install/aging...

FYI when you drill the hood pin bezels the Daytona screw orientation is a "+" configuration on the hood, not an "X"

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 12, 2018, 01:14:15 PM
Quote from: Makingdreamsreality on July 12, 2018, 10:51:01 AM

They won't care, they've been making this nose for about 10 yrs+, if they haven't changed it by now, they won't in the future, that's why I warned you guys earlier in the thread about using the Stinger nose, along with the other issues it will/could develop after install/aging...

FYI when you drill the hood pin bezels the Daytona screw orientation is a "+" configuration on the hood, not an "X"

If they have enough people saying something to them about it then there is always a possibility that they might.  In the long run it was a better choice than having to spend a countless hours trying to revamp the cobbled up metal one that was on it originally.

As for the hood pins and there stainless grommets I fo have pics but thanks for the info.

DonC1

I dunno why stinger has that horizontal flange around the headlight openings. It ain't factory. Here's the nosecone molds I use molded straight from a Real Daytona...no horizontal flanges., and ya I'm in Canada.

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: DonC1 on July 15, 2018, 08:24:42 PM
I dunno why stinger has that horizontal flange around the headlight openings. It ain't factory. Here's the nosecone molds I use molded straight from a Real Daytona...no horizontal flanges., and ya I'm in Canada.

Judging where the two moulds are put together is exactly where the seams are one the stinger nose cone. 

DonC1

Exactly? whats the measurement across your nosecone top corner to top corner prior to the additional 'glass. I'll measure my mold for comparison.

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: DonC1 on July 16, 2018, 01:49:27 AM
Exactly? whats the measurement across your nosecone top corner to top corner prior to the additional 'glass. I'll measure my mold for comparison.

It will be different now as I have already started reshaping the stinger nose cone.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: DonC1 on July 15, 2018, 08:24:42 PM
I dunno why stinger has that horizontal flange around the >>>>>>headlight openings.<<<<<< It ain't factory.

:scratchchin:

kevs1969daytona

prepare the garage for the Daytona

kevs1969daytona

More pics of car all the body metal works is done.

kevs1969daytona