News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ball joint castle nuts

Started by Dino, September 17, 2017, 07:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I don't have the fsm in front of me, but I recall the castle nuts on the upper and lower ball joints need to be torqued to like 50 and 100 foot-pounds respectively. Does that sound right? 100 seems like a lot for a castle nut.

These suckers need a 7/8" socket which I don't have. Can I do this with an open end? If not I guess I'll need to find a short socket.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Gold Rush

On my '74 the upper ball joint torque is 100 lbs and the lower 85 lbs.

Don't see how you could get an accurate torque with an open end or even a box end wrench.  AutoZone and other parts stores have tool loaner programs...
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

71charger_fan

You can buy an open stock 7/8" deep socket from Home Depot for less than $4.

BLK 68 R/T

From the 69 Charger/Dart FSM

green69rt

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on September 18, 2017, 10:34:42 AM
From the 69 Charger/Dart FSM

Crossmember is the K frame, right?  I've been looking for that number.

BLK 68 R/T

Dino

Alright I'll get the socket. I didn't think there was room for a deep socket...not sure why now...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.