DodgeCharger.com Forum
October 21, 2017, 06:10:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please remember: this is the place to discuss Chargers - NOT the place to discuss politics. Political posts will be locked or deleted at the Moderator's discretion.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A real Barn Find instead of a story-The Bird in the Barn for 43 years!)  (Read 2538 times)
68X426
Old Timer

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 08:56:26 PM »

the un-tampared originality and history of your car is what makes it special

Well said.  2thumbs

Dare to be different!

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow
thehemikid

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 12:21:32 AM »

My vote,... leave it alone as much as possible.

I would fix only the things that hinder it from being drive-able, reliable or doesn't work.
I would enjoy driving it as is, as a cleaned up, or even a dirty barn find.
The mouse smell would definitely have to be fixed.  eek icon_smile_big
alfaitalia
Old Timer

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 12:46:59 AM »

Really!??? On a non rusty car I would agree 100% - originality is everything....but this car has rust....there is nothing attractive or value enhancing about rust, whether its old rust or new. Not to mention leaving it there will mean the car depreciating rather than growing in value as the rust gets worse (as we all know that when the rust gets in there it ONLY gets worse....and that's just the rust you CAN see!). Are you suggesting leave the rust until the holes get bigger or the floor pan perforates. At the very least the rust needs a chemical treatment to stop it getting worse (....and I've never found a substance that really works for more than a few months)....removing rust is the only real solution to that type of corrosion. It would be a shame to see the car slowly rusting away just to meet someone's requirements for originality. If everyone did that a lot of the high value fully restored cars on this forum would have rusted to the point of a one way trip to the crusher by now....is that what you really would want for it? ....especially on a car getting as rare as a real 'bird.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!
moparstuart
Old Timer

Kansas Mafia Member , Overland park Ks.

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »

Don't listen to the people that are saying fix the the rust/restore it etc...

They are still stuck in the past, the car hobby has grown to appreciate originality in all forms now!
You will get more looks, attention & appreciation leaving the car original(rust & all), and thus telling the story in first tense.
Once you restore it, spot the paint in, you are  not only erasing what you can't replace but you are also making a decision on originality (for the cars sake) that will reverberate into the cars future and future owners, thus changing its history.
Anybody with money can restore a car, and any average spectator can appreciate a shiny "as new" example of a rare car, but the un-tampared originality and history of your car is what makes it special, and to polish & buff that away is not something I would agree with.
cheers cheers  Here here   spot on   2thumbs

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE
moparstuart
Old Timer

Kansas Mafia Member , Overland park Ks.

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »

Really!??? On a non rusty car I would agree 100% - originality is everything....but this car has rust....there is nothing attractive or value enhancing about rust, whether its old rust or new. Not to mention leaving it there will mean the car depreciating rather than growing in value as the rust gets worse (as we all know that when the rust gets in there it ONLY gets worse....and that's just the rust you CAN see!). Are you suggesting leave the rust until the holes get bigger or the floor pan perforates. At the very least the rust needs a chemical treatment to stop it getting worse (....and I've never found a substance that really works for more than a few months)....removing rust is the only real solution to that type of corrosion. It would be a shame to see the car slowly rusting away just to meet someone's requirements for originality. If everyone did that a lot of the high value fully restored cars on this forum would have rusted to the point of a one way trip to the crusher by now....is that what you really would want for it? ....especially on a car getting as rare as a real 'bird.
RUST IS NOT A CRIME  ,  and yes some of us like it that way  .   

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE
charger_fan_4ever
Old Timer

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »

Surface rust on a survivor ok, but rot holes the size of your fists ?
chaaargerb

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »

My vote,... leave it alone as much as possible.

I would fix only the things that hinder it from being drive-able, reliable or doesn't work.
I would enjoy driving it as is, as a cleaned up, or even a dirty barn find.
The mouse smell would definitely have to be fixed.  eek icon_smile_big

I think I would detail the car the way your doing it. Hopefully you can get the motor loosened up Then drive it the way it is. The rust may advance but when the car does get restored you'll still be putting on full Quarters/Wheelhouses ect.

My first car was a 69 charger that had a rot hole in the passenger side rear quarter about the size of a football. The only time it bothered me was when I was burning all the rubber off the rear tires and the car would fill up with smoke. icon_smile_big
chaaargerb

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2017, 10:02:30 AM »

If you do decide to restore it then maybe offer it up the way it is I'm sure someone would like it the way it is plus do you really want to go thru another ground up resto again?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: