News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2019 50th Anniversary Daytona Superbird Event - anything in the planning stages?

Started by Arnie Cunningham, October 09, 2017, 08:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Is the Atlanta Motor Speedway laps on Thursday A part of the reunion program?

Wait for the announcements.    I would expect it to be like last time where it was its own event that occurred the day before the reunion started. 

We showed up at Atlanta,  signed their waiver,  and each car paid them a small donation.       

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969daytona on October 17, 2018, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on October 16, 2018, 01:22:36 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on October 16, 2018, 11:15:31 AM
Thanks! So what would check in day be?.. the day before everything starts? What day would that be and until when?

If I haul down with my truck and 24' enclosed, what's the drill for parking.. assuming car comes out of trailer and is what gets parked at hotel with everyone else's cars. I hear there is a "rig" yard somewhere.

If nothing has changed, Thursday the 10th will be Atlanta Motor Speedway for track laps.   There will likely be a hotel in the Atlanta area Wednesday night the 9th if you plan to attend.    Otherwise, everything moves to Alexander City by Thursday night.     There is no reason to get into Alexander City earlier than Thursday.  

Most of the hotels do not have room for trailers.     In the past, we use a large shopping center parking lot nearby for the trailers and motor homes.    Most people will keep their
cars at the hotels.  

On the list of hotels, the other non-recommended place is the American Inn.     Several people managed to escape there the last time after checking in.     Here is a review from someone who stayed there during the recent race weekend a few days ago.  

Thank You

K-E
last Event they did it and everyone who went said it was a blast
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

1969daytona

Quote from: moparstuart on October 17, 2018, 05:05:10 PM
Quote from: 1969daytona on October 17, 2018, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on October 16, 2018, 01:22:36 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on October 16, 2018, 11:15:31 AM
Thanks! So what would check in day be?.. the day before everything starts? What day would that be and until when?

If I haul down with my truck and 24' enclosed, what's the drill for parking.. assuming car comes out of trailer and is what gets parked at hotel with everyone else's cars. I hear there is a "rig" yard somewhere.

If nothing has changed, Thursday the 10th will be Atlanta Motor Speedway for track laps.   There will likely be a hotel in the Atlanta area Wednesday night the 9th if you plan to attend.    Otherwise, everything moves to Alexander City by Thursday night.     There is no reason to get into Alexander City earlier than Thursday.  

Most of the hotels do not have room for trailers.     In the past, we use a large shopping center parking lot nearby for the trailers and motor homes.    Most people will keep their
cars at the hotels.  

On the list of hotels, the other non-recommended place is the American Inn.     Several people managed to escape there the last time after checking in.     Here is a review from someone who stayed there during the recent race weekend a few days ago.  

Thank You

K-E
last Event they did it and everyone who went said it was a blast

Will try to get my traveling friends to get into that also.
Not sure where we are arriving yet. But i guess DC or Orlando (direct flight from Norway)
MoPar or NO car

Aero426

Not sure where we are arriving yet. But i guess DC or Orlando (direct flight from Norway)

Won't matter where you land, you will have a great time.   Plenty of car things to do in Florida as well.   Garlits Museum,  Daytona, etc. 

1969daytona

Quote from: Aero426 on October 19, 2018, 04:20:54 PM

Won't matter where you land, you will have a great time.   Plenty of car things to do in Florida as well.   Garlits Museum,  Daytona, etc. 

I guess we land in Orlando if my friends want to.

I have been down there sometimes before. Garlits is great but to be honest Talladega is better than Daytona.
But then again I have been there 3 times so I maybe blinded..

Anyhow this trip will be the best thing next year. Locking forward to see all of you and your cars.

Thank You

K-E
MoPar or NO car

Luis9995

Quote from: taxspeaker on October 15, 2018, 07:21:05 PM
Ryan

Like everyone, I am looking forward to the information when you have it. Planning on bringing all 4 of my wingcars and have marked off the calendar already. There is a 50/50 chance of a 5th wingcar I will bring (2nd Daytona) that is hidden in the hills here in southern indiana-it has been unknown for 40 years, but is not really a barn find, just not shown or displayed. Since I can't pull all 4 on 1 trailer, I guess Reliable Transportation will have trailers going there?
Bob

Is that the Daytona I showed you? Or a different one?

70EK2Bird

Hotels seem to be booking up quick.  I have reserved a room at the Days Inn.   See everyone next year.

Also they are doing a special display at Carlisle for the Daytona and Charger 500 for those interested in going to another great event next year.   :2thumbs:

1970Moparmann

Thanks for the note Pat!   Hampton Inn is sold out already.    Get your rooms reserved!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Aero426

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on October 22, 2018, 08:02:08 AM
Thanks for the note Pat!   Hampton Inn is sold out already.    Get your rooms reserved!

Hampton Inn will have rooms.   If you play with the dates, you cannot make a reservation for ANY date in October 2019 right now.    This means they have not yet posted their inventory.     I have seen this before.   

I called them at the location today and they confirmed their rooms should start showing up available to book after November 1.    

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: Aero426 on October 22, 2018, 09:11:56 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on October 22, 2018, 08:02:08 AM
Thanks for the note Pat!   Hampton Inn is sold out already.    Get your rooms reserved!

Hampton Inn will have rooms.   If you play with the dates, you cannot make a reservation for ANY date in October 2019 right now.    This means they have not yet posted their inventory.     I have seen this before.   

I called them at the location today and they confirmed their rooms should start showing up available to book after November 1.

I called them today too, that poor guy is probably getting tired of us!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: Devil on October 16, 2018, 08:33:11 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on October 16, 2018, 08:13:06 PM
THANKS! I assume hotels will book up pretty fast and would be best to get something soon, even if I need to cancel as the event gets closer? I haven't been to Alabama in 29 years.

Is everything done by the Sunday.. so check out Monday?? Or ??

Sunday is Talladega, so it depends on how deep you get into it.  You can head out after the laps and such.  Many people hang around for the race, which lasts into the afternoon.  So it is up to you.  But the Talladega laps and such are the end of the reunion events.

Just don't do like I did the last time and book a return flight too early from ATL... We tried to leave before the race, but the roads going out were closed as they converted all directions going to the Speedway! We just sat at the exit for an hour before we could head out and make our flight just in time! ;-)
Lesson learned, will spend an extra day this time!

Ben

1969daytona

Quote from: 70EK2Bird on October 21, 2018, 08:07:24 PM
Hotels seem to be booking up quick.  I have reserved a room at the Days Inn.   See everyone next year.

Also they are doing a special display at Carlisle for the Daytona and Charger 500 for those interested in going to another great event next year.   :2thumbs:

Thank You
MoPar or NO car

birdsandbees

Have any of you guys double towed in Alabama and / or Georgia?? Considering pulling the enclosed and a lightweight single axle camper down vs worrying about hotels there and back.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Aero426

Quote from: birdsandbees on October 23, 2018, 01:27:17 PM
Have any of you guys double towed in Alabama and / or Georgia?? Considering pulling the enclosed and a lightweight single axle camper down vs worrying about hotels there and back.

Does not appear that it is legal.  

I don't think you will have any trouble finding places to stay.     

birdsandbees

Yes, thanks, I've seen that... but my son at Talladega both this year and last tells me there were numerous motorhomes towing double behind them into the grounds and I wondered if anyone had first hand knowledge of double towing down there. I do know that I can't cross the border into New York State double, customs makes you leave one trailer behind as double tow is illegal in NY... but I can cross at Detroit into Michigan.

It's not just when there, it's the other 1.5 weeks or so we'll probably spend touring across into Arizona / grand canyon / etc before heading home so there's no worry of the truck / trailer being stolen in the night. If it is we'll be along for the ride!!  :lol:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

A383Wing

I just reserved our hotel-motel room for the meet, arrive on the 9th, leave for back home on the 14th

We're at the Days Inn in Alexander City

Bryan

69_500

Quote from: 70EK2Bird on October 21, 2018, 08:07:24 PM

If Carlisle has a special display for 500's you know I will have to go.

5hunert

Quote from: A383Wing on October 23, 2018, 05:13:10 PM
I just reserved our hotel-motel room for the meet, arrive on the 9th, leave for back home on the 14th

Bryan
Same here Bryan. Good golly, looks like we got us a convoy.  Seattle to A. City.

moparstuart

Bryan
Better get to work OLD MAN

Aero426

First announcement from the Wellborn Musclecar Museum.

http://www.wellbornmusclecarmuseum.com/events/save-the-date-aero-warrior-reunion-2019.html

50th Anniversary Of The Talladega Track And The Debut Of Wing Cars
Keep October 10-13, 2019 on your calendar!

WHY: In just under one year, Talladega and the wing cars turn the big 5-0 and the Wellborn Musclecar Museum will, again, be holding a special, invitation-only, Aero Warriors Reunion. You'll be joined by fellow WMM members and Aero Car enthusiasts as well as celebrity VIPs (to be announced). The event will also be covered by Hot Rod TV!

WHO: This exclusive event is limited to the first 200 Aero Warriors. Other cars of the same era may be accepted, but will not get track time. Registration details coming soon!

WHEN: October 10 - 13, 2019 (Please see below for the tentative schedule of events) - We STRONGLY suggest you book your hotel soon as there is limited availability (see below for accommodation listing).

WHERE: Atlanta Speedway, Wellborn Home, Wellborn Musclecar Museum, Talladega Superspeedway

Tentative Schedule of events:
Thursday, October 10, 2019: Atlanta Motor Speedway- Event kickoff with the Aero Warriors Speedway cruise

Friday, October 11, 2019: "Pony Trail" cruise to Alexander City with a fun show and shine on the Wellborn grounds (no judging), and afternoon get-together   at the Wellborn home

Saturday, October 12, 2019: Tour Wellborn Musclecar Museum, Car show (no judging, just fun) during the day and dinner to follow days events.

Sunday, October 13, 2019: Talladega - Cruise to Talladega Superspeedway for a pre-race speedway cruise and display of all cars in attendance.

Accommodations:
Hotels:
Hampton Inn - 256-234-2244
Days Inn - 256-234-6311
Quality Inn - 256-234-5900
Bob White Inn - 256-234-4215
Super 8 - 256-392-7440
American Inn - 256-329-8858
Alex City Motel - 256-329-8441
Lake Martin Hotel - 256-329-0527

Bed and Breakfast:
Cherokee Bend B&B - 805-794-1300
Mistletoe Bough B&B - 256-329-3717

Camp/RV:
Wind Creek State Park - 256-329-0845

« Return to Events Listings

1969daytona

Quote from: 5hunert on October 23, 2018, 11:23:46 PM

Bryan
Same here Bryan. Good golly, looks like we got us a convoy.  Seattle to A. City.

Now we have 2 roms there also. But we are coming on Thursday 10th

K-E
MoPar or NO car

white

How do I get an invite to this event, this will be first time going here, will bring my T3 C500 SE with Air!

Thanks Jeff 

70Sbird

Quote from: white on October 25, 2018, 01:04:17 PM
How do I get an invite to this event, this will be first time going here, will bring my T3 C500 SE with Air!

Thanks Jeff 

If you are reading this then you are certainly invited!
:cheers:

Scott Faulkner