News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

torsion bar specs.

Started by 74charger07ram, September 14, 2017, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74charger07ram

On my 74 Charger the left hand (drivers) side torsion bar has a bow to it. It is hard to see if you are looking down it but I put it on a cement slab and there is a 0.90 bow. I know there is some tolerance because of the flats and all but I need to know if this bar is any good. It is from a 318 car. Thanks for the help. :brickwall:

68CoronetRT

I dont think you should see a bow. You should see a "twist" from the 2 hexes. If the bars are bowing then they are just sagging and should be replaced.

HPP

Ideally, no, you don't want to use a damage t-bar. However, odds are that bar was bent many moons ago and driven without issue for years. Since the spring in it is supplied via twisting, the bow may create a binding this twist. Would I continue to use it, no, but I also think the original bars were too soft and should be stepped up anyway. I'd recommend a 1" unit from Firm Feel or Just Suspension.

74charger07ram

Thanks for the info. I was trying to save some money on this project but at the same tine I want to do it right and safe.

HPP

You could use the originals as a stop gap to keep progress moving forward, but I'd plan on replacing it in the future.