News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 68 Build

Started by Project68, September 08, 2017, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project68

Well, for those who read my New Guy in San Antonio thread, you have the background info on how I acquired this car.  Well, work started on the car about a month ago.  Stripped down to metal, and sheet metal repairs are being done using AMD sheet metal.  I ordered Legendary interior for the inside and a whole lot of other parts during the Labor Day weekend specials from CPP, Year One and Classic Industries.  The M&H electrical harnesses came in today...every wire I need from bumper to bumper.  Front disc brake conversion kit from CPP is on its way as well.  After the car comes back from the paint shop, it will be ready to install all the wiring, interior, glass, rubber seals/gaskets, weather stripping,  body plugs...if it was rubber or electrical it will be replaced.  Hard parts will be re-used as appropriate.  Even with the discounts, I still spent a few $K.

I was impressed with the condition of the body.  The only big problem spots are around the back window and trunk pan where rust ate through the metal...... AMD sheet metal will take care of that.  The floor pans were solid with only surface rust to clean up.  I am going to remove the entire dash and go through it as well.

Engine and rear end will be rebuilt by Paul Gaspard of the San Antonio Mopar Muscle Club...great guy with tons of knowledge.  Paul provided me with name of a transmission rebuild guy....spoke with him and he is willing to take on the tranny rebuild.

Vision is to have it painted original white color with black bumble bee stripes and a black hood with scoop (original hood will be painted white with the car and stored) and original black/gray pleated interior.  Engine and transmission will be beefed up a bit.

So, everything is rolling along as planned...hope to have the car on the road sooner than later.  Progress pics will be posted soon.

John

TPR

Looking forward to seeing the progress.
:2thumbs: :popcrn:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

darbgnik

Everyone likes pictures around here!
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Project68

Quote from: Project68 on September 08, 2017, 03:13:45 PM
Well, for those who read my New Guy in San Antonio thread, you have the background info on how I acquired this car.  Well, work started on the car about a month ago.  Stripped down to metal, and sheet metal repairs are being done using AMD sheet metal.  I ordered Legendary interior for the inside and a whole lot of other parts during the Labor Day weekend specials from CPP, Year One and Classic Industries.  The M&H electrical harnesses came in today...every wire I need from bumper to bumper.  Front disc brake conversion kit from CPP is on its way as well.  After the car comes back from the paint shop, it will be ready to install all the wiring, interior, glass, rubber seals/gaskets, weather stripping,  body plugs...if it was rubber or electrical it will be replaced.  Hard parts will be re-used as appropriate.  Even with the discounts, I still spent a few $K.

I was impressed with the condition of the body.  The only big problem spots are around the back window and trunk pan where rust ate through the metal...... AMD sheet metal will take care of that.  The floor pans were solid with only surface rust to clean up.  I am going to remove the entire dash and go through it as well.

Engine and rear end will be rebuilt by Paul Gaspard of the San Antonio Mopar Muscle Club...great guy with tons of knowledge.  Paul provided me with name of a transmission rebuild guy....spoke with him and he is willing to take on the tranny rebuild.

I have tried multiple times to upload pictures but i keep getting this: An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again.

but all the pics are named different.  Not sure what the issue is but I will try to figure it out

and i get this message also: You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh.

Vision is to have it painted original white color with black bumble bee stripes and a black hood with scoop (original hood will be painted white with the car and stored) and original black/gray pleated interior.  Engine and transmission will be beefed up a bit.

So, everything is rolling along as planned...hope to have the car on the road sooner than later.  Progress pics will be posted soon.

John

crj1968

Looking forward to seeing it as well.

As for pics; rename them something goofy and load them up in a new response. Trying to edit a thread doesn't work well on this forum.

Project68

Stripping the car

Project68

Stripped and used POR 15 on the floor

Project68

Took out the center console. I have a new center console, trim, lights, carpet, and wiring harness etc. Anyone have any tips on cleaning up the console plate and door? Not looking to buy new ones if possible.

Thanks

John

Project68

Pulled the entire dash out of the car to rebuild it. Lots of work to do. i have never restored a dash, so any input is welcome. Looks like I might have to replace all the pads, some have cracks or seem warped. I am sending the gauge cluster, radio and A/C controls out to get restored/upgraded with newer electronic technology. Also swapping clock with a tich-tach clock. I am sure there must be a way to restore the plastic on the dash, unless its cheaper just to buy new reproduction stuff.

timmycharger

Quote from: Project68 on November 29, 2017, 03:34:50 PM
Took out the center console. I have a new center console, trim, lights, carpet, and wiring harness etc. Anyone have any tips on cleaning up the console plate and door? Not looking to buy new ones if possible.

Thanks

John

Good luck on your project, looks like a pretty solid car to start with!  regarding the console plate and door, if they are not pitted you may be able to bring them back.  I had luck in the past with using steel wool carefully on the ribs and raised side edges, not pushing too hard.  for the other areas on the sides, I re painted with argent silver.   I would try to re use old parts as much as possible, I have reproduction plates/door on my car and after returning a set I am still not happy with how they look. Very wavy.

good luck!

Edit: just saw the posting on the dash bezels.  I have repros for that too. They look nice but are very delicate. You look at them wrong and the paint chips off.  You can restore your originals, I have seen folks re paint the chrome parts with silver paint or other methods but it wont look perfect in my opinion.

darbgnik

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

VegasCharger

Quote from: darbgnik on November 30, 2017, 09:15:42 PM
Anyone try this stuff for the chrome trim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0iNcApC8s

Amazing stuff after watching the video!!!

Here's the catch $199.99 for a 4 oz. can of brush on paint.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Other prices:

Pint Kit: $699.00
Quart Kit: $999.00
Gallon Kit: $2999.00

Unless you're going to do a chroming business, at these prices you'd be better off buying the repo plastic bezels.

alfaitalia

Pretty amazing.....be interested to know how tough it is compared to the real thing.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Project68

Quote from: VegasCharger on December 01, 2017, 04:29:27 AM
Quote from: darbgnik on November 30, 2017, 09:15:42 PM
Anyone try this stuff for the chrome trim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0iNcApC8s

Amazing stuff after watching the video!!!

Here's the catch $199.99 for a 4 oz. can of brush on paint.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Other prices:

Pint Kit: $699.00
Quart Kit: $999.00
Gallon Kit: $2999.00

Unless you're going to do a chroming business, at these prices you'd be better off buying the repo plastic bezels.

Definitely is pricey!

Project68

Quote from: timmycharger on November 30, 2017, 02:41:15 PM
Quote from: Project68 on November 29, 2017, 03:34:50 PM

Thanks

John

Good luck on your project, looks like a pretty solid car to start with!  regarding the console plate and door, if they are not pitted you may be able to bring them back.  I had luck in the past with using steel wool carefully on the ribs and raised side edges, not pushing too hard.  for the other areas on the sides, I re painted with argent silver.   I would try to re use old parts as much as possible, I have reproduction plates/door on my car and after returning a set I am still not happy with how they look. Very wavy.

good luck!

Edit: just saw the posting on the dash bezels.  I have repros for that too. They look nice but are very delicate. You look at them wrong and the paint chips off.  You can restore your originals, I have seen folks re paint the chrome parts with silver paint or other methods but it wont look perfect in my opinion.

Thanks. I will try the steel wool recommendation.  :2thumbs:

Project68

Cool photo that made my heart skip a beat. I used my phone camera to take a peek behind the seat to see if the broadcast sheet was there since I could not pull the seat out at the time. Imagine my reaction when I looked at my phone and saw this picture.  :o

WHITE AND RED 69

Sweet project and nice find on the build sheet.

I've got reproduction bezels and they look great but the fitment is just a tad off. If your's are in good shape I'd try to fix them up. Here's a couple threads on restoring your own bezels.  :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86736.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106300.0.html
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Project68

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 01, 2017, 06:48:08 PM
Sweet project and nice find on the build sheet.

I've got reproduction bezels and they look great but the fitment is just a tad off. If your's are in good shape I'd try to fix them up. Here's a couple threads on restoring your own bezels.  :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86736.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106300.0.html

Thanks for the links!  :thumbs: I was hesitant to take on this task but I think I will now.  Anything I can do to save a buck to use somewhere else. The plastic is in good shape, just needs to be re-sprayed. The gauge lenses are cracked and most of the gauges have faded to yellow.

Project68

Took the dash apart this weekend. Sent the gauges out to be tested and any issues repaired. Sent the original AM radio in to get bench tested and repaired if necessary along with the in-dash A/C heater controls. I really wanted to upgrade the AM radio to AM/FM/Bluetooth with Aux input but could not bring myself to modify the original radio. But, the company had another '68 radio core on the shelf that they will modify for me so I will have the benefits of newer technology in the older radio.  Win, Win in my eyes. Should get it all back in a month or so. Going to work on restoring all the dash bezels once the SEM paint arrives. Most of the pads are good except for the pad around the center A/C vents...its looks like it swelled and came unglued from the metal frame. The large dash pad has a few cracks but overall is in great shape. I am thinking of trying to repair it, there must be some sort of crack filler available for restoring dash pads. Pulled the wiring harness off as well, so now I have just a metal frame that I need to prep and paint black. Going to do some research on what paint code to use for the black.

Can anyone post what the glove box pad should look like inside? Mine looks like there was some sort of backing (remnants around the hinges) but it is not there and I can see the yellow foam. You can see a picture of my glove box door in an earlier post a few days ago. Thanks!

VegasCharger

Quote from: Project68 on December 06, 2017, 01:33:49 PM
...Can anyone post what the glove box pad should look like inside?

Here you go.  :cheers:

Project68

Project68

Working on the console metal. It cleaned up but some black paint came off. Pitting is obvious as well but I think I am going to put them back in the car. Before pictures are in a previous post.

Baldwinvette77

i think that still looks pretty good, especially considering its half a century old  :yesnod:

Project68

Got the dash put back together this weekend. Big difference from my previous posts of the condition of the dash. Had the frame blasted, primered and painted with PPG Black. Used restored bezels and cleaned up the dash pads. I did have to use a re-pop dash trim pad. Had the gauges restored (JC Auto) and had the Tach modified with a new circuit board to accept modern ignition set-ups so it would be accurate. Wiring the dash this weekend is the next thing to do.

John

Project68

Had the original radio (on top) gone through by JC Auto Restoration in Washington State. Radio came back looking great.
I wanted to update the radio, but could not justify modifying the original radio that was installed in the dash at the factory, so JC Auto sold me a radio they had on the bench and modified it with a new board, etc. I know have AM/FM, Bluetooth and USB connectivity.

Project68

Anyone knwo where I can get a connecting rod for the center AC vent? I am missing one, although I suppose I could fabricate something.

John

Project68

It's been a while, but I am still working on the Charger. Latest photos of the body.

mike69440

Quote from: Project68 on November 30, 2017, 01:49:39 PM
Pulled the entire dash out of the car to rebuild it. Lots of work to do. i have never restored a dash, so any input is welcome. Looks like I might have to replace all the pads, some have cracks or seem warped. I am sending the gauge cluster, radio and A/C controls out to get restored/upgraded with newer electronic technology. Also swapping clock with a tich-tach clock. I am sure there must be a way to restore the plastic on the dash, unless its cheaper just to buy new reproduction stuff.

Restoring a GenII Charger is an act of love.

I notice an Stang in the background? Is it a Termi?  That's what I sold my 69 Charger SE/RT to buy.  I sort of regret it, but least a good Cobra Still brings $20K used.

Finn

Lookin' great! Nice work
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Project68

Quote from: mike69440 on April 20, 2018, 12:53:30 PM
Quote from: Project68 on November 30, 2017, 01:49:39 PM

Restoring a GenII Charger is an act of love.

I notice an Stang in the background? Is it a Termi?  That's what I sold my 69 Charger SE/RT to buy.  I sort of regret it, but least a good Cobra Still brings $20K used.

I wish it was a Termi. It's an '04 Stage 2 Roush. I bought it new...24,800 miles on it now. I have made a few engine mods but that about it.

Q5XX29

Fun to watch your progress. Looking good!
dakota_gt on Instagram

Project68

Engine is now rebuilt. Final touches have been done and was run on the burn-in stand.

Project68

Anyone know where I can find a replacement air cleaner decal like the one shown? I have looked for a while and cannot find one anywhere.

Thanks!

John