News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does Borgson box alleviate need to reinforce k-member?

Started by 67tbird, October 05, 2017, 12:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67tbird

Will I still have slop from k-member shifting, or does the lower pressure on it make it a non factor?

green69rt

My guess is you'll still need the K member reinforcement.  The torque exhibited by the box turning the wheels is what would make the K frame flex and that won't change with the new box.

Lennard

I have a borgson and my k frame is fully welded and reinforced. Why not go the extra mile to get it 100%?

Kern Dog

Any steering box faces the same stresses of resistance, trying to direct 58% of the weight of the car one direction or the other.

67tbird

I guess I'll be having my old K-member rebuilt for my 5.9 and o/d install. Can't afford to do suspension/steering and engine swap at same time. Doing Hotchkis sway's, torsion bars, and struts, QA-1 lower control arms, and SPC uppers.

Lennard

If you (or a buddy) can weld, just buy the kit and do it yourself.

67tbird

K-member has been "speed bumped" so often and bad that I didn't realize it had a swaybar provision.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Lennard

Quote from: Fred on October 05, 2017, 11:48:49 PM
I've never heard of a Borgson.

I've got a Borgeson. :icon_smile_big:
You are spelling it the Aussie way. :icon_smile_big:

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

green69rt

Use this reinforcement kit.

http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_k_frame_reinforcement.html

$75 for the kit (plus shipping) and a couple of hours of grinding and welding and you're there.

green69rt

Quote from: 67tbird on October 05, 2017, 11:28:00 PM
K-member has been "speed bumped" so often and bad that I didn't realize it had a swaybar provision.

You never specified the year of your car, but if 69, just add this to your setup, it doesn't matter if your car has an existing sway bar or not.  Think about installing it upside down to add clearance.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hss-2255f/overview/year/1969/make/dodge/model/charger

67tbird

'72 with an 80's junkyard 318 that will be getting replaced with 5.9 and R46h. saving for tranny rebuild while finishing steering/suspension. I have QA-1 tubular lower control arms that require 71-74 e-body k-member for my Hotchkis sways. anybody needing e-body steering or suspension parts I have 2 sets less a pitman arm, only 1 factory sway bar. 1 b-body large sector dorman steering box.