News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Two Superbirds from Ocala, Fl owned by Marvin Hughes

Started by farm966, September 05, 2017, 08:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farm966

Curious if anyone knows where two 'birds ended up that were owned by Marvin Hughes in Ocala, Fl. When I was a kid in the early 70's seeing those birds drive by my house as I was playing in the front yard stuck with me. I knew I wanted one, I have a bird clone now, working on a 'tona clone as well. I believe one of them I belive was tor-red, maybe the other was white. Mr Hughes was a smart Mopar man, he had crate hemi's stashed away that he sold years later along with the birds when the prices were right. I know I dont have much to go on, but I thought I would ask. There was also a green bird that a security guard drove at the local Kmart, not sure what happned to that one either.

Thanks.

taxspeaker

There is a chance my white one was his. Mine came out of florida,bought by previous owner somewhere between 1990-2002 out of central florida. Details are lost, but did your neighbor own a motorcycle shop? Prior owner doesnt remember well, but thinks the guy had something to do with cycles.

farm966

There is a buisness right next door to Mr Hughes' residence, it is now a small used car lot with a brick building that has been there for years. I will ask some friends if that was ever a motorcycle shop or if Mr Hughes was ever into motorcycles. If so, the pieces fit. Thanks!

farm966

Taxspeaker, I appreciate the reply, but I dont think the gentleman who lived down the road was into motorcycles. From what I have gathered from friends and family, he was always a car guy. Yours could be one of the cars, but I wasnt smart enough back then to go take some pictures, I just remember him driving by occasionally and that memory stuck.

Thanks!

gtx6970

Friend of mine  owns a Petty Blue Bird formally belonged to Marvin. 

Originally orange ( not sure what code ) black interior. 440 six barrel 4 spd.

When Jim bought it ,,,,it was Petty Blue , no vinyl top. 426 Hemi , 4 spd and 2.94 gears. ( he still owns it )

Im not 100% certain but I think he also bought a second one from him. sometime later on.
Vitamin C orange, 440 six barrel, auto with dealer installed AC

A good friend here locally bought it from Jim maybe 30 years ago or more ( he still owns it , although its not seen the light of day in over 20 years )  Per the build log sheet form Creative  its I think the 6th one completed and I think the 3rd one shipped.
We've talked to dozens of people over the years .  That  one and is believed to be the very car that was on the cover of the Popular Mechanics back in the day . Hes 99% sure it was a pool / magazine writers test  car from New Jersey / New York back in 1970

gtx6970

taxspeaker

Bill it looks like your buddy has a large parts inventory too! Not many people, including the owner or his kids, get to enjoy the car while it is sitting in the garage for 20 years. If he is as close to me as I think he is I would be willing to drive up a couple of weekends to help get it running again. Heck, I'll even drive up in a Daytona!

Bob

farm966

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 11, 2017, 04:09:21 PM
Friend of mine  owns a Petty Blue Bird formally belonged to Marvin. 

Originally orange ( not sure what code ) black interior. 440 six barrel 4 spd.

When Jim bought it ,,,,it was Petty Blue , no vinyl top. 426 Hemi , 4 spd and 2.94 gears. ( he still owns it )

Im not 100% certain but I think he also bought a second one from him. sometime later on.
Vitamin C orange, 440 six barrel, auto with dealer installed AC

A good friend here locally bought it from Jim maybe 30 years ago or more ( he still owns it , although its not seen the light of day in over 20 years )  Per the build log sheet form Creative  its I think the 6th one completed and I think the 3rd one shipped.
We've talked to dozens of people over the years .  That  one and is believed to be the very car that was on the cover of the Popular Mechanics back in the day . Hes 99% sure it was a pool / magazine writers test  car from New Jersey / New York back in 1970

Bill, thanks so much for replying. I was born in 1970 and Marvin's house is just a couple miles straight down the road from my moms house in Ocala. Is is amazing how a memory as a child playing in the front yard when a muscle car roars by with a huge wing sticks with you the rest of your life. Great to learn a little more about those cars.

gtx6970

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 11, 2017, 06:51:10 PM
Bill it looks like your buddy has a large parts inventory too! Not many people, including the owner or his kids, get to enjoy the car while it is sitting in the garage for 20 years. If he is as close to me as I think he is I would be willing to drive up a couple of weekends to help get it running again. Heck, I'll even drive up in a Daytona!

Bob

Ive made that offer multiple times. No bites yet. He has several cars that takes his time. Both 67 and 68 Coronet RT convertibles, 55 Chrysler 300 , 66 Plymouth Satellite , 79 Chrysler 300 ( also stuffed away for some time now ) Plus he sells NOS Mopar parts. That takes up the rest of his time.

held1823

68 Coronet RT convertible

must. see. photos.

on almost equal footing to a wing car, this is my all time favorite (and sentimental) model
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053