News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Steering Box Removal Questions

Started by XH29N0G, October 08, 2017, 09:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

Hi Everyone,

I have found one thread on replacement http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=100641.0 and if there are others, would also appreciate that.  I have a question about the process of removing the PS Box.  I have disconnected the steering column, removed the battery/tray and PS pump.  I have also located the three 12 point bolts holding it on and those are loosened but not loose.  I have the inlet and outlet of the PS box plugged (it has PS fluid in it).  I plan on detaching the pitman arm at the box and leaving the pitman arm still attached to and dangling from the steering assy.  Are there any concerns with doing this?  I then plan on removing the three 12 point bolts and then trying to figure out how to remove the box. 

I have read that the headers will likely interfere and wanted to get an idea ahead of time about the nature of the interference.  Is it that the PS box has to be lifted up to clear the welded mounts on the K-frame (dashed yellow boxes in picture)?  Is the idea to get it out the front, and then drop through the suspension to the floor?  Can it be lifted out from the top in the front?  (I saw one example with the torsion bar removed and dropped out from the back on youtube, but I would prefer not going that route unless it is the best one.)  I have the car on the ground now.

Any help will be appreciated.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

green69rt

The FSM says remove the steering gear from underneath the car but doesn't mention anything about removing TB or center link when the engine is a V8 in a Charger.  Since you have headers I think you should be prepared to disconnect the motor mount on the driver side and then raise the engine a little to gain some wiggle room (you can't move it much, maybe one inch) and then extract the gear from underneath.  For the Hemi the manual says to bring the gear out thru the area of the battery tray  :shruggy:

Good luck.

green69rt

Just so you'll know, on the input shaft (column attaches) the splines have one spline filed down.  This is the index mark when you put it back in.  Put that spline straight up and then attach the pitman arm so the linkage is centered and the wheels about straight and the steering wheel centered.

XH29N0G

Thanks.  I just had a feeling with the headers that it changed the FSM directions.   I'll let you know how it turns out when I try to remove it.

Thanks also for pointer on aligning the wheel and pitman arm.  The flat on the input shaft is at the top the way the wheels are presently aligned (straight forward). 

Or maybe it protects us. 

darbgnik

Quote from: green69rt on October 08, 2017, 12:05:55 PM
The FSM says remove the steering gear from underneath the car but doesn't mention anything about removing TB or center link when the engine is a V8 in a Charger.  Since you have headers I think you should be prepared to disconnect the motor mount on the driver side and then raise the engine a little to gain some wiggle room (you can't move it much, maybe one inch) and then extract the gear from underneath.  For the Hemi the manual says to bring the gear out thru the area of the battery tray  :shruggy:

Good luck.

I had to lift the driver side of the engine up after letting go the motor mount. And also had to remove the oil dipstick tube, battery tray, and I still used a pry bar to get it out past the headers.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

XH29N0G

A quick update.  After loosening the driver side engine mount, I was able to raise the engine enough to flip the box end over end Input shaft up and forward, and slip it out the top where the battery would normally sit.  Now I just wait for the replacement to arrive so I can install and test. 

Another question concerning the pitman arm nut.  Mine has a lock washer on it and I am sure it was much less than 150 ft lbs to loosen.  I noticed in the FSM that 120 ft lbs is listed for PS.  I see 175 for the manual steering. And I was told on the phone that the Borgeson should be tightened to 175 ft lbs.  My torque wrench only goes to 150.  How critical is it,  Any advice will be appreciated.

Or maybe it protects us. 

Dino

Give it all your torque wrench has and when it clicks try to tighten it a bit more. Seriously don't worry if you can't get it tighter. The upper ball joints are fine at 125, the pitman arm will be fine as well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

darbgnik

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 11, 2017, 06:49:23 PM
A quick update.  After loosening the driver side engine mount, I was able to raise the engine enough to flip the box end over end Input shaft up and forward, and slip it out the top where the battery would normally sit.  Now I just wait for the replacement to arrive so I can install and test. 

Another question concerning the pitman arm nut.  Mine has a lock washer on it and I am sure it was much less than 150 ft lbs to loosen.  I noticed in the FSM that 120 ft lbs is listed for PS.  I see 175 for the manual steering. And I was told on the phone that the Borgeson should be tightened to 175 ft lbs.  My torque wrench only goes to 150.  How critical is it,  Any advice will be appreciated.

175 should be close to around another 1/4 turn once your wrench clicks.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

XH29N0G

Just a quick update.  All is installed and all seems to work well.  I went for a quick spin this evening and like it a lot.  Now I am looking forward to a longer drive, hopefully this weekend.

Thank you everyone on this thread and others that I have asked about this.

Now I cannot wait to take the car to my dad's and ask him if he wants to take it for a drive.  I don't think he has driven this car since the 1970's.

Or maybe it protects us. 

M5Ivan

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 19, 2017, 04:45:52 PM
Just a quick update.  All is installed and all seems to work well.  I went for a quick spin this evening and like it a lot.  Now I am looking forward to a longer drive, hopefully this weekend.

Thank you everyone on this thread and others that I have asked about this.

Now I cannot wait to take the car to my dad's and ask him if he wants to take it for a drive.  I don't think he has driven this car since the 1970's.

Very cool!