News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Auto Air Crank Pulley Question

Started by bill440rt, September 11, 2017, 09:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Hey all, I've been away from the 'site for a while, but I've got a question for those who have installed Classic Auto Air in their car with a big block.
Mods, not sure if this is in the right section so feel free to move if necessary.

Car is a '68 Charger, originally a non-A/C car. I'm going to install a Classic Auto Air perfect-fit system. For the lower crank pulley, they give you this big, clunky cast aluminum pulley that basically bolts over the existing 2-groove pulley for routing the belt to the new compressor. Has anyone had any issues with this add-on pulley? Does it clear a clutch fan? Anyone do something different with the pulley arrangement?
Any help or insight is appreciated! Thanks!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BLK 68 R/T

When I installed the classic auto air setup on mine, I neglected to use their mounting bracket and pulley system. I just couldn't bring myself to bolt that monstrous add on pulley to the front of my engine, plus it mounts GM style with only 3 bolts. Comfort level just wasn't there for me. I bought the Sanden style compressor bracket that mounts it in the factory location. I also went with the factory 4 groove pulley setup, although if I had to do it over I would find a 3 groove crank pulley to simplify things a bit more. Using a 3 groove would eliminate the idler pulley and bracket. Rear 2 belts on the crank pulley drive the compressor and alternator, then the front single belt drives the water pump and p/s pump. You still need the a/c style brackets for the alternator and the small diameter water pump pulley though I think for it all to work though, spacing wise.

On a side note, with the supplied bracket in the kit and using their add on pulley it appeared to me that the fan blade would be extremely close to touching the a/c compressor hub when I was mocking it up in my car. Using aftermarket radiators, clutch fans, mechanical fans or electric fans all would have an effect on the clearance distance between the a/c hub and the fan though.

oldcarnut

I didn't get a pulley with my kit or the bracket.  The motor I installed it n already had BPE pulleys and brackets for the AC.  I thought that CAA used his brackets with their kit.   I do have a 4 groove pulley but one isn't used

Kern Dog

If you choose to use a 4 groove pulley, I have several of them. Some were small block, some were big block. I may have a few 3 groove ones too. I'll send it to you free, just pay for shipping. A USPS $14 flat rate box.
Just let me know.   :2thumbs:

fizz

I used their setup. Had to change the fan spacer for clearance at the ac belt

bill440rt

Thanks all for the pics & info guys, it helps greatly! Keep 'em coming!  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog, you have PM.  :cheers:
BLK 68 R/T, yeah I can't bring myself to install that giant boat anchor pulley adapter, either. It just seems like a lot of spinning mass to be held in place with 3 lousy bolts. I'd much rather have a stock appearing pulley setup.
Last kit I installed was on my '69 with this custom serpentine setup, but for my other car I want to keep a "stock-ish" appearance.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Kern Dog

I took several pictures of several 3 and 4 groove pulleys that I have. I need to load and resize them. Maybe I can try sending them directly from the phone.
Most are 7 1/4" diameter. All of them need to be cleaned and painted.