News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HAVE 1970 DATED 440 (NOT HP) BUT MISSING THE MAIN CAPS IS IT WORTHLESS NOW

Started by kevs1969daytona, September 13, 2017, 11:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

So I took my date coded 1970 block 440 to the shop for a "store credit" on a rebuild of another 440, engine has everything except the 4 main caps, the engine guy says without the caps the block which according to him is in good shape is "worthless" without those 4 caps.  Is that correct.  Sorry not an engine builder hence the question.  I think that can't be true thou.  Don't want to be ripped off.  :scratchchin:

ChargerST

Without the main caps it is definitely worth a little less but not worthless. You could get other caps (stock, ductile, steel, aluminum) and have it line bored/honed - it would be better than with the original caps (but adds the cost of machining).

Challenger340

Geez times have changed ?
Time was any Machine Shop worth a hoot could fit Main Caps.... all that a guy needed was a box of stock Caps pilfered from dead Engine blocks(Yes, we'd save the Caps before discarding the Block), and a couple hours to "fit" the closest locating ones, and presto.... with some minor register peening and a line hone things were just ducky ?
9 out 10 times NO Line Bore was Req'd, just some time/skill and a Line Hone.

If you can find a good selection of stock 440 Caps to play with ?
and
someone who still knows how to work these old Blocks and their Line Hone ?
about 3-4 hours.....
making the Block far from worthless.

If Not ?
as mentioned, buy some aftermarket Steel Caps.... Line Bore... then Line Hone to "adjust" after if req'd.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

ACUDANUT

Okay, I am not a Expert or Novice.  But A HP block only means it was a 4 barrel, a Different cam and dual exhausts.  Main caps were all the same, or so I thought.  :shruggy:

chargerbr549

Another option that might work on the main caps is use a 383 or 400 set of main caps and just have it line bored? I don't know if this would work but it looks possible. One area you would have to make sure of is the thrust main since there is some differences between years and blocks.

bee1971

440 source sells the factory 383 main caps , limited supply

Better options for a 440 would bee EBay or these forums or Craigslist or

They also sell the new billet steel main caps for $150 , one size fits all , and yes line boring would bee required as the main journals are different sizes between 383 s and 440 s

My engine builder , machine shop insisted on new main caps and line boring for my 383 / 432 Stroker motor that is being built

Honestly I didn't think it was necessary on a 500 HP 383 Magnum street motor , but they disagreed, and they wanted to use studs instead of bolts anyways for the main caps so they said at a minimum line honing because of the torque difference between bolts and studs

$150 for billet steel main caps
$200 for line boring
$75 for ARP studs

NitroNeal

You anywhere near central Ca.?  I've got a set with bolts. 20 bucks.