News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Charger 500 & Daytona trunk hinges. Handed or not ??

Started by odcics2, October 04, 2017, 08:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Part books show one number for the hinges: 3412156 for both sides.  They lay flat, on a work bench.

But, do some cars exist with original parts that are a "left" and a "right", being bent slightly inward to account for the differences on each side ?    (They would not lay flat.)

Did Creative tweak as required to fit?

Opinions wanted - better yet, any photos of original hinges to prove either one part for both sides, or handed parts.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

Here's 2 pics.

One of original 500/Daytona hinges, part # 3412156
and the other of a nice reproduction, based on hinges off a 69 Charger 500.

See how THESE originals lay flat?     (I can not speak for all hinges out there, so I said 'these".)

The handed parts were made off of a pair of Charger 500 hinges. You can see the slight bend.

Anyone working on your car and have access to original hinges to compare?  Are they flat or bent, when stacked up?? :shruggy:

Thanks.

69_500

Looked at my two sets but they are both on cars. They appear to both be straight though. Not curved

odcics2

Quote from: 69_500 on October 06, 2017, 07:17:00 AM
Looked at my two sets but they are both on cars. They appear to both be straight though. Not curved

Very subtle!  Even using a straight edge, on a car it will be hard to see.

Thanks for the input. 

odcics2

Got an email with a set of original hinges.
These are flat.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on October 06, 2017, 12:51:41 PM
These are flat.

Very Interesting Greg? I've been making those repro hinge sets for close to 20 yrs now with them having a 1/4" splayed angle on the trailing arm, as I mentioned to you I copied/patterned them off of a nice original 69 Charger 500 set, I curious if there's variations from 500 to Daytona, or early/late variations, I've seen assorted variations of Aero/Wingcar parts over the years, this is a first for me regarding the trunk hinges, I also notice the slot length of mine (the pair in grey primer in Greg's photo are my repros) are longer than the original pair you displayed, I know you mentioned the turn radius was slightly different as well, yet the fore and aft mounting points are the same between the sets, would be nice if you could lay one of my repros on top of your original to see the variation of the arc portion....

If I can get away with just making them "straight", that's a bonus for me, as tweaking them as a left/right pr is a PITA

Greg, if you prefer them "straight", just return them, and I'll tweak them back, but as I mentioned they have been fitted to original customer's cars as well as many replicas/clones over the years in the splayed form

Mike

odcics2

Mike -
As I mentioned to you, there's a very good possibility I'll be trading for a pair of original hinges.  If that falls through, I can use them on the Bettenhausen Daytona.  I didn't think about returning them for a tweak, because I can always do that, if required. I appreciate your offer, though.  :cheers:

Check your emails ... I sent you the stacked hinges you just requested, yesterday!  :2thumbs:

I would not be surprised to see variations in parts over the course of the 500 and then Daytona production.
Noticed this hole on Charger 500 hinges, but not on Daytonas, so far...  
Who owns the earliest built Charger 500???   Now, that car may hold some clues!  :yesnod:

69_500

Excluding the 68 that Jerry S has the first of the 69's is in Alabama

odcics2

Pic of a 500 hinge.  It has the hole.
The "hole bracket" is a stock Charger piece.

odcics2

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: odcics2 on October 06, 2017, 12:51:41 PM
These are flat.

I have an original set and they are straight like your picture...
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

aerolith

Hi Greg and other C500 Folks.

The hinges are NOT sided and are pretty straight either way round.
The small hole is there on my December 19th, C500 'last day of production' and last built, pair of 440ci car hinges.
Maybe hemi ones are different... :smilielol:

Aerolith
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

odcics2

Quote from: aerolith on October 31, 2017, 11:22:40 AM
Hi Greg and other C500 Folks.

The hinges are NOT sided and are pretty straight either way round.
The small hole is there on my December 19th, C500 'last day of production' and last built, pair of 440ci car hinges.
Maybe hemi ones are different... :smilielol:

Aerolith

Appears to be the pattern I am seeing. Other pattern is 500s have the small hole, Daytonas do not.
A little help from Daytona guys with original hinges needed:  Hole or no hole on the spring bracket?   :shruggy:

Thanks!  :cheers:

69_500