News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaf spring clamps

Started by Canadian1968, September 06, 2017, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

So I am trying to get my car to hook up a bit better . The car just cooks the tires right now. Reading about clamping the front of the leaf springs and leavING the rear unclamped . I had the springs cleaned up and checked when I did the rear frame rails. They put on some oem clamps that are just the rubber with thin gauge steel wrapped around them . These will just stretch under hard accel ? The idea is to add stiffer clamps to prevent spring wrap?

HPP

You want to make the spring pack work harder at planting the tires. To do this, you want to firm up the front section to make it more solid and unclamp rear portions to allow it to open up more. This will leverage the axle housing against the weight of the body and drive the tire into the pavement harder. If you are using BFG or Coopers, its unlikely this will help much at all with tire spin, but with a softer compound tire or a prepared track, it can increase grip.

The stock rear clamps will not stretch any to accomplish this. You can start removing the ones closest to the shackle and working your way in to help with separation. Adding to the front segment can be done in the same way. By reducing the flex in the front it reduces the tendency to flex and create more of a breaker bar effect in the middle of the vehicle.

c00nhunterjoe

You need 3 friends who weigh 250 or better to sit on the trunklid before clamping the sections.

Canadian1968

well geez I am running bfg g-force tires  :brickwall:
I have custom frame ties that are similar to the US tool weld in one's.  They follow the contour of the floor .

why so much weight when clamping ? They are pretty damn tight together from what I can see ?  Clamping the front to hopefully stop it from wrapping up correct ? why couldn't u actually weld them together ? now that I think of it ?

c00nhunterjoe

These will help with traction more then clamping the springs compared to what you are running now.

Canadian1968

Ghoste

I tend to agree.  The spring clamps are much cheaper than soft compound tires but the difference they will make with a hard street tire may not come out to be a great lot.