News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Axle end play

Started by Dino, September 10, 2017, 12:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I reinstalled the axles in my 8.75 and I'm having trouble setting end play so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Since I had RTV on the axle flanges, I tightened both down. I don't think that is an issue but maybe it is.

I smacked the driver side axle with a mallet while spinning the axle. I then went to the passenger side to tighten the adjuster and back off to set end play. With the axle out I could spin the adjuster with my fingers easily. Now it needed a good few whacks to break it loose so there was a good amount of tension there. I backed off the adjuster probably near 2 turns now and there is still no end play. I spun both axles a few times but no change. I have rotors installed on them so I have plenty to grab onto to feel for any motion and there is none.

Now what?

Edit: open gear in a 741 case
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

if you used RTV, silicon ,the bearing race is probobly stuck in place.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

Good point, I'll check it out.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dino on September 10, 2017, 12:12:05 PM
With the axle out I could spin the adjuster with my fingers easily. Now it needed a good few whacks to break it loose so there was a good amount of tension there. I backed off the adjuster probably near 2 turns now and there is still no end play.

When adjusting the end play, occasionally smack the passenger side axle with the same mallet.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 11, 2017, 01:02:14 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 10, 2017, 12:12:05 PM
With the axle out I could spin the adjuster with my fingers easily. Now it needed a good few whacks to break it loose so there was a good amount of tension there. I backed off the adjuster probably near 2 turns now and there is still no end play.

When adjusting the end play, occasionally smack the passenger side axle with the same mallet.

Will do.

I've done this before without issues so I'll check if the RTV is in the way and then repeat the procedure.

71 SE3834V

Dino, the flange gaskets are available from O'Reilly's. If I remember right (geez it only last spring) I had to go back and forth smacking both sides a few times before it settled in and I got the right end play. Do you need my dial indicator?
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

I figured I'd made it easy and use RTV...  :lol:

I'll try a few whacks before I take it apart, but if I have to go that route then I'll just get the gaskets. I've always done it by feel but it won't hurt to use a dial indicator and actually do it right! We can do that when the car is closer to being finished. No rush there.

Any progress on your A/C system?

71 SE3834V

Nope.
In fact I've taken a step backwards. Went for a few rides and had oil leaking out the shaft seal. Pulled the compressor out last week, removed the seal and it looked as good as the day I installed it.  :shruggy: Slapped it back together to deal with it another day. Seriously considering a rebuilt unit.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

Well that sucks! Maybe you fixed the problem though by opening it up. Worth a shot.

End play is set arbitrarily. I removed the passenger side axle this morning. The race was spinning freely but I probably broke the RTV seal when pulling it out. I cleaned it all up, reinstalled and went through the procedure without a hitch.

Moral of the story: go easy with the RTV if you have to use it.