News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger BUYERS: Post your stories

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, September 19, 2017, 01:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

The other thread on "sellers" got me thinking, why not share some "buyers" or "tire kicker" stories...  :scratch chin:

So the other month, I sold our 1969 R/T Charger. It was a Matching Numbers car. All body numbers, engine and trans, matched the paperwork. The car was nice. Listed it for sale after writing a complete ad. Was exceptionally complete in the listing. Anyways, had a few flakes...

One guy was interested, offered me $15K LESS THAN I WAS ASKING, then proceeded to tell me all which was "wrong" with a car they never came and saw. Asked me for a bunch more pics, which I sent, then never responded further.  :shruggy: Come look at the car, nitpicker.

Another guy offered me $10k less than my price, we spent a 1/2 hour on the phone talking, seemed like he understood what the car was all about, then at the last minute, flaked, sending me an email to say, "looking at non-matching numbers cars, and ones which need some work..."
Okay, no problem. but the price of my car had NOTHING to do with that. His BUDGET clearly did  :Twocents:

And then another guy who was clearly the "expert", told me all about my car from pictures, and could not tell him anything. I wrote him back to say it sold, but never heard... Good riddance.  :nana:

And lastly, the guy who was too busy to come look at the car, because in the course of 30 minutes, his whole life changed direction. Glad I gave you my info, but perhaps that's all you wanted, anyways  ::)

So what's your stories on weird ones who call on your cars? I hope to never, ever sell anything again.  :slap:

charger_fan_4ever

curious as to what you sold it for was it a turn key car ?

seeing all these crazy asking prices makes me think my 70 R/T is worth 35k on the rotisserie as it sits lol

Challenger340

This has the potential to be a GREAT thread  :2thumbs:

I got a story... but it'll wait for now ?  Delusional "dreamers" could also be the title.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Kern Dog

My story isn't anything crazy but...
In March 2000, I saw an ad in the newspaper classified section. "1970 Dodge Charger, V8, P/S, A/T, bucket seats, new carpet, $2500"
I called but there was no answer. I didn't leave a message because I thought that it might make me look too interested. I called the next day and the guy answered. He said he was moving south to Los Angeles and was selling one of his 2 cars, the other being a 1974 Mercury Cougar. He said the Charger had been in the paper for 2 weeks and he thinks that it hadn't sold because it was only a 318 car. I played it cool and asked to come see it. He was going to be out of town for a few days so I had to wait.
The ad ran out and he started another, dropping the price to $2100. I was able to talk to him again and her acted as if he and I had never spoken to each other. We met on a Saturday morning. He started off saying that he was hung over and probably not in the best shape to negotiate. I looked at the car with my friend, I drove it and then made an offer....$1700. He accepted it and I was the new owner. I then drove the car to work, 122 miles a day for about a month while my work truck was awaiting an engine rebuild....The car was a running, driving, complete 1970 Charger 500 with the only rust being around the back window and some rust scale in the trunk floor.

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 19, 2017, 08:19:53 PM
My story isn't anything crazy but...
In March 2000, I saw an ad in the newspaper classified section. "1970 Dodge Charger, V8, P/S, A/T, bucket seats, new carpet, $2500"
I called but there was no answer. I didn't leave a message because I thought that it might make me look too interested. I called the next day and the guy answered. He said he was moving south to Los Angeles and was selling one of his 2 cars, the other being a 1974 Mercury Cougar. He said the Charger had been in the paper for 2 weeks and he thinks that it hadn't sold because it was only a 318 car. I played it cool and asked to come see it. He was going to be out of town for a few days so I had to wait.
The ad ran out and he started another, dropping the price to $2100. I was able to talk to him again and her acted as if he and I had never spoken to each other. We met on a Saturday morning. He started off saying that he was hung over and probably not in the best shape to negotiate. I looked at the car with my friend, I drove it and then made an offer....$1700. He accepted it and I was the new owner. I then drove the car to work, 122 miles a day for about a month while my work truck was awaiting an engine rebuild....The car was a running, driving, complete 1970 Charger 500 with the only rust being around the back window and some rust scale in the trunk floor.

Cool story,, but how does that make you a Delusional Charger Buyer ?    :shruggy:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ws23rt

I responded to an ad for a 68 Hemi RR with a bad rod knocking in the early seventies. Asking price was $1500.
Called the guy and agreed on a time to meet to make the deal.

The "delusion" on my part was I had not yet figured out how to get the money. :slap:

So--I showed up and chatted with the seller for a bit as he waited for another buyer to show up. The next guys to show up came in an Eldorado and garb that fit the car they drove. They had 15 C notes and bought the car cause all I had was a promise. :eek2:

The "rest of the story"--Two years later I bought that very same car (from an ad in the newspaper) with the engine rebuilt for $2500.
It was a daily driver for 10 years and 75K miles.

ws23rt

The Idea of this thread is interesting.
What it does for me is bring back memories of many- just -missed chances to play with the cars I like.

Are we all not a bit "delusional" as buyers?  :cheers:

Another thought for this topic. ---Who has more fun?---A seller or a buyer?

1974dodgecharger

I have a Buyer delusional myself I my have told this story.

roughly 5 years ago or so I was looking at a 69 charger (had my 68 in restoration at the time) and a guy had a 69 HEMI charger.  At the time I was humming and hawing about restoring my 68 to daily driver status which would cost me 20k or so to what I wanted it to be.  So the I 69 pops up I go and visit and asks for 22k....im like arghh.....no I have a 68 im restoring.  Then he takes me for a test drive doing burn outs at every stop light...we come back and he saids ok ok ok...(I didn't say a word) he said you pushed me 18k and its yours!!!!!!!  I was thinking no thanks I want a 4 speed I don't want a HEMI!!!!  dumbass me looking back that car is probably worth 30k plus at least with that HEMI alone in it...stupid me at the time wanted a restored 68 to daily driver status.......and I thought it be harder to get a 4 speed in it vs a HEMI.  moral of the story JUST BUY A FCKIN HEMI!!

charger_fan_4ever

Not a charger but a mopar. Im sure most will get a kick out it.

This was probably 15-20 yrs ago now. Brother and I saw an add in autotrader. "old baracudda race car"
Called the guy and was a 67-8 cant recall now barracuda race car $2000(no picture) and had a hemi in pieces for sale for another $3000. Said had plexiglass windows rear engine mount. HMMMMM right

We went that day as it was about 2 hour drive to look at another 69 charger. Ended up being a rusty bondo bugey. Was getting late and we were discouraged figured screw it on the cuda must be some old pieced together car so never went to see it.

Fast forward about 6 months or so. Open up mopar muscle or mopar collector guide and there it was. HEMI UNDER GLASS found in montreal quebec lol

Shoulda coulda woulda.

cbrestorations

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 20, 2017, 09:03:34 AM

This was probably 15-20 yrs ago now. Brother and I saw an add in autotrader. "old baracudda race car"
Called the guy and was a 67-8 cant recall now barracuda race car $2000(no picture) and had a hemi in pieces for sale for another $3000. Said had plexiglass windows rear engine mount. HMMMMM right

We went that day as it was about 2 hour drive to look at another 69 charger. Ended up being a rusty bondo bugey. Was getting late and we were discouraged figured screw it on the cuda must be some old pieced together car so never went to see it.

Fast forward about 6 months or so. Open up mopar muscle or mopar collector guide and there it was. HEMI UNDER GLASS found in montreal quebec lol

Shoulda coulda woulda.

Ouch...let us know if u need someone to kick you in the ass whenever you think about it lol

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: cbrestorations on September 20, 2017, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 20, 2017, 09:03:34 AM

Shoulda coulda woulda.

Ouch...let us know if u need someone to kick you in the ass whenever you think about it lol

thanks lol

6pkrtse

I might be a delusional buyer. If I can finally buy my first car (70' Charger) from back when I was 15 but current owner has not decided to sell or given a sale price yet.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: ws23rt on September 19, 2017, 09:29:21 PM
The Idea of this thread is interesting.
What it does for me is bring back memories of many- just -missed chances to play with the cars I like.

Are we all not a bit "delusional" as buyers?  :cheers:

Another thought for this topic. ---Who has more fun?---A seller or a buyer?

Selling a car is no fun for me, as most, if not close to all, are time strokes. Delusional dreamers  :Twocents:

Challenger340

This is a long read, but may be an example of the lengths people will go to in acquiring a Charger, or "re-acquiring" as the case may be ?

I believe anything is for sale for a price.
That particular "price" may be to the point of being stoopid.... nonetheless, if someone wishes to seriously investigate something for THAT stoopid price, conscious efforts should be forthcoming from the Seller to satisfy that investigation from any potential Buyer.

Such was the format surrounding a recent event, in that a potential Buyer contacted and wanted to seriously investigate, or at least so he said, even after the non-negotiable stoopid price was clearly communicated.

It's really simple.... NOT for sale, but if someone DID want to pay THIS AMOUNT, we can talk ? Otherwise, don't waste BOTH our time.

So buddy investigates.... receives Pictures, info, anything he requested about the Charger to the best of my abilities.
Then phones to say.... "he knows a guy".... "who knows a guy"... that once owned that Car for a short period of time in the early 80's, and in fact..... "that guy had the Engine rebuilt".... and hence WHY the Car still runs so well, and obviously my pricing should be adjusted accordingly in my mis-representation.
The wanna be Buyer even let a last name slip out of the supposed former owner ?

Granted, I had NOT known about this former owner for a short period in the early 80's whatsoever ?.... news to me, but no matter, I communicated back to him that the price is still the same, as I don't wish to sell below that amount.
I got off the phone with the door open from him that  "well given the mis-representation think it over and get back to me"

So I get off the phone with this "interested" Buyer..... after he had communicated this to me.
and,
it then took me all of 10 minutes to find this supposed former owner's last name, 4 of them in the phone book of all places ? just lucky I guess ?
Long story short....
phoned, got the right one and talked to the guy's wife,
she remembers the Charger very well, she was Boyfriend/Girlfriend with her now husband when he bought it back then, which they then only sold it shortly afterward when married to buy a house.
She started giving me all kinds of history about the Charger during the short period they owned it.... It was in a friends wedding party, I have pictures of that car , etc., etc ... the Vinyl top was so beautiful... and on and on, about how "Rick" her husband had tried to purchase it back from the person he sold it to.... "but they wanted too much money for it".... she filled in all kinds of history reminiscing about the Charger, etc., etc.
So eventually I asked her....
"did you guys ever rebuild the Engine or do any work to the Charger" ?
Nope, we never touched that Car or did anything to that Car but drive it, and we didn't drive it much as we were always beating around in our Bronco in the bush, it was in great shape and never needed anything"
I thanked her for talking with me, with the promise to get back with her later for a visit if she and her husband wanted to see the old Charger, go for a drive, etc., etc.

So, not half an hour in total after hanging up with the "interested" Buyer.... I call him back, to inform him to call this "former owner" himself, here is the phone number, wherein he will find that they never touched the Car or the Engine proving his friends claim of a guy.... knowing a guy... etc., totally UN-True !
You guessed it....
now devoid of an angle for a price reduction... seems maybe his wallet wasn't as thick as his claimed seriousness in Buying ?

On the bright side....
I filled in a "blank" in the Charger's history I had not known about.

Then a few weeks later, and having established contact with this former owner's wife, I tried calling back to fulfill the "promise" to the wife to get together, visit, see the Charger etc.
Guess what ?
NO answer.... and I mean NO answer in like the next 15 phone calls over weeks, the "message" has changed.... and NEVER a response to any messages I left ?

Makes me wonder ?
Hmmmmm ?
Could former owner who was trying to buy the Charger back BEFORE I bought it... be in cohoots with buddy "serious" Buyer who contacted me ?
If so.... he FORGOT to tell his wife ?
BIG Mistake !
I can imagine him coming home from work, and her relating to him "oh honey the guy who owns your old Charger phoned, a very nice guy, we had a great talk about your old Car, I told him you would be thrilled to get together"

Just seems very strange that such a nice lady that I spoke with..... who was so happy to hear from me and reminisce about the Charger ? has now changed the message machine and won't answer ?
Maybe she caught holy hell from hubby ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Chargerguy74

I had a 72 Charger listed for $5000 and a guy drove over an hour to look it over. Spent a few minutes looking at it, asking some questions, then asked if I'd take $400. I asked, "do you mean $4000?" He replied, "no, $400." I laughed and closed the shop door.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on September 25, 2017, 09:20:10 PM
I had a 72 Charger listed for $5000 and a guy drove over an hour to look it over. Spent a few minutes looking at it, asking some questions, then asked if I'd take $400. I asked, "do you mean $4000?" He replied, "no, $400." I laughed and closed the shop door.

lmao...ok that go tme  :icon_smile_big:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on September 25, 2017, 09:20:10 PM

:o  That's what I'm talking about. Delusional!  :slap:

smithenhiven

Here's my little story, just happened today.

I keep my Charger in a large detached garage at my old house, the house of which I now rent to my brother (it's literally an 1/8th mile away from my new house).

Because we needed the room in the garage for the day, I pulled the Charger out, and parked it outside.

I end up running home to my place for something, I'm there for like an hour and my brother calls me "you better get back up here, some guy spotted your Charger and wants to talk to the owner....I told him it's not for sale, but he seems to think everything is for sale".

So i head back there, and sure enough there's a guy hovering over my car, examining every inch.

I try to be respectful, because I know it's not the easiest thing to just stop at someone's house and take a shot in the dark on an unknown car, I've done it before.

So I introduce myself, so does he, seems like a decent regular guy, we chit chat for a minute about the car, it's credentials, and what not, he tells me about all his past mopars.  Typical car guy talk, which was all fine and dandy.

Then comes the question "so what will it take to buy it?".

I say, sorry it's not for sale.  Instantly he rebutts that everything has a price. I go on to tell him I've wanted a Charger since childhood, and finally about a year and a half ago I was able to make that dream happen, and selling it now would do me no good as I'd only be back to square one looking to buy another one.

He asks if he can make an offer.  I say you're free to make an offer if you insist, but again, I have no desire to sell.

So now after what seems like a lengthy buildup, I'm expecting to have to turn down a reasonable offer of somewhere near market value.

What's the offer,.....drum roll please.........$10,000.

$10k for a running, driving, roadworthy decent looking numbers matching 70 r/t.

I thanked him for his "offer", explained that values are more than a bit higher than that, and said I'll be keeping it.

Apparently that wasnt good enough, so he says,.."OK then, I threw out a number, why won't you?".  Now I'm irritated, and reply with "all right, you want a number, how about a hundred thousand".  He laughingly states "Come on now, that's crazy", to which I reply, "yeah and so are you, it's time for you to go".

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Good story, and you are right, he's delusional.  :brickwall:

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: smithenhiven on October 06, 2017, 04:47:20 PM
Here's my little story, just happened today.

I keep my Charger in a large detached garage at my old house, the house of which I now rent to my brother (it's literally an 1/8th mile away from my new house).

Because we needed the room in the garage for the day, I pulled the Charger out, and parked it outside.

I end up running home to my place for something, I'm there for like an hour and my brother calls me "you better get back up here, some guy spotted your Charger and wants to talk to the owner....I told him it's not for sale, but he seems to think everything is for sale".

So i head back there, and sure enough there's a guy hovering over my car, examining every inch.

I try to be respectful, because I know it's not the easiest thing to just stop at someone's house and take a shot in the dark on an unknown car, I've done it before.

So I introduce myself, so does he, seems like a decent regular guy, we chit chat for a minute about the car, it's credentials, and what not, he tells me about all his past mopars.  Typical car guy talk, which was all fine and dandy.

Then comes the question "so what will it take to buy it?".

I say, sorry it's not for sale.  Instantly he rebutts that everything has a price. I go on to tell him I've wanted a Charger since childhood, and finally about a year and a half ago I was able to make that dream happen, and selling it now would do me no good as I'd only be back to square one looking to buy another one.

He asks if he can make an offer.  I say you're free to make an offer if you insist, but again, I have no desire to sell.

So now after what seems like a lengthy buildup, I'm expecting to have to turn down a reasonable offer of somewhere near market value.

What's the offer,.....drum roll please.........$10,000.

$10k for a running, driving, roadworthy decent looking numbers matching 70 r/t.

I thanked him for his "offer", explained that values are more than a bit higher than that, and said I'll be keeping it.

Apparently that wasnt good enough, so he says,.."OK then, I threw out a number, why won't you?".  Now I'm irritated, and reply with "all right, you want a number, how about a hundred thousand".  He laughingly states "Come on now, that's crazy", to which I reply, "yeah and so are you, it's time for you to go".

Sounds pretty much like the guy stopped by my place about 12 years ago. I had just cleaned up my car that afternoon and went for a 5 minute drive around my subdivision. As I am pulling into my driveway this guy in a pickup is right on my ass. He is like Hey Hey Hey...so of course I go hey what? What do you want for your car? Not for sale...No seriously what will you take for it....now he is looking all over it asking questions. Yeah not for sale....I really am irritated at this point so I tell him something high...I can't remember exactly say $75k...could have been $100k...he starts opening up his mouth for a comment and I took a step closer to him and told him it was time for him to leave....I mean right now. He jumps into his pickup and speeds away.

This guy was really aggressive, no greeting, didn't even park his truck properly, asking all kinds of questions, just a total knob. Act like that and you get treated the same way.

Dave

'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on October 12, 2017, 12:55:48 PM

Sounds pretty much like the guy stopped by my place about 12 years ago. I had just cleaned up my car that afternoon and went for a 5 minute drive around my subdivision. As I am pulling into my driveway this guy in a pickup is right on my ass. He is like Hey Hey Hey...so of course I go hey what? What do you want for your car? Not for sale...No seriously what will you take for it....now he is looking all over it asking questions. Yeah not for sale....I really am irritated at this point so I tell him something high...I can't remember exactly say $75k...could have been $100k...he starts opening up his mouth for a comment and I took a step closer to him and told him it was time for him to leave....I mean right now. He jumps into his pickup and speeds away.

This guy was really aggressive, no greeting, didn't even park his truck properly, asking all kinds of questions, just a total knob. Act like that and you get treated the same way.

Dave

Nothing more irritiating than those buyers that think getting aggressive with you about YOUR car is going to make you cave into them. Good thing hitting people is a felony here in canada as came close a few times in deals selling cars/trucks.

moparguy01

I have one that is similar, but not with a charger. But it's bad enough I'm going to toss it up here anyways.

I was selling a 77 Dodge Aspen 2 door, slant six car, my great grandmother bought it new. I wasn't a fan of how it drove so I was going to get rid of it. It had 33,000 miles on it. all documents and such, but it was an aspen, and it was ALLLLLLL green. lol

I took it to a mopar show and put it in the car corral for $800. I figured a rust free aspen 2 door with 34k was worth at least that. a guy comes up and starts asking me all sorts of questions, talking about how nice it was. Finally he says "I'll take it!" and asks my name to put on the check. This was back in the day when we didn't worry about fake checks and such. So he hands me a check.....for$300. I asked if that was to hold it while he went to get the rest, and he insists nope, that's what I'm paying you for your car!  :brickwall: Then starts dogging it about everything he can find and how it's a piece of junk and I should be happy to get more than scrap. I tore up the check, told him where to stick it and walked off.

Sorry its not a charger story, but its the worst dealing I've had with a potential buyer....

tcs69rt

A few months ago I drop by a tire shop to see a friend in my triple black matching numbers 69 RT. 30 year old kid comes out of the waiting area and starts looking at my car while I catch up with my friend. Kid ask me if it's for sale and I said "the car is family, I bought it almost 20 years ago while stationed in Vegas and it goes to my son." Kid just stares at me and gets on his cell. I walk inside for a few and when I come out the kid says "I talked with my business partner and we think a fair offer on the car is 55." I told him he now has the highest offering price of 55 grand and I did turn down an offer of 40 grand over the summer but the car is not for sale. A look of disgust crosses his face and he says "55 grand?! Our offer is $5500!" I smiled at him and he stepped into my personal space and says $5500 is a FAIR OFFER! I told him to take a step back and you are NOT getting the car, ever. In typical punk style he stares me down and walks off. I have the kids info, he's no threat. My friend told the kid that I did 20 years in the military working with explosives and I'm a whack job with PTSD that is not to be fucked with.  :smilielol: Yeah, I bought my bud some beer over that one!  :2thumbs:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

68X426

Quote from: tcs69rt on October 19, 2017, 10:11:35 AM
I did 20 years in the military working with explosives and I'm a whack job with PTSD that is not to be fucked with. 

Fact - or - delusion?

Either way I love it, you made my day.  :patriot:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

smithenhiven

Quote from: tcs69rt on October 19, 2017, 10:11:35 AM
A few months ago I drop by a tire shop to see a friend in my triple black matching numbers 69 RT. 30 year old kid comes out of the waiting area and starts looking at my car while I catch up with my friend. Kid ask me if it's for sale and I said "the car is family, I bought it almost 20 years ago while stationed in Vegas and it goes to my son." Kid just stares at me and gets on his cell. I walk inside for a few and when I come out the kid says "I talked with my business partner and we think a fair offer on the car is 55." I told him he now has the highest offering price of 55 grand and I did turn down an offer of 40 grand over the summer but the car is not for sale. A look of disgust crosses his face and he says "55 grand?! Our offer is $5500!" I smiled at him and he stepped into my personal space and says $5500 is a FAIR OFFER! I told him to take a step back and you are NOT getting the car, ever. In typical punk style he stares me down and walks off. I have the kids info, he's no threat. My friend told the kid that I did 20 years in the military working with explosives and I'm a whack job with PTSD that is not to be fucked with.  :smilielol: Yeah, I bought my bud some beer over that one!  :2thumbs:

I have a somewhat similar story to that, only in a complete opposite kind of way.

About 10 years ago, in my early 20s, I had a part time job delivering pizza.  This had me driving all over the place, which was cool, because it lead me to finding a 68 Charger.  As I was making a delivery one day, I noticed a car under a tarp in the side yard of the next house over, I was sure it was a Charger, even with a tarp over it, it had those unmistakably distinctive lines.

Next day I was off, I went back by the house to get a little closer look.  Car looked like it was sitting there a while, all tires flat, grass and weeds growing up around the perimeter of the car, etc...

So I knocked on the door.  Old lady answers "can I help you?".  I introduced myself, said I spotted the Charger, and was curious if it might be for sale.  She said it was her son's car, he doesnt live here but he leaves it here, in fact it's been sitting there for years, and she wishes he'd either sell it or move it.  I asked if I could have her sons number, she didn't want to give it out, so I offered to leave mine, and she promises she'd give it to him. 

Months go by, no phone call, I'm near that street again, so I decide to drive by her house.  Sure enough it's still there.  I stop, knock, she answers, she remembered me by name and said she gave him my number.  I said he never called, and asked again for his number.  She says, hold on, come inside I'll call him.  She rings her son,...."Hey, remember that nice young man I told you about that was interested in you car?...Well he's back, and he'd like to talk to you".  They chit chat, I hear her say, I just want it outta my yard.  She then says to me, he'll be here in 10 minutes.

Few minutes later he shows up, nice guy, starts telling me about his love for Chargers, and how he wanted to restore it, but life got in the way and it just sits there, and he'll probably sell it since his mom wants it gone and it's just getting worse sitting there.  So I ask him, how much do you want for it?  He goes, how about 8?  I paused for a minute, and said, I appreciate you coming down here and showing me your car, and putting a price on it, I just don't have that kinda cash.

That's when he said, well I can't let it go for five hundred or less, I was hoping for a grand, but since you seemed very interested I figured 8 would be a good number.  That's when I said, wait you mean 8 hundred?  He says yeah what'd you think I meant, 8 grand, haha?  I said, yes actually, I did.

So that's how I bought my first 2nd-gen charger for $800 plus the cost of a tow.  It was a total restoration project, needed everything, I started to work on it, but being young and dumb and very little free time between work and school, I decided to let it go knowing that when I'd be in a position to get another one day, I would buy a driver quality car.