News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Waltermelon" charger

Started by generalfan01, August 17, 2005, 08:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

:Twocents: Circa 1970 Dodge dealer and the factory collaberated and created this custom charger
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77887.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

WINGIN IT

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 18, 2013, 11:21:55 AM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on July 18, 2013, 07:35:18 AM
The question is Dave, is the sunroof on the car in question a factory sunroof, or an aftermarket installation?

Joe all the "factory" sunroofs are "aftermarket", all were performed by ASC off line, a car could be also be retro fitted as a dealer done item later, plus ASC had authorized installation shops around the country, one could just drive to, and have an installation done, that would appear "factory"....but I know you may also mean an actual aftermarket unit that is not "factory" appearing,...I've gone to look at cars that people claim are "factory sunroof" cars, only to find an aftermarker pop up style glass panel :brickwall:

Understood Mike. I should have clarified what I meant by aftermarket. Unfortunately without a fender tag or build sheet, it would be tough to completely verify if it came with the car originally.
Of course if it's the "pop-up" type, it should be  a no brainer...  ;D

70moparman

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 02, 2013, 11:18:27 AM
Mike was the original car  pic snapped in Detroit , or somewhere in Michigan?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe,...the photo that was eventually made into a wall poster by the Chrysler photo studios was shot in Chrysler's Hamtramck rear holding yard, often where vehicles that were pulled off the line for "special" purposes were held, be it dealer specials, execs cars, promos, etc

mike

And all the black & white photos were in a manilla file marked "McCurry's Car".

I know, I saw it.

They were the only thing in there...

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: odcics2 on July 19, 2013, 04:20:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe,...the photo that was eventually made into a wall poster by the Chrysler photo studios was shot in Chrysler's Hamtramck rear holding yard, often where vehicles that were pulled off the line for "special" purposes were held, be it dealer specials, execs cars, promos, etc

mike

I know, I saw it.

I showed Bob McCurry copy's of those photos of the green 70 Daytona and told him that it said "McCurry's car" on the folder.  He said he never saw the car or knew anything about it.   Then he said that the Daytona was known as "My car"    He went on about not building any Charger's at the Hamtramck Plant in 70 and the liabilities of building a 70 Daytona and why they didn't..  Pretty sharp for a guy that was uber high up at Dodge.  

The first time I met Captain Crunch was at our local Lexus Dealership.  I had the Daytona on the rack getting the tires balanced and McCurry walked out of Rin Rooney's office and he said.   Hey,  you got one of my cars.   I asked him if he had a Daytona and he said.  Yes,  About 500 of them.    :slap:

Another funny thing was Mr. McCurry wanted some Dodge Scat Pack stickers.   I got him some and he put them on his 1/4 glass of his LS 400.   He would get a new Lexus every 6 months and I would keep supplying him with the decals...      I know....off subject but I thought it was funny.

Greg,   I also got Bob to sign my air cleaner lid.    He wrote,    "The name of the game is win.....Bob McCurry"   Sound familiar?   :icon_smile_big:    I gave him a copy of Frank Moriarty's book  "SUPERCARS"    Bob looked at the photo of him on your cars dash and said,  "man, I've lost a lot of weight."    Then I showed him the page with Baker and Glotzbach sitting on the wing and he pointed at Baker and said,  "that guy drove me nuts, he would brake everything."    
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

nascarxx29

mauve66

the toyota letter is a little off on its info if i'm reading it correctly???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

nascarxx29

mauve66

this video shows the wreck of Maynard Troyer and looks like he is thrown from the car at about 1:50 but they say he recovered and raced again, the car almost rolls of the item/person and then its open season for the rest of the drivers to run it/him over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vyx1pCXKzo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynard_Troyer
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

odcics2

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on July 19, 2013, 05:23:49 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on July 19, 2013, 04:20:33 PM

mike

I know, I saw it.

I showed Bob McCurry copy's of those photos of the green 70 Daytona and told him that it said "McCurry's car" on the folder.  He said he never saw the car or knew anything about it.   Then he said that the Daytona was known as "My car"    He went on about not building any Charger's at the Hamtramck Plant in 70 and the liabilities of building a 70 Daytona and why they didn't..  Pretty sharp for a guy that was uber high up at Dodge.  

The first time I met Captain Crunch was at our local Lexus Dealership.  I had the Daytona on the rack getting the tires balanced and McCurry walked out of Rin Rooney's office and he said.   Hey,  you got one of my cars.   I asked him if he had a Daytona and he said.  Yes,  About 500 of them.    :slap:

Another funny thing was Mr. McCurry wanted some Dodge Scat Pack stickers.   I got him some and he put them on his 1/4 glass of his LS 400.   He would get a new Lexus every 6 months and I would keep supplying him with the decals...      I know....off subject but I thought it was funny.

Greg,   I also got Bob to sign my air cleaner lid.    He wrote,    "The name of the game is win.....Bob McCurry"   Sound familiar?   :icon_smile_big:    I gave him a copy of Frank Moriarty's book  "SUPERCARS"    Bob looked at the photo of him on your cars dash and said,  "man, I've lost a lot of weight."    Then I showed him the page with Baker and Glotzbach sitting on the wing and he pointed at Baker and said,  "that guy drove me nuts, he would brake everything."    

Good stuff!  When I got the "Melontona" pics, the guy kept the folder they were in...  Had I known 25 years later folks, including Bob himself, wouldn't believe it, well, I guess I messed up!   Who would have known...                Yeah - watch for that McCurry photo in the future in it's place of honor!!  :2thumbs: 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: mauve66 on July 19, 2013, 05:34:39 PM
the toyota letter is a little off on its info if i'm reading it correctly???

If you had seen the rough drafts of the McCurry interview that Randy and Wolfe had done for MCG on the 70 Tona mystery before his death...McCurry was flipping  and flopping on what was what regarding his own facts and statements, one couldn't blame him, as he was up in age, poor health, and a LOT of things had transpired thru the decades for a man of his accomplishments to recollect a small period of time, esp a particular car, or cars 

Mike

Ghoste

We're lucky he was at Dodge at the right time.

C5X DAYTONA

Good stuff!  When I got the "Melontona" pics, the guy kept the folder they were in...  Had I known 25 years later folks, including Bob himself, wouldn't believe it, well, I guess I messed up!   Who would have known...                Yeah - watch for that McCurry photo in the future in it's place of honor!!  :2thumbs: 
[/quote] :2thumbs:  That is Awesome.  When that is done.  I have to show his very close personal friends Rin Rooney and Rueben Q here out west at the local Lexus Dealer.  There is a picture on the wall there of McCurry leaning on my Daytona wing.    IIRC Rin left Chrysler with Bob and the rest is Toyota history.  Another McCurry note.  About 5 months before he passed he said he had a few boxes of mementos and photos from his years at Chrysler.  He said he had not opened them since he left.    Bob said I could have them after he went through them and would bring them to CA when he came out for the winter.  Never happened. :brickwall:    His summer home was in Rehoboth Beach Delaware.   I have a picture of him here somewhere wearing big rabbit ears at a party.    :lol:
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

mauve66

Quote from: mauve66 on July 19, 2013, 06:03:55 PM
this video shows the wreck of Maynard Troyer and looks like he is thrown from the car at about 1:50 but they say he recovered and raced again, the car almost rolls of the item/person and then its open season for the rest of the drivers to run it/him over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vyx1pCXKzo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynard_Troyer

duh, i meant to say that i looked for the parade lap cars and got sidetracked with the wreck............ :slap:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Redbird

Did anything ever become of the wing that was found last year?

Beep Beep Dave

'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T