News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

Fair enough but these are fiberglass I sanded them down, there is a process now that chromes plastic and fiberglass, only going to cost me $100 way better than $400 Usa which is 600 cdn, I will post pics, cross my fingers it works.

Fin Day

My fiberglass moldings came from Janak. They seemed just fine and also thought chroming them.
Then I found i could get repros also. don´t remember if they are from the same guy as those now on ebay.
Anyway the big difference is thickness of the parts.
Atleast the Janak ones are so thick that they would have looked awkward.
i am happy that i bite the bullit and bought the chromed steel ones.
Just my two cents....

Daytona Guy

The way they wrap things now, I would look into a stainless wrap.

Dane

kevs1969daytona

kevs1969daytona

So I asked for a flat deck and get this tow truck  :rotz:. Oh well it's only 10 miles to Clark Customs for the body work and its only -20 today here in Canada ouch that sucks Maybe 20 mins outside without proper clothing and your done.  The pic is Shawn CLARKE from Clarke Customs (https://www.facebook.com/anythingmuscle/)   He is replacing the rear quarters, trunk extensions, rear deck, placing a new rear plug, window, and chrome.  One of the torsion boxes is getting rusty so thats getting replaced, and paint (Black with a Red Stripe) will paint the drums Red and the 4 drum brakes.  Place the nose grill and signal lights, getting the headlights to work.  I spoke with Mr JANAK in Texas today from wingedwarriorsbodyparts, said it was cold there 60 degrees, ok what ever.  I will not be putting a Vega plug but getting an original looking one with the proper window.  He tells me that that will take him about 2 months to make and ship up to Canada.  Also just order parts charger emblem for the rear deck, hood pins, the rear deck chrome molding ouch thats was not cheap, the pentastar, all I need now I guess is a proper set o 69 buckets with head rest and a wood grain steering which are very elusive.  

70 sublime

Hope there was not any salt on the road  :brickwall:

Good luck with this next stage of your adventure  :2thumbs:

What are you going to use for a back window glass ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

moparstuart

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on November 21, 2017, 12:36:22 AM
So I asked for a flat deck and get this tow truck  :rotz:. Oh well it's only 10 miles to Clark Customs for the body work and its only -20 today here in Canada ouch that sucks Maybe 20 mins outside without proper clothing and your done.  The pic is Shawn CLARKE from Clarke Customs (https://www.facebook.com/anythingmuscle/)   He is replacing the rear quarters, trunk extensions, rear deck, placing a new rear plug, window, and chrome.  One of the torsion boxes is getting rusty so thats getting replaced, and paint (Black with a Red Stripe) will paint the drums Red and the 4 drum brakes.  Place the nose grill and signal lights, getting the headlights to work.  I spoke with Mr JANAK in Texas today from wingedwarriorsbodyparts, said it was cold there 60 degrees, ok what ever.  I will not be putting a Vega plug but getting an original looking one with the proper window.  He tells me that that will take him about 2 months to make and ship up to Canada.  Also just order parts charger emblem for the rear deck, hood pins, the rear deck chrome molding ouch thats was not cheap, the pentastar, all I need now I guess is a proper set o 69 buckets with head rest and a wood grain steering which are very elusive.  
should have used the vega hatch  janaks plexiglass window and trim look cheap to me  , just my  :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

kevs1969daytona

Yikes he told me they look original never seen one before can get a Vega hatch window and trim for $300.   :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

moparstuart

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on November 21, 2017, 10:24:12 AM
Yikes he told me they look original never seen one before can get a Vega hatch window and trim for $300.   :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
Ted will tell you anything to make a sale  , Alot of his parts are quality but you have to pick and choose from others experiences

70 sublime

kevs1969daytona

So Mr Janak said about the rear window "it's the same material the window of the B1 bomber is made of" sounded real good to me.  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on November 21, 2017, 04:19:04 PM
So Mr Janak said about the rear window "it's the same material the window of the B1 bomber is made of" sounded real good to me.  :2thumbs:
believe me there is a reason why most people go out of there way to stay away from the fiber glass plug and trim , plexiglass window .   I have seen many  .

Daytona R/T SE

The fiberglass plug is going to flex every time you open and close the trunk lid. This will cause cracks. Bracing the plug may help. I dicked around for a long time trying to brace mine, but eventually gave up on the fiberglass plug and made a steel one.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10669.0.html

Janak's fiberglass plug is on the left, The steel one I made is on the right.

kevs1969daytona

I guess everyone is dancing around the fact that a Vega plug is the best way to go ??????????????????????????

kevs1969daytona

Guys i am new at this so any input for the vega window vs Janek window would be awesome cheers

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on November 22, 2017, 12:11:29 AM
I guess everyone is dancing around the fact that a Vega plug is the best way to go ??????????????????????????

I don't dance.

The fiberglass plug is too flimsy, the lexan window sucks.

And...

To me, the vega hatch looks wrong.

kevs1969daytona

So whats the best way of doing this ????? Vega hatch looks wrong the Janek plug is filmsy any sugesstions ???

moparstuart

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on November 22, 2017, 07:20:16 AM
So whats the best way of doing this ????? Vega hatch looks wrong the Janek plug is filmsy any sugesstions ???
go with the vega plug you get metal plug ,glass and molding ,   it looks good and its the most cost effective , and the money you save there go buy the stainless A pillar molding   :icon_smile_big:

70 sublime

Use the Vega plug for the back window
It is very hard and really expensive to find a Daytona glass back window glass
Your car is always going to be a clone
Where are you going to stop with trying to build a close to original Daytona clone car ?

Are you going to get rid of the fiberglass nose cone you have now and get a metal nose cone ??

Just finish off what you have and learn from it
Keep an eye out to see if anyone starts making a complete conversion kit in metal and a glass back window and use that on your next project  :2thumbs:
There can always be the next project

kevs1969daytona

Thanks guys just purchased the vega plug, was $250 plus $80 for shipping.  Much cheaper

djcarguy

REad thru ---Daytona clones from around the world post pix----BY Daytona Guy--hes made 10 or 11 clones now.  thread that i bumped up near the top.

many pages an pixs an info ?  good info on parts an build info,an lots of pixs..latter DJ   :2thumbs:

kevs1969daytona

So got my wife to put chrome wrap over the Fiberglas  a pillar ascents.  Better than $800 usa for them. Janek it was his idea use chrome wrap worked awesome $18 from amazon

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on November 29, 2017, 08:02:37 PM
So got my wife to put chrome wrap over the Fiberglas  a pillar ascents.  Better than $800 usa for them. Janek it was his idea use 3m chrome wrap worked awesome $18 from amazon

That looks pretty good. :scope: :2thumbs:

I might have to try that.  :scratchchin:

Got a link to the product you used?