News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POSTING PICS AND UPDATES THE RESTORATION AS IT UNFOLDS ON MY 69 DAYTONA CLONE

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 02, 2017, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

Got this off of ebay was $30, old school dodge dealership emblem, looked them up they are out of business, thinking of putting on the trunk lip, hell of a conversation piece especially here in Canada at any car show

200MPH

Charger

triple_green

I love this build! Is the car staying black? I know I will be shouted down for this, but doing the wing and stripe in chrome would be awesome!

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Lighthorseman

Quote from: triple_green on December 16, 2017, 12:29:59 PM
...I know I will be shouted down for this, but doing the wing and stripe in chrome would be awesome!

Yes, it would.  No shouting you down from here.   :2thumbs:

kevs1969daytona

So after several months a searching most of the USA and Canada for a good set of buckets I found these 25 miles from my place the guy has 69 R/T Charger that he is converting into a Restro Mod.  They are Mint condition got them for $1200 Cdn or about $900 usa. Now they are home in my garage.  

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

kevs1969daytona

So I went by the Body Shop Clarke Customs here in Edmonton (-42 with wind chill tonight)  :icon_smile_angry:, anyway heres what happened.  I am still waiting for the crate with all the parts from National Moparts in Barrie, Ontario should be here next Wednesday give or take.  Anyway Sean (Body guy) was working on the Vega window not much rust says he separating the "skin" the rear window looks great, need to re-chrome the molding thou.

kevs1969daytona

Then I went to see the car in the "barn" with all the other cars and saw that the rear window was full of Bondo.

kevs1969daytona

Heres a pic of how thick the Bondo was Sean kept a chunk said he has never seen it so thick.

kevs1969daytona

Well I also got a set of Daytona Floor mats for Christmas fits perfect, going to paint the wing Red remember.

kevs1969daytona

So final after 1 month plus waiting for my parts to arrive from Ontario to my acreage here in Sherwood Park.  Anyways I get a call from the driver sitting in the truck, (ya that one there, wife took pic) say's "do you have a forklift" well Sh** doesn't everyone in Sherwood Park have a "forklift" almost as common as a toilet or running water. WTF, do I live on an acreage or the owner of a Costco.   I tell him I don't have a "forklift" i'm at work till 10 pm, but my wife came home early to open the garage door for you guy's or in this case "guy".  Say's my wife looks too small to help him unload the 480 lbs crate from the back of his truck.  So I say, you came excepting me to have a "forklift" and a bunch of guy's to be waiting for the my delivery should have asked maybe ?  Anyways without losing my cool too much he turned around went back to Edmonton and will return Monday with the correct equipment and manpower.  Another road bump in the history of this car I guess.  

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on January 05, 2018, 06:36:56 PM
Anyways without losing my cool too much he turned around went back to Edmonton and will return Monday with the correct equipment and manpower.  Another road bump in the history of this car I guess.  

Why can''t the guy unload the crate piece by piece?  Seems turning around to get a forklift and more help would be more time consuming.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

kevs1969daytona

Don't know probably too much work for the guy I guess.  really pissed me off thou

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on January 05, 2018, 07:20:31 PM
Anyways without losing my cool too much he turned around went back to Edmonton and will return Monday with the correct equipment and manpower.  Another road bump in the history of this car I guess.  

Why can''t the guy unload the crate piece by piece?  Seems turning around to get a forklift and more help would be more time consuming.

I've unloaded large crates/pallets, even parts/project cars from the insides of a tractor trailer, just call the local tow company that has a tilt truck/rollback/flatbed/etc (whatever you call it in your neck of the woods) most tilt trucks line up with trailers bed, plus some tilts can alter their horizontal bed height, just hook the object, winch it out to the edge of the tilt truck, the tractor trailer driver away, just have the tilt truck ramp it to where you want it, and slide it off, I've even used round wooden fence post or steel fence poles to "roll" large pallets/boxes/frames/etc off the base of the tilt trucks tilted bed and roll them down the driveway into the garage, one man operation...just use your head  :icon_smile_big:

Usually most rollback/tiltbed service is $50-$100, plus there's no mileage charge, as the guy is picking it out of the trailer, and ramping it off at your home or business, unless you want it transported to another location, 480 lb crate is "child's play" If you think it out before hand, and can manage to roll the pallet/box/frame on some wooden/steel poles/pipe while pulling it out of the trailer onto the rollback, it just slides off with no effort being winched down the tilted ramp of the truck to the spot you need it at...

Try and find a local tilt-truck/tow company that's "around the corner" so that when the trailer shows up, the ramp truck is down the road a call away, usually you have to hold the driver's hand and walk him thru what you want done

here's a pic if your not following me?

Stevearino

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 05, 2018, 07:49:06 PM
Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on January 05, 2018, 07:20:31 PM
Anyways without losing my cool too much he turned around went back to Edmonton and will return Monday with the correct equipment and manpower.  Another road bump in the history of this car I guess. 

Why can''t the guy unload the crate piece by piece?  Seems turning around to get a forklift and more help would be more time consuming.

I've unloaded large crates/pallets, even parts/project cars from the insides of a tractor trailer, just call the local tow company that has a tilt truck/rollback/flatbed/etc (whatever you call it in your neck of the woods) most tilt trucks line up with trailers bed, plus some tilts can alter their horizontal bed height, just hook the object, winch it out to the edge of the tilt truck, the tractor trailer driver away, just have the tilt truck ramp it to where you want it, and slide it off, I've even used round wooden fence post or steel fence poles to "roll" large pallets/boxes/frames/etc off the base of the tilt trucks tilted bed and roll them down the driveway into the garage, one man operation...just use your head  :icon_smile_big:

Usually most rollback/tiltbed service is $50-$100, plus there's no mileage charge, as the guy is picking it out of the trailer, and ramping it off at your home or business, unless you want it transported to another location, 480 lb crate is "child's play" If you think it out before hand, and can manage to roll the pallet/box/frame on some wooden/steel poles/pipe while pulling it out of the trailer onto the rollback, it just slides off with no effort being winched down the tilted ramp of the truck to the spot you need it at...

Try and find a local tilt-truck/tow company that's "around the corner" so that when the trailer shows up, the ramp truck is down the road a call away, usually you have to hold the driver's hand and walk him thru what you want done

here's a pic if your not following me?

Now that is pretty dang clever right there. :cheers:

kevs1969daytona

No they said they have to drop it off as a part of the contract, so they will be back Monday, If its on the ground I will pull the pallet with my tractor into the garage.   I was just surprise they thought a residential home would have a forklift for them and a bunch of guys waiting to unload.

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

Quarters, trunk floor, trunk extensions, rear valance, valance corners, tons of new chrome, hood pins, battery tray tie down, probably forgot some stuff.  From Nationalmoparts in Beaverton, Ont.  will take a pic Monday when it comes. "cross my fingers"

70 sublime

From Nigel  :yesnod:

Just a bunch of sheet metal should not have been too hard to unload
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

So I call the shipping company Quik X, Edmonton, now they say because it's the second delivery and need more guy's they are going to charge me more, holding my parts as ransom. WTF, I yell at the girl on the phone, she hangs up, so I drive 45 mins and pick the stuff up myself.  

kevs1969daytona

Anyway the parts are at home, spoke with my body guy, he says for another $1500 he will paint the car F8 Green will pull engine a transmission to get it done correctly, he was just going to "touch up" the engine if kept Black.  Always loved F8 Green, Black is hard to keep clean, had a Buick Grand National years back terrible to keep looking good, any thoughts ????

alfaitalia

Just one..."DON'T DO IT" .You are going to spray your black Charger green? Really?  Have you considered professional  help!? Just kidding , it's your car..if you can find the readies and its what you want...go for it!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

DAY CLONA

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on January 08, 2018, 02:52:36 PM
any thoughts ????

IMHO a black Daytona is hard to beat, esp with a white interior and red wing in the looks dept, or even a white wing, or black interior but it's your car...If you go Fugly8 just be sure to add the dog dish hupcaps for the full effect  :slap:

kevs1969daytona

Ya just throwing out there my wife said no way as well, will be Black with Red Stripe.  Still love that F8 green thou.  Will also paint the drums Red and the Chin spoiler Red.