DodgeCharger.com Forum
December 17, 2017, 01:42:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DodgeCharger.com decals are available here!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A real Barn Find instead of a story-The Bird in the Barn for 43 years!)  (Read 3767 times)
68X426
Old Timer

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 08:56:26 PM »

the un-tampared originality and history of your car is what makes it special

Well said.  2thumbs

Dare to be different!

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow
thehemikid

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 12:21:32 AM »

My vote,... leave it alone as much as possible.

I would fix only the things that hinder it from being drive-able, reliable or doesn't work.
I would enjoy driving it as is, as a cleaned up, or even a dirty barn find.
The mouse smell would definitely have to be fixed.  eek icon_smile_big
alfaitalia
Old Timer

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 12:46:59 AM »

Really!??? On a non rusty car I would agree 100% - originality is everything....but this car has rust....there is nothing attractive or value enhancing about rust, whether its old rust or new. Not to mention leaving it there will mean the car depreciating rather than growing in value as the rust gets worse (as we all know that when the rust gets in there it ONLY gets worse....and that's just the rust you CAN see!). Are you suggesting leave the rust until the holes get bigger or the floor pan perforates. At the very least the rust needs a chemical treatment to stop it getting worse (....and I've never found a substance that really works for more than a few months)....removing rust is the only real solution to that type of corrosion. It would be a shame to see the car slowly rusting away just to meet someone's requirements for originality. If everyone did that a lot of the high value fully restored cars on this forum would have rusted to the point of a one way trip to the crusher by now....is that what you really would want for it? ....especially on a car getting as rare as a real 'bird.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!
moparstuart
Old Timer

Kansas Mafia Member , Overland park Ks.

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »

Don't listen to the people that are saying fix the the rust/restore it etc...

They are still stuck in the past, the car hobby has grown to appreciate originality in all forms now!
You will get more looks, attention & appreciation leaving the car original(rust & all), and thus telling the story in first tense.
Once you restore it, spot the paint in, you are  not only erasing what you can't replace but you are also making a decision on originality (for the cars sake) that will reverberate into the cars future and future owners, thus changing its history.
Anybody with money can restore a car, and any average spectator can appreciate a shiny "as new" example of a rare car, but the un-tampared originality and history of your car is what makes it special, and to polish & buff that away is not something I would agree with.
cheers cheers  Here here   spot on   2thumbs

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE
moparstuart
Old Timer

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »

Really!??? On a non rusty car I would agree 100% - originality is everything....but this car has rust....there is nothing attractive or value enhancing about rust, whether its old rust or new. Not to mention leaving it there will mean the car depreciating rather than growing in value as the rust gets worse (as we all know that when the rust gets in there it ONLY gets worse....and that's just the rust you CAN see!). Are you suggesting leave the rust until the holes get bigger or the floor pan perforates. At the very least the rust needs a chemical treatment to stop it getting worse (....and I've never found a substance that really works for more than a few months)....removing rust is the only real solution to that type of corrosion. It would be a shame to see the car slowly rusting away just to meet someone's requirements for originality. If everyone did that a lot of the high value fully restored cars on this forum would have rusted to the point of a one way trip to the crusher by now....is that what you really would want for it? ....especially on a car getting as rare as a real 'bird.
RUST IS NOT A CRIME  ,  and yes some of us like it that way  .   

charger_fan_4ever
Old Timer

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »

Surface rust on a survivor ok, but rot holes the size of your fists ?
chaaargerb

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »

My vote,... leave it alone as much as possible.

I would fix only the things that hinder it from being drive-able, reliable or doesn't work.
I would enjoy driving it as is, as a cleaned up, or even a dirty barn find.
The mouse smell would definitely have to be fixed.  eek icon_smile_big

I think I would detail the car the way your doing it. Hopefully you can get the motor loosened up Then drive it the way it is. The rust may advance but when the car does get restored you'll still be putting on full Quarters/Wheelhouses ect.

My first car was a 69 charger that had a rot hole in the passenger side rear quarter about the size of a football. The only time it bothered me was when I was burning all the rubber off the rear tires and the car would fill up with smoke. icon_smile_big
chaaargerb

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2017, 10:02:30 AM »

If you do decide to restore it then maybe offer it up the way it is I'm sure someone would like it the way it is plus do you really want to go thru another ground up resto again?
taxspeaker

The Alaska Highway Superbird

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2017, 08:12:03 AM »

In the last month we have not done a ton of work because I am on overtime until Christmas. Here is what we have done:

We removed the radiator and determined it was rotten. We recored it while saving the top and bottom for originality-it looks original

We cleaned the carpet several times and found that although it is physically reusable the mouse pee smell is actually worse and we will order new carpet soon.

We examined the master cylinder and found it dry, and rather than fool around with safety we have ordered all the original OEM Mopar parts and have them in hand to rebuild the master and wheel cylinders, hoses, calipers shoes, pads and emergency brake lines

We examined the gas tank and found it did not have gas in it (A good thing!) but we were unable to remove it for cleaning because of the trailer hitch, becoming a future job.

After a month of trying everything known to man we have been unable to get the pistons to free up, so the engine will need pulling in the future. We took the hood off to get to things but just no luck and we do not want to damage the original engine and all the original parts.

We examined all the wiring and found no issues whatsoever other than a bad horn relay and the clock in the tic toc tach not working, which is normal.

We are getting ready to clean the surface rust on the interior floors and then seal them before putting in new carpet-the smell from the old carpet is just unbearable. We also replaced the back seat base frame and will need to recover it and the front seat because the holes are just too bad. Hoping for a sale at Legendary this week! Although we have a new headliner, I decided to live with the old one for a while just patching the holes.

In working under the dash we found the home of all the mice-it was the heater box, and the thing was an absolute EPA clean up site. Anyway, it is now out and has been sent off to TheHeaterBox guy for restoration. You don't want to get the interior back in working order with a bad heater core, motor and mice, so it makes sense.

I found a repro nose jack and have reinstalled the original spare wheel with a new tire, and both jacks , handles and bases. We also removed the 40+ year old aftermarket tires and junked them, saving the old wheels for future restoration. I also found an old clutch dust cover so the only thing I am now missing is a starter. We went back up yesterday to get a bill of sale I forgot to have signed and went through the garage and are unable to find the starter, but I do have one from 1970 that needs rebuilding so it is not a disaster.

Between now and Thanksgiving we are going to sand down the surface rust on the floor and seal it (there are no holes and it appears to all be surface rust), reinstall the interior and check everything there while cleaning it real good. Over Christmas we will do a complete brake rebuild and then decide whether to go forward. At that point I will probably be selling the car, the engine rebuild and body work is just more than I want to do and more than my boys have time to do-I will put it on here first before EBay.

Bob J
1969 Daytona 4 speed, numbers matching Y2
1970 Superbird-"The Alaska Highway SuperBird" "Alpine White
1970 Superbird- "The 43 year barn find LimeLight" Bird
1994 Viper
Mytur Binsdirti
Old Timer

We all put the yeast in.

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »

at 60K probably the best "buy" on a wing car in a long time.  cheers

At first glance, that may sound reasonable, but it sure sounds like that it now needs a full restoration. What's a realistic price that a restored 440 Bird 4-speed going for these days?
69bronzeT5
Old Timer

SRT- You're either with us....or behind us

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 12:14:58 AM »

Hey all-

Here's an article I did on Bob's Superbird cheers

http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/finders-keepers-bob-jennings-1970-plymouth-superbird-barn-find/

Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel
moparstuart
Old Timer

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2017, 08:19:44 AM »

cool  nice article   

1969 R/T SE

1969 charger R/T SE

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2017, 01:50:24 PM »

This an incredible article, please donít stop posting on this anytime soon.  popcrn popcrn popcrn
tan top
Old Timer

69 R/T SE -A47-Y2-CRX-V1T-V88

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »

good write up Cody ,  nice work  2thumbs coolgleamA cheers
69bronzeT5
Old Timer

SRT- You're either with us....or behind us

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »

Thank you for the kind words everyone! cheers

Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/