News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have you ever noticed ....

Started by Kern Dog, September 19, 2017, 08:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

..That way too many people talk about themselves and are rarely interested in anything else?
I have made it a point to watch and observe the behavior of people in a number of settings and this habit seems to cross race, gender, education and salary lines.
At car shows, it often feels that if I don't cut in to get a word in edgewise, my entire involvement in this hobby would be in the background. Guys often say something like...Is this your car? (Yes) Oh, I have a blah blah blah...blah blah blah blah.....(This goes on for 6 minutes non stop. I wonder how the guy breathes since the talking is one long monologue of what HE owns and is doing with it)
Often times, I hear people answer a phone call with "How are you?", then they immediately start blabbing about their situation without even a slight pause.
Why ask "How are you?" if you are not willing to listen?
On TV, when someone wants to tell someone something, sometimes they say..."Listen..."
Who does this in real life? I have never had anyone but a Boss say this.
Just a few things that I have noticed. Some people are either rude, clueless or just ignorant of decent behavior.

BDF

Was/were that/those (a) rhetorical question(s)? :scratchchin:

Kern Dog

No, I am being genuine.
I wonder why people that are close to you, me, whoever, can be so indifferent or selfish.
In most cases in real life, I try to listen and learn rather than talk about ME.  A conversation should be the true definition of that word, where two or more people share information...NOT where one guy stands there like a Politician on a stage bragging about where they have been, what they have done, etc.

poppa

People......the best entertainment
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

1970Moparmann

The older I get, the more observant I am of these type traits.   Very interesting when you people watch...

The thing that I am most sad about is how people have a closer relationship with a phone then with a child or family member.   Granted I understand this is the new age, but very sad...
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

alfaitalia

......will you lot shut up....I'm trying to tell you about MY car..oh hang on a moment...I've got a text......
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Lighthorseman

:smilielol:

The best way to build rapport is to steer the conversation so that the other party can flap on and on about themselves.  Often, they'll even think you care...or value their opinion.

LaOtto70Charger

Oddly enough was thinking about this on my drive home tonight.  My dad does this often. Far more talking to you almost lecturing than having a discussion. My father in law even more so.  Almost completely onesided.  Flip side makes others in the family can have a conversation with 8 to 10 people around the table floating from subject to subject and everyone having ample opportunity to speak.

When people start the babbling sometimes I do end up in awe how they can explet that much air without taking a breathe.  Not mention moment to think. I can't go more than maybe 4 sentences and to think for a minute.

Kern Dog

I am tempted to start being more curt when I encounter people that blab on and on. If it is with people I deal with frequently, I'll still be polite. If it is with strangers, I will consider saying something like..."Wow, this is almost interesting and important. I am going to walk away now."

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 19, 2017, 08:06:22 PM
..That way too many people talk about themselves and are rarely interested in anything else?
I have made it a point to watch and observe the behavior of people in a number of settings and this habit seems to cross race, gender, education and salary lines.
At car shows, it often feels that if I don't cut in to get a word in edgewise, my entire involvement in this hobby would be in the background. Guys often say something like...Is this your car? (Yes) Oh, I have a blah blah blah...blah blah blah blah.....(This goes on for 6 minutes non stop. I wonder how the guy breathes since the talking is one long monologue of what HE owns and is doing with it)
Often times, I hear people answer a phone call with "How are you?", then they immediately start blabbing about their situation without even a slight pause.
Why ask "How are you?" if you are not willing to listen?
On TV, when someone wants to tell someone something, sometimes they say..."Listen..."
Who does this in real life? I have never had anyone but a Boss say this.
Just a few things that I have noticed. Some people are either rude, clueless or just ignorant of decent behavior.
I see that this was posted at 5:06 PM...but...you been drinkin' already??  :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

F8-4life

So people are a bit self centered.. is this a new thing or did you just figure it out?

Fred

Personally I hate it when they want to know all about me!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Kern Dog

This was a great test to use when I was single and wanting to meet a quality woman. The ones that only blabbed about themselves were never in contention. The ones that didn't want to talk about themselves at all were few and far between but were also a red flag. The sweet spot is the rare one that actually shared in conversation, an equal mix of ask and tell between both parties.   :2thumbs:

DeltaV

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 26, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
This was a great test to use when I was single and wanting to meet a quality woman. The ones that only blabbed about themselves were never in contention. The ones that didn't want to talk about themselves at all were few and far between but were also a red flag. The sweet spot is the rare one that actually shared in conversation, an equal mix of ask and tell between booth parties.   :2thumbs:

What is a "booth party"?
:lol:
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

Kern Dog

Son of a bitch...
I went back and corrected the error.    :2thumbs: