News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Scratch one Hellcat...

Started by areibel, September 11, 2017, 02:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Aero426

6bblgt

someone must have moved their braking cone

68X426

That airport brags that it has the longest mountain runway in Colorado, 8300 feet long (1.6 miles).

And it STILL wasn't long enough.  Wow.

http://www.buenavistaairport.com

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

JR

As hellcats continue to depreciate, I bet this will become much more common.

Arent they down into the 40k range now?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mike DC

I don't see Hellcats ever getting cheap enough to make this common.  More like regular Challys & Mustangs & Camaros.

The Hellcat came to rest 650 feet from the end of the runway . . . that's over 200 yards of flying & tumbling.  And they were on the brakes hard enough to leave skidmarks on the runway first.  Damn.  They must have been MOVING when they got into trouble. 

70 sublime

I hope the other guy in the car got to at least test drive first  :eek2:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

wingcar

Another example of......Low Performance driving in a High Performance car

(That runway could have been another 1000 feet and it more than likely would have been the same outcome......8000 feet gets eaten up very quickly at over 100 mph)

1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

flyinlow

A mans got to know his limitations.

One of the first rules of Aviation or if you sneak your car out on a runway.

A Chrysler video about the hellcat Charger said it takes almost 4 miles to get to 204mph and stop.

alfaitalia

Quote from: 440 on September 12, 2017, 08:29:30 AM
Yet people survive crashes like this....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mSPjC1Ek7vA

Pity he did...he was a car thief and was being chased by the police when that happened. Probably only the fact the car spun and he hit the concrete backward that he survived at all.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

QuoteA Chrysler video about the hellcat Charger said it takes almost 4 miles to get to 204mph and stop.

Maybe that's what they were trying to do when they got too far down the runway.  Find the ultimate top speed. 

I've driven on El Mirage (dry lakebed) in Cali a bunch of times.    Even with several miles of space you still need to keep aware of your location when going fast.  At 100 mph you are covering a football field every 2 seconds. 

68X426

So I was asking google about top speeds over a one mile timed course, and learned about The Colorado Mile.  It is raced at another airport, Front Range.  The organizers also have other mile races, the US Mile, the Texas Mile, and the Arkansas Mile.

https://www.usmileracing.com/the-colorado-mile/

The Colorado race is three years old, just held last weekend.  My guess is that these 2 Hellcaters wanted to be there at Front Range, but forgot to send the entry fee, so they borrowed another runway.

TheFastLane.com has measured a stock Hellcat at 167 mph for the mile.  Their estimate is this one hit 175 somewhere after the one mile, and then there was no runway left.

I used a variety of distance/speed calculators on-line, and the answer to the question - how long did they have to completely stop after 175 ? - is between 6 and 11 seconds.  Those are the range of seconds available if everything was perfect in their timing and braking.

They met their limitations, as observed earlier.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

v21hemicharger

This Bugatti did 0-250-0 in just under 2 miles  1.93.  It may have been able to hit 0-200-0 on that runway.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/benchmarker-watch-bugatti-chiron-goes-nearly-250-mph-back-zero-42-seconds/

HPP

Buena Vista CO sits at about 8000' above sea level. They were not going to be anywhere near other recorded top speeds, even with forced induction. There's simply not enough air up there.

morepower

its kind of amazing how you wouldnt drive down the runway at normal speeds and check out the end and what not and decide a braking point for your car. dumbasses
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

alfaitalia

Quote from: HPP on September 15, 2017, 09:21:07 AM
Buena Vista CO sits at about 8000' above sea level. They were not going to be anywhere near other recorded top speeds, even with forced induction. There's simply not enough air up there.

By my calculations on that car it would only make about 3 hp per thousand feet of altitude ...so about 24 horses. Tally that with the slightly thinner air the motor is pushing the car through..... and the difference in top speed would be very small.....but obviously way too fast for the distance at hand...lol!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!