News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grille Speed Nuts

Started by cincyboy, September 19, 2017, 08:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cincyboy

So I believe I have read the whole grille restoration database.  Maybe I missed it? 

I have an 68 charger, 2nd owner.  I'm working on the grille and am hunting the speed nuts which are 10-24.  ( head light door pod bracket to grille)

See attached pic.  Even the restoration places we all know are offering grille hardware kits are using a different speed nut than my originals.   (see 2nd pic).   Its a restomod original 318 car so I'm ok with deviating on some of the exact details, but would like top respect the original intent.

So I have speed nuts on order, but where can you get 10-24 hex head Sems bolts?  All  I can find in fractional size are phillips head sems bolts? 

Did the Resto shops metioned change to a metric fastener and speed nut?  I can find metric all day long? 

cincyboy

Crap Pic 1 original left off. :icon_smile_angry:

69bfan

AMK Products out of Winchester, VA. is your best bet.  An unbelievable assortment of fasteners.  Just Goggle the name.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

cincyboy

gtx6970

Where on the grill is that style bolt a 10-24 ?

Every grill Ive done the 10-24 is hex head machine screw -  hold the 3 pieces of the grille together and actually mounts the grille assy to the metal carrier 
10-24 with a 5-16"  indented hex head

The bolt you show is a 1/4-20 that holds the grille frame to the body

cincyboy

The actuator mounting bracket to grille.  This is where I got the above speed nut in my hand (pic above).  Thread gauge shows bolt as 10-24.  I got the car from original owner, I'd be surprised if they had bee tampered with.  Who knows.