News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Value on a rare 66 coronet?

Started by F8-4life, September 08, 2017, 01:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F8-4life

Looking for opinions on the value of an oddball coronet I'm looking to possibly purchase.

It's a 1966 Coronet 440 2 dr hardtop. Factory 361 2 brl carb, 4 speed with a sure grip axle.
One of about 150 made I'm told. Has fender tag but no sheet.
White exterior, black bench seat interior.. Original paint with some touch up in the quarters..
Solid & straight original KY car, except some rust in the lower 1/4 panels.
Front seat has been recovered, otherwise the interior is nice and all original.
Decklid has been replaced, otherwise all body parts are original.
Numbers on engine accesories all match, sounds like an honest all original car.
Was running & driving fine and put into indoor storage about 5 yrs ago.
Sorry no pictures available.

Thanks

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ghoste

Always hard to judge without photos but I'd say 5 or so.

F8-4life

He is wanting 8k, which sounded reasonable to me.

Dave Kanofsky

I would put it at a little higher being a big block 4 speed, maybe 9k or so?
These cars have a lot of trim that is unique to that year and model.  If that's important to you and if it is in good condition, there's value there.

We restored a '66 Coronet 440 2 dr hardtop about 3 years ago.  
Bought it locally, but was an Arizona car just before that with no rust but some bumps and bruises, a 360 hp, 360 ci Chrysler crate engine in it, and some interior work needed.
Here's what it looks like now:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

cdr

just asking, so how much is one worth restored ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

F8-4life

I thought this was a mopar site, 138 views and 5 real responses.

Nacho-RT74

maybe the other 133 didn't know how much could worth, even less without pics ;)
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

there is a thread ( Charger related on a Charger site LOL ) with allmost 300 views and just 2 replies... so you are better ;) LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70 sublime

I had a 67 Coronet 500 for a while
I am up here in Canada but the car had come up from Las Vegas
A split inside 318 (from no anti freeze in it ) motor when I got it
No rot and maybe one door ding
Car was totally baked paint half worn off down to the metal and interior turned to dust
Put a 1973 360 in it and drove it as it was for a short time
Some guy came along and saw it in my driveway with out a for sale sign on it and thought he had to have it
I got $5000 for it and let it go  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Troy

I think the lack of responses is mostly because it's not a "popular" Mopar so not many are following prices. Throw in the "rare" factor and any typical pricing probably doesn't apply. I personally like the cars but shy away from projects (that I can afford) because finding parts isn't easy and finished cars just don't bring a lot of money. Several years ago (so things are likely different now), I was looking for one to work on with my dad and I was finding really nice finished cars for $8-15k. There's no point in starting a $4-5k project (for example) when I'd be upside down almost immediately. Unless I really, really loved the car. Even though that car may be rare, I don't think it's really desirable - other than the 4-speed. I bet a large majority of buyers would toss the engine for a 440 almost immediately. I don't know that the numbers matching stuff would really affect value all that much. I hate to say that because I've owned some rare, matching cars in the past that weren't popular with most mainstream buyers and it was painful. I don't know if that car qualifies as a "survivor" but that's the only way I really see the number making a difference (to most people).

Would I give $8k for it? Not without a ton of pictures and proof that it runs well. Again, I'm not dying to have one so I'm more inclined to make a buying decision based on price/value.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

Quote from: F8-4life on September 09, 2017, 05:30:31 PM

so where are the pictures? Or are we just supposed to use our imagination on the condition of the car?

crj1968

I have a methodology for trying to put a price on such cars.  Rare doesn't mean desirable (Pacers are rare)  although I do like the 66/67 B-bodies....

First thing is punch into ebay and see "completed items" for similar cars- That would show you what has sold and what hasn't and for how much.
And being it's ebay anything that sold, I would consider that sale top dollar, since it's been marketed to the world.

Or break it down...

Whats a solid 66 coronet roller body worth?  3-5 k   (i'd say 5k (to a person who likes the body style) in this case because of the 4 speed and sure grip, and decent interior)

What the engine worth?  $0

What's it worth if you can drive it away? I'd say another $500 because you know the electrical isn't a total mess. That's worth something to me....

$5500 final answer.   

70 sublime

I was not sad when I sold mine
Just like Troy said my heart was not really into it
Only reason I bought it in the first place was because it was a Mopar and had the best metal I had ever seen on a car that age

If it had been a 68 Charger in the same shape it would have been a $20 000 car and not a $5000 car
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

69CoronetRT

Quote from: F8-4life on September 09, 2017, 05:30:31 PM

Not the most desirable year.
Not the most desirable drivetrain combo.
Few comparable sales from which to derive a price.
More than a 318; less than a 383 car.
Total condition is a factor. We don't have all the details.

I don't think 8 is a bad place to start CONTINGENT on the total package, not just the drive train.

Oddity. Not many made. Will stir moderate interest among others.
Big block four speed, yet, if you change the engine you've removed the novelty factor. Ho hum.....

If you want a novelty, this is a good one.
If you want it to modify it, find another car and leave this one for someone that will keep it stock. It's an interesting example of cars that were made but not in large numbers.

:Twocents:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

F8-4life

I just dig it because it's an oddball rare 4 speed 2dr mopar that is still fairly affordable.
I'll try to get pictures, it sounds very original and in better then average shape for an unrestored  car, for me, as I'm in the rust belt of ohio...
'66 was the last year on the 361, it should have a good 383 type sound to it along with being a great driver with the 2brl carb.
Original paint pretty cool for me, just shows its an honest car.
I would keep it all stock if I bought it, maybe just ad some aluminum slots.
He seems firm at 8k, so I figure I'd be doing good if I could get it for 7500 or so.
Floors & trunk are good.

crj1968

Well, hey man if it's running a driving and you want to leave it as is, sounds like you've found a decent car.  :2thumbs: