News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

kevs1969daytona

OK summer has slowed things down, Sean took the engine out of the car ready for primer.  Now on a side note, if anyone remember I hard a bad overheating problems, when I got the new engine. Think I figured it out, original this car had a 1977 block when I picked it up last year. so with 1977 block in the car I got a new water pump for the damn thing (later learned had a bad main bearing so I rebuilt a new engine).  Guy at NAPA at the counter says, what years your car ??? I say 1969 of course,  so he hands me a brand new 1969 water pump (not the housing).  I had no idea that a 1969 water flows in a different direction than a 1977 mopar 440.  So long story short when the 1970 block was built they put the 1977 water pump housing on the block.  Sean calls me up say the mancini has a drivers side lower outlet, yours, is a passenger outlet, but we will put the new "pump in the housing"  Something did not feel right, so I called Mancini the tech say "no that's the correct housing and pump for a 1970 block" .  Sh** looked at the directional fins on the pump and figured it out.  I'm a moron.  I have had no idea. had to get a new radiator after buying a different one when the engine (date code 1970 block) was built.  heres some pics of the different water pumps a 440 has.   Hopefully my it cures the issue. Also got a "quik fuel 850" guys say extra 40 horse power. Got rid of the eldbrock  :shruggy:  that pic of the engine is close to $20000 cdn.  DONT TELL MY WIFE.

kevs1969daytona

Went by shop today, Sean has been busy, started priming the car and stripping the engine bay.

kevs1969daytona

DAY CLONA

For this poor dash it WAS the "last/longest yard", in my game book the vehicle is reduced to a bare shell before any body work, but I understand the shops mentality, it's a typical body shop, where vehicles are blown in and blown out with little regard to restoration work procedures, and the bottom line is the prime importance

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 09, 2018, 10:06:31 PM

For this poor dash it WAS the "last/longest yard", in my game book the vehicle is reduced to a bare shell before any body work, but I understand the shops mentality, it's a typical body shop, where vehicles are blown in and blown out with little regard to restoration work procedures, and the bottom line is the prime importance

For your information it was the owners decision to keep it un the car until the last minute.  As always there has to be the one person that always has something negative to say about anything.  It's a dash it was always protected and always blown off and now it's out and will receive the treatment that so many of you have claimed it should have had.  If we all had deep pockets we would all have our dream car and if we all knew how to build a car then wouldn't have to pay others to build a special car for us such as bodyman that have been in the trade for many years and work on many molars and other makes over the years.

It is a treat for me to be building a Daytona even if it is a clone but we don't all have deep pockets that can afford to own an original Daytona and furthermore there were very few built.

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: Makingdreamsreality on September 09, 2018, 10:17:12 PM

As always there has to be the one person that always has something negative to say about anything.  It's a dash it was always protected and always blown off and now it's out and will receive the treatment that so many of you have claimed it should have had.  If we all had deep pockets we would all have our dream car and if we all knew how to build a car then wouldn't have to pay others to build a special car for us such as bodyman that have been in the trade for many years and work on many molars and other makes over the years.

It is a treat for me to be building a Daytona even if it is a clone but we don't all have deep pockets that can afford to own an original Daytona and furthermore there were very few built.

I will also add that it was never intended to go through such a thorough build until knowing that this particular car needed so much attention and that being panel replacement due to rust as well as fabricating panels that just aren't available or I'd they are the wait for them is considerably long.  So in the end it was a joint decision between the owner and myself as of recent to pull the window and the dash and now that it's out( the dash that is) poor wiring can be repaired as to not have any electrical fires this destroying this vehicle.

kevs1969daytona

Engine bay was painted today.  Have new wiper motor, brake master cylinder is about to be delivered, got new washer reservoir, all the brake lines are also new.  The gas tank is also new.

kevs1969daytona

kevs1969daytona

Wow its been almost 12 months since I started this restoration, I have never restored a car before always got one already done.  Had no idea how long it would take, I remember thinking it would take 6 weeks when I first seen the car.  Oh well it's been a good trip so far.  Some updates, having dash restored/painted, have rear end in with emergency brakes and new brake lines. New gas tank, basically ever panel replaced.  Sean is now on the "2nd primer coat" and "blocking".  Start painting the trunk next week. Then the car.  

kevs1969daytona

Since my car is not real (clone) I was thinking of painting the wing intense orange. Not a big fan of White, Red is ok but love thoses high impact colors.

https://www.graphic-express.com/vinyl-colors-app-fluids/color-samples/standard-colors/color-sample-3m-intense-orange-134.html

Daytona Guy

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Makingdreamsreality on September 09, 2018, 10:26:00 PM

As always there has to be the one person that always has something negative to say about anything.  It's a dash it was always protected and always blown off and now it's out and will receive the treatment that so many of you have claimed it should have had.  If we all had deep pockets we would all have our dream car and if we all knew how to build a car then wouldn't have to pay others to build a special car for us such as bodyman that have been in the trade for many years and work on many molars and other makes over the years.

I will also add that it was never intended to go through such a thorough build until knowing that this particular car needed so much attention and that being panel replacement due to rust as well as fabricating panels that just aren't available or I'd they are the wait for them is considerably long.  So in the end it was a joint decision between the owner and myself as of recent to pull the window and the dash and now that it's out( the dash that is) poor wiring can be repaired as to not have any electrical fires this destroying this vehicle.

I know how you feel, been in your shoes. Some people think that if your not going to do a $200,000 100 point show car that will get 1st place at Mopar Nats or Carlisle then why do it at all. LEON.

kevs1969daytona

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 12, 2018, 08:13:23 PM
Quote from: Makingdreamsreality on September 09, 2018, 10:26:00 PM

I will also add that it was never intended to go through such a thorough build until knowing that this particular car needed so much attention and that being panel replacement due to rust as well as fabricating panels that just aren't available or I'd they are the wait for them is considerably long.  So in the end it was a joint decision between the owner and myself as of recent to pull the window and the dash and now that it's out( the dash that is) poor wiring can be repaired as to not have any electrical fires this destroying this vehicle.

I know how you feel, been in your shoes. Some people think that if your not going to do a $200,000 100 point show car that will get 1st place at Mopar Nats or Carlisle then why do it at all. LEON.

I have always driven my cars, never put them on a trailer.  This car will be driven in the summer on my days off.  I will take it to home depot, Canadian tire, to the cold beer store, and the grocery store, I will park it away from other cars so I won't get a parking lot ding, if it gets one thou, I won't lose my mind.  I have never put any of my cars into a car show, For me my cars are fun but at the end of the day it's a toy.

chubby53

Great project , looks really nice , build what you want , wait 'till they see my XX29 Daytona that'll pi55'em off  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

I say Drive it & have fun with it. A Trailer queen you can't drive for fear of a rock chip on painted undercarriage is no fun. LEON.

kevs1969daytona

Some more pics.  Trunk has been painted, dash has been painted, also body been wet sanded.  

kevs1969daytona

The stripe arrived today, I went with the original color which is "Tomato Red". Got it from Graphic express in Florida.

https://www.graphic-express.com/mopar/dodge/dodge-daytona/1969-dodge-charger-daytona-stripe-kit-daytona-name.html  

kevs1969daytona

Getting ready to be painted this weekend.

kevs1969daytona

First coat, needs 3 coats of clear and wet sanding still.