News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best media for blasting?

Started by randy73, October 06, 2017, 11:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

I have been using soda, but at $40 for 50 lbs it is getting expensive. So does anybody recommend anything else?

My compressor maxes out at 7.9 cfm, so walnut is out of the question.

72Charger72

Have you looked into the plastics?

randy73

No, I have not seen any plastic media, least I do not remember.

Where can I find some?

72Charger72

I would google it or check around your local paint/body shops. I came across it a few yrs ago when debating to Acid Dip or media blast my Charger. Local shop in town does it with plastics beads. They have all shapes and sizes and can get pretty specific to your needs. Fro what I just read it doesn't break down as fast as glass or other media. It may cost as much or more but lasts longer??  :2thumbs:

randy73

Mike DC

QuoteI came across it a few yrs ago when debating to Acid Dip or media blast my Charger.

Short answer:  people who blasted a car will say they want to dip the next one.  People who dipped a car will say they want to blast the next one.  Nobody comes out entirely happy.  

I prefer blasting just because it seems like less potential for trouble in the long run.

GreenMachine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJLyiR3OekU

I've had the idea of making my own glass bead from bottles, but never put much more thought in it. It doesn't seem too difficult to pulverize a bottle, but the machine in the video looks to be cost prohibitive.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

I've never had a body blasted or dipped but have experience with both relating to parts. I would go with the dip.

gtx6970

I had the bottom side / non visible areas on one done with coal slag.  ( stuff looks like black glass beads )

Guy who did it told me its cheaper per bag than glass beads. Yet it Doesn't build the heat like sand but works just as well . The blasted surface is rough like sand blasting so keep that in mind.