News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LCA shaft kit issues

Started by NHCharger, September 08, 2017, 08:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

Decided to replace the LCA shaft and bushings. I got the parts from Just Suspension. As you can see the new shaft doesn't have that shoulder on it to hold it off the K member but the new bushing does have a shoulder the same depth. So I get the old bushing out and discover that the new bushing with the steel case will not fit into the LCA unless I remove the steel case which I don't think was the intent.
These parts are made by Proforged. Has anyone else had this problem? Or am I missing something? Am I supposed to pound out the existing steel sleeve?

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

70 sublime

Yes that sleeve inside the lower control arm has to come out
Just went through the joy of changing them myself

It is in the hole in such a way that you can not just push it out so I ended up folding it over enough all the way around that there was enough to push on from the back side that I could push it out on the press
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Lennard

Weld a thick washer on it so you have something to press against.

70 sublime

Quote from: Lennard on September 09, 2017, 12:28:36 AM
Weld a thick washer on it so you have something to press against.

That might work ( still have to do my other side)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

sccachallenger

That will work!
I was told to do it this way back in the '80s, never tried it 'till recently.
I dropped a flat washer in the hole, then put a scrap of square tubing on top.
That way I just welded the corners of the tubing to the bushing shell, easy.
Pressed it out, no problems!
And it eliminated all the hammering, cussing, prying, and injuries from the old way, and doesn't beat up your LC arms.
Wish I'd tried this when I first got my welder.

NHCharger

Thanks for the replies. I was real tired last night when I posted this.  When I got up this morning I remember I had to remove the steel sleeves when I built my 68 several years ago. I did use the trick of welding a washer to the sleeve to help punch it out.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TeleThunder

Wld a shim on the bushing, makes it so easy to press it out :2thumbs:

NHCharger

OK.  Got them both out. First I pushed out the inner sleeve and rubber bushing. I inserted a 11/16" socket and using my puller I pushed the socket into the LCA and pushed the rubber and inner sleeve out.
Since I was replacing the LCA shaft the old washer fit perfectly inside the remaining sleeve. Before I welded the washer to the sleeve I welded the old shaft nut onto the back side of the washer. After welding the washer onto the sleeve I inserted the old LCA shaft, screwed it onto the nut and with a few taps of my framing hammer the sleeve popped right out. :2thumbs: :cheers:

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TeleThunder

Well done :cheers
And remember if you want to change the ball joints also now, some are screw in and not press in style. I was not able to find tools for this, so I modified a 17/8"socket, worked like a charm ;)