News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chubby53

The car is Awesome , credit to you and must be fantastic to see going down the

kevs1969daytona

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 26, 2019, 02:15:21 AM
Very nice.....but that stripe positioning would bug the hell out of me!! Guess that just the detail freak in me and why I could never do a factory style resto! Looks great though....one of my favorite colour combos.

I think the strip is in the right location, the wing needs to be painted, having a local body shop do it next few weeks, unless I am missing something ?

daytonalo

Toss hair dryer in tub , problem solved ........ Then collect life insurance and bang hookers  :icon_smile_big:

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

alfaitalia

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on April 26, 2019, 12:41:36 PM
Quote from: alfaitalia on April 26, 2019, 02:15:21 AM
Very nice.....but that stripe positioning would bug the hell out of me!! Guess that just the detail freak in me and why I could never do a factory style resto! Looks great though....one of my favorite colour combos.

I think the strip is in the right location, the wing needs to be painted, having a local body shop do it next few weeks, unless I am missing something ?

Im sure you are correct...my wing car knowledge is limited..but on most I've seen (admittedly on line..only ever seen one in real life!) the wing is in the centre of the stripe ..yours looks to be rearward of central......
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

kevs1969daytona

Close enough for the girls I go out with,

DAY CLONA

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 26, 2019, 05:05:53 PM

Im sure you are correct...my wing car knowledge is limited..but on most I've seen (admittedly on line..only ever seen one in real life!) the wing is in the centre of the stripe ..yours looks to be rearward of central......

The OP's recent "re-"placement of the stripe and wing is well within "specs" for a wingcar, these cars exhibited some rather random slipshod assembly and finish when new, no two cars are alike in this matter.... we've all been inundated with OCD restorations in the last few decades to remember what's truly acceptable on these cars....

just like this trunk lid below with the random spot welds on the closeout panel... most would deem this unacceptable on a "restored" car, but this is how C500/Daytonas rolled out of Creative Ind.

Mike  

kevs1969daytona

So I get the car home from park muffler and the passenger side exhaust tip sticks out an extra 1 inch or so.  They will fix of course.  They checked the front end passenger side lower ball joint was not so good shape, so they replaced.  and the sway bar is bent.  So I ordered this from P-S-T new sway bar, hope it tightens everything up.  It was not too bad $209 USA.

Aero426

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on April 30, 2019, 01:48:25 PM
So I get the car home from park muffler and the passenger side exhaust tip sticks out an extra 1 inch or so.  They will fix of course.  

The shop can take the time to post the car on social media, but not the time to make sure the job was done right the first time.  

held1823

it is done right.  the too-long right side pipe will create wake turbulence to help push the car left, which is what these things were built for
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

kevs1969daytona

Quote from: Aero426 on May 01, 2019, 09:15:26 AM
Quote from: kevs1969daytona on April 30, 2019, 01:48:25 PM
So I get the car home from park muffler and the passenger side exhaust tip sticks out an extra 1 inch or so.  They will fix of course.  

The shop can take the time to post the car on social media, but not the time to make sure the job was done right the first time.  

Yep Sherwood Park muffler has been around for 35 years plus, I used to go to the shop in high school, I had a 70 R/T Charger with a 6 pack and an old buddy of mine Norm COWARD (deceased) had a Dodge "swinger" use to go there and get are muffler removed and put in straight pipe, we come back a week later after our parents would freak out, and put the mufflers back. He had 1 bay then, now about 15 or so.   He charged us maybe $20 back in the day.  He's still there actually came over and told me how difficult the exhaust was on this car.  I showed him the muffler tips and he said, sorry come back and we will make it right.  Only place I know in Edmonton that will take a catalytic converter off and weld in straight pipe in, everyone else wants you to replace the converter.

alfaitalia

That might be because the other places care that is illegal...who knows!? Lol.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Stevetona

There's many places that do that kind of stuff up here. Half the diesel trucks and VW cars have that DPF and cat stuff removed. Trust me.    :coolgleamA:

kevs1969daytona

Off topic but, had a 2006 GMC sierra 1/2 ton 5.3 litre, one day I think I spun a bearing, it was actually the cat smashed up inside. kicked it and hear the rattle. anyways got it cut off, replaced with a straight pipe, and not word of a lie I swear my gas mileage increased by 40% and better performance as well.

kevs1969daytona

So my new engine, I put a quick fuel 850 on it, was not cheap.  Anyways it runs super rich, so I went on line and theres a quick fuel video, kinda good, on how to adjust the float bowls, anyways I would not start today, after 8 hours, it final came to life, my eyes are still stinging and black smoke when I rev ?  Maybe it's too big for my application.

kevs1969daytona

So no one is going to believe this, but my engine blow up.  Yes after 30 miles on the new engine the oil pump failed, I was driving down my range road with my son, driving normally, come to an intersection, my son says whats all that blue smoke from, I turn right, look at my temp gauge 160 degrees (that's ok) the notice zero oil pressure. WTF !!!!! I turn off the ignition, engine still running with loud ticking noises.    I pull off the back of the oil pressure gauge and no oil when turning over.  Was $11000 Cdn for the new engine.  They used a melling think it's a M-63.  I have had lots of cars over the years but never had an oil pump go on me.  Called Pro Stock the company that built the motor it's covered and they will fix / replace.

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

Yep, Pro Stock will fix / replace thank god, not even an argument from them, but WTF could cause a oil pump to fail.  :shruggy:

BLK 68 R/T

kevs1969daytona

Yikes not to sure, I drove maybe 30 secs without oil pressure, maybe the engine is toast, had penziol 10-30 zinc in it. who knows, I want the shop to go through the entire engine.  The engine will start / run but no oil pressure, I assume a broken distributor shaft the engine will not run ????

BLK 68 R/T

It will run long as long as the distributor gear is still turning.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

chargervert

Man,that sucks after all that money,and work you did putting it together!

70 sublime

Did you pull the dipstick to see if there was still oil in the motor ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona