News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If you had a choice?

Started by 440, September 12, 2017, 03:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had a choice what would you do?

Move up into a once in a lifetime lifestyle property knowing you couldn't do (afford) much car hobby stuff for quite a while.

Or

Move further out into a decent property where you could afford to finish your current car projects and set yourself up with a better equipped home workshop ?

marshallfry01

1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

70 sublime

So either sell all my stuff ( including where I live and car toys ) to get a fancy place to live ( to also have a happy wife ? )

OR

Just sell where I live to get a bigger place out farther from all my friends and have lots of room to play with cars and have a little cash left over to use on the cars stuff ?

If there is a wife I would do the fancy place move ( she will enjoy it too)
No wife I would get the bigger shop and lots of car stuff  :icon_smile_big:  
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

You can keep everything that you currently have, but there's no extra cash to spend on your current projects, at least not for a while.

Bob

tan top

Quote from: 440 on September 12, 2017, 03:44:52 AM

Move further out into a decent property where you could afford to finish your current car projects and set yourself up with a better equipped home workshop ?

this !  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Number two.  I tried number one and eventually that didn't work out.

funknut

I recently took the first option knowing that the place we found was truly a once in a generation, if not a once in a lifetime, opportunity. 

My car doesn't *need* much right now.  It runs and drives well and has a dry spot in the garage.  I'll still have budget for maintenance and repairs, but significant upgrades or tools are going to be on hold for a while.  So, my point is I get to enjoy my car.  If it were a project in pieces that was going to sit for years before I'd get to do anything with it except stare at it in frustration, that might be a different consideration.

Also, I'm still in the front half of my career with some additional earning potential ahead of me, so while we're stretched a bit thin right now, I know it won't be forever.

JB400

The one that made me the happiest.

Interesting the majority say #2

#1 is amazing and there's no way you'd be able to buy/build anything like it again. The potential for an awesome home workshop is there, but money would be too tight to "splash out" on larger ticket items.

#2 would be comfortable, but #1 would always be in the back of your head  :lol:

Kern Dog

Is place #1 a nudist colony with twentysomething women???
If no, I'd choose #2.

Old Moparz

If number two fits your current lifestyle, your future lifestyle that may include kids, fits your budget & it also allows you free time for your hobby, then it sounds like a no brainer by going with this one. If your age is up there or you're a couch potato that can't climb stairs without being out of breath then a simple home that's easy to deal with is what you want, or need. I'm not sure what you mean by "A once in a lifetime lifestyle property" but I am guessing that it's a fancier house? Something that's more upscale? If that's what you prefer in a house then you won't be happy with the first one if you need to keep up with, or surpass the Jones & kick their asses with curb appeal.  :lol:

Keep this in mind about choosing number one. If something financially catastrophic happens to you, like job loss or the economy tanking again, you can probably remain in your house taking a job or two doing almost anything to pay bills. If you end up needing unforeseen, major repairs on the building, the upscale home is naturally going to cost you a lot more especially if you have to hire someone to do it. What about taxes? Did you look into both? I saw a house before I bought mine where the taxes were so effin' high that the amount taken into escrow each month was about 30% higher than the loan.  :o

I know people that have bought beyond their means thinking that they'd be okay. They were okay living paycheck to paycheck until they had been foreclosed on once finances went to hell.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

pipeliner

Dont put yourself in a bind. Working for just a mortgage payment will make you guys miserable. I worked my butt off and payed about $70k down on our place to get our payment lower and also a shorter term while still allowing us to have newer cars, awesome vacations and so forth. Living paycheck to paycheck sucks!

I live paycheck to paycheck only because I squander the rest on car/shop stuff  :lol:  it does suck at times when something goes wrong but it's what I'm used to. Said car/shop money would have to go towards the higher mortgage. Initially things will be quite tight till our current house sells.

A better property is probably a better long term financial decision compared to spending it on "hobby" stuff. Even through the GFC minimum growth was still 3%

We are looking at moving so this is a real fork in the road of life.

crj1968

Take the property- there is no shortage of toys out there...........

Tilar

I would settle for a decent property where I could afford my toys. To me, a fancy place is nothing more than a feel good when comparing achievements at a class reunion. If the wife doesn't want to go along with it, maybe you can still setup conjugal visits ;)
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Alaskan_TA

I went with choice 2 for myself & there is still never enough money to do all I would like.

Time & patience.

I am very happy with my choice.

Charger RT

I guess I took option 2 without knowing it. Option 1 doesn't interest me. First of all I feel very uncomfortable in a new house or upscale house. I'm afraid to touch anything. Afraid I'll stain the furniture or mark a wall. My current house that i bought in 2002 was built in 1935. The house I sold at that time was built in 1920. Both are sound homes with plaster walls that look old and feels comfortable. I did build a garage here with a bigger foot print on the property then the house does. I pay cash for cars because I could not bear to have a car payment higher then my mortgage.

This has worked well for me and I sleep well at night. I hope you make the right decision that works for you.

If I ever hit the lottery for big money I will buy a big old house and build a much bigger shop or shops.
Tim

GreenMachine

I chose #2, but if I had a chance to get an upscale house for well under market value, I'd probably do that. Then sell it in a year or three.

Remember, all your bills will go up too: utilities, insurance, and especially taxes.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

triple_green

If you assume that the house opportunity will increase your net worth more in the long run, then you can assess if delayed gratification (car stuff) is worth having more than net worth in the long run.

I love my Charger, but if I had an opportunity to make 3 times the amount of money by selling it and putting my money somewhere else, I would do it in a heartbeat!

3X (Financial Planner)
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

boss429kiwi

NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Laowho

Move somewhere 3d-world-ish, rent a town, open a chop-shop, and anarcho-syndicalist the **** out of the place. It ain't all heart of darkness out there.

Ghoste

ralley72

Move farther out, I did and love it. built a small house and nice barn. No going back to city life for me.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

morepower

1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105