News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Refering to Challenger 340's 'Street 451' build on this page....

Started by LowDeck451, September 05, 2017, 04:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowDeck451

Just wondering, since this engine peaked at only(?) 5500 rpm, would a hydraulic cam with similar specs, (taking into account lash, lift, dur. etc.) perform about the same? Fantastic numbers on this build IMO. Can't get it out of my head, a year later! Opinions welcome. Thanks.

Challenger340

Quote from: LowDeck451 on September 05, 2017, 04:31:00 PM
Just wondering, since this engine peaked at only(?) 5500 rpm, would a hydraulic cam with similar specs, (taking into account lash, lift, dur. etc.) perform about the same? Fantastic numbers on this build IMO. Can't get it out of my head, a year later! Opinions welcome. Thanks.

IMO,
too many Customers look a Cam's "advertised" rpm range and think that's where it's good to go to ?  It may say "3500 to 6500" rpm..... but that does NOT guarantee where the peak events will occur, just that V/Train stability should be good to that rpm with the proper components ? which by the time you get there(6500 rpm) you may be already be well past "peak" power, and on the down side of the power curve for the Cam as installed in those Engine components ?(Heads/Intake, etc)

My point being..... NEVER look at a Cam's posted operating rpm range and think the top number is where to SHIFT it at !
You are probably wasting your time going SLOWER ! and well past PEAK power !

Pretty much anything is possible, but there are so many variables involved ? Port Volumes/Velocity in the Heads/Intake, Tuning, Seat Angles, where the Cam is installed, and on and on, and of course the "mushy" Hydraulic Lifter ?
IMO, "Hydraulic" used in the same sentence with "Performance" being an oxymoron if there ever was one !

This one is a XE284H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam in a 440 build, not far off the XS282S Cam for duration @ .050
545hp @ 5500 rpm and 562 Ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106687.50.html

And of course here are 2 different 451 Engines we did.... both using the same XS282S Cam

1.) The more recent Street 451 using Ported Stealth's at 585hp and 588 Trq
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,123378.0.html
and
2.) a similar 451 we did waaay back in 2009 using Ported Performer rpm Heads at 575hp / 583 Trq
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,66224.0.html
Only wimps wear Bowties !

LowDeck451

Understood. I was referring to the 585 hp 451, and assumed at the relatively low 5500 rpm, that a hydraulic lifter could keep pace with the solid. Interesting. Thanks for your time and response!

BSB67

The solid will make more peak power, the power will hang on longer (i.e. considerably more area under the power curve and the car will be noticeably faster), and will have better driving and idle characteristics.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph