News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

kevs1969daytona

Thought I put a little restoration tip while doing my car.  Well the rear "Vega" hatch is in but the trim was very rusty and pitted with some dents, looked around you can't get rear chrome trim for a Vega, so I looked on line ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTxR8LB9iek ) and decided to give it a try, there was a place in Calgary wanted $3 an inch to polish it, so saved may $250 with shipping.  Kit was $35, was reluctant at first but wow it's so easy and looks like new, even fixed the dents myself. Going to polish all the trim I have not got replaced.

kevs1969daytona

Sorry for delay but heres some pics, merry Christmas every one. Sean is awesome anyone want a daytona i Canada call sean

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

DAY CLONA

Getting there... one note: you might want to add the hinge stops to your trunk hinges before you assemble everything, helps prevent possible trunk to wing contact (depending on the placement of your wing),and  finger pinching between the wing/trunk when opening/closing...

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on December 10, 2018, 10:08:09 PM
Cheers for info

I have pics from a real Daytona and there are no stops on the trunk hinges.  I tried to attach a picture but for some reason I cannot.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Makingdreamsreality on December 10, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
Quote from: kevs1969daytona on December 10, 2018, 10:08:09 PM
Cheers for info

I have pics from a real Daytona and there are no stops on the trunk hinges.  I tried to attach a picture but for some reason I cannot.

Every Charger 500 or Daytona I've looked at/worked on over the decades has them, they're way out of sight, unless you have the hinge off, or crawl into the trunk, here's a real Daytona for reference

Mike

hemigeno

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: hemigeno on December 11, 2018, 09:56:13 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 11, 2018, 01:47:40 AM
Every Charger 500 or Daytona I've looked at/worked on over the decades has them

:iagree:
I have looked at the pics I have and of others and I can admit when I am wrong and yes there is a stop on the trunk hinges.  At first glance it looked like a part of the inner structure and bracing for the hinges.  Looks like I will be adding these on even though I know my clearance from trunk lid to wing is as close to perfect as possible.  Thanks for the info.

BS27ROB

It looks like it might be to keep the hinge from contacting the trunk rain gutter.

kevs1969daytona

XS29L9B2

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

kevs1969daytona

Well Sean got the doors working with the 4 inch actuators. works great, kinda wished the actuator was a little quicker but still works great.  This took a lot of time there was not much on-line on this stuff.  Sean was happier than me.  Only advice would be the z brackets that Sean fabricator from fiberglass to metal need to be on these nose cones, in my opinion. without them being metal I am sure the fiberglass would fail sooner than later.

HYDROWORKS

12V DC 4 in. Stroke 270 lb Linear Actuator
SKU: 8507816

Feature(s)
Water resistant and sealed against dust for protection in harsh environments. End stop limit switches prevent overextension or retraction. Smooth and quiet operation.  
Application(s)
Perfect for raising and lowering lawn and garden tractor and ATV attachments, along with hoods, trunks, tonneau covers, tailgates, truck covers and more  
Weight & Package Dimensions
Weight (lbs) 1.9
Package (L x W x H) 9.3 x 3.6 x 2.2 in.
Attributes & Specifications
Stroke Length   4  in.
Gear Ratio   40:1  
Load Capacity   270  lb
Static Load Capacity   350  lb
Speed at No Load   .20  in./sec
Speed at Max. Load   .08  in./sec
Current Draw at Max. Load   4.6  A
Duty Cycle   25%  
Operating Temperature Range   -26 to 65°C (-14.8 to 149°F)  
Pinhole Dia.   1/4  in.
Retracted Length (pin to pin)   8.11  in.
End Stop Limit Switches   Yes  
Recommended Fuse Size   5  A
IP Rating   This actuator has an IP65 rating. This makes it totally protected against any dust ingression so it can be used in any type of dusty conditions. It is also protected from low pressure water spray so it can be used in the rain and wet environments.  

XS29L9B2

kevs1969daytona

XS29L9B2

kevs1969daytona

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on December 19, 2018, 04:11:25 AM
thank yes good idea. i will test with my 70 headlight motor.

I was thinking about a 1970 headlight motor as well.  But I read somewhere (forget were) that the 70 motor which was designed only to flip up the 2 relatively light weight plastic headlight doors using a thinner rod to connect both doors would not work.  It made sense to me that the Daytona headlights containing the buckets and headlights and hardware weight considerably more and simple would burn out and not strong enough for the job, further and maybe and more importantly the rod was too small and narrow for the weight and would twist.  Maybe it could be reinforced.   I could be wrong thou, hate to see you waste your time.  

Lighthorseman

I have heard that the 70 headlight motor operates electrically, rather than using vacuum, and that it snaps open and closed too aggressively to be effective for Daytona or Superbird headlight buckets.  Perhaps someone better in the know could wade in here...

XS29L9B2

Quote from: Lighthorseman on December 20, 2018, 07:34:17 AM
I have heard that the 70 headlight motor operates electrically, rather than using vacuum, and that it snaps open and closed too aggressively to be effective for Daytona or Superbird headlight buckets.  Perhaps someone better in the know could wade in here...

ok thank you

Makingdreamsreality

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on December 20, 2018, 09:02:53 AM
I have heard that the 70 headlight motor operates electrically, rather than using vacuum, and that it snaps open and closed too aggressively to be effective for Daytona or Superbird headlight buckets.  Perhaps someone better in the know could wade in here...
ok thank you

I have spent some more time trying to get more motion out of the actuators and with a little modification as in placement and length of the arm from the actuators full open and full closed has been achieved l.  As for the speed yes they are a little on the slow side but after watching numerous videos of other Daytons and Superbirds headlight doors opening and closing these are very very close to the speed of the original vacuum pods un which Dodge and Plymouth used.  I will have pics soon once I have both operational and in sync.

kevs1969daytona

Your absolutely right the 70 electrical motor did snap every time I opened and closed the lights, could hear a slight bang every time it opened and closed was much faster than any 69 headlight door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIxeXxuX80