News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering coupler , pin removal

Started by Canadian1968, October 09, 2017, 01:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

So I am starting to pick away at thr things I want to fix over the winter. On the list is to rebuild the steering coupler. I took this off when I pulled my engine bay apart. Removing the pin that holds it to the steering box was a PITA . This time I am wondering how you guys keep the column / shaft from moving as your driving out the pin?  There is a lot of slack in the box when the car is not running , so how do u hold it or do u just hammer on it till it comes out !? ?

XH29N0G

I just knocked one out and didn't notice it being particularly loose or wanting to rotate.  You are talking about the pin that holds the coupler onto the input shaft on the PS steering box, right?  I used a small round file that was the diameter of the pin and drove it with a small hammer.  Where that pin when After it was driven out is anybody's guess.  I cannot fine it under the car.  A magnet is the next step. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Gold Rush

Just removed my steering column this morning to access the brake booster mounting nuts...  YUP, booster is leaking...

I turned the coupler so the pin was positioned vertically and locked the column then used a 1/4 inch hardened steel rod to simply drive the roll pin on through.  It fell nicely on the floor right under the car.   ;D  ;D
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Canadian1968

hmmm ok! maybe it won't be such a SOB this time since I have already had it out once.

But yes it's the pin at the very end of the steering shaft that slides overy the splinessential of the steering box

Kern Dog

1970 and later cars have locking steering!
Maybe get the Wife or someone else to hold the steering wheel?

Canadian1968

Well that was a lot easier than last time ! The pin that goes threw the shaft after you remove the coupler housing on the other hand , is proving to be MUCH more difficult !

Kern Dog

Canadian1968

I was also planning on going this route with te lower  bearing ?  Is there any reason I can't do this on a b body column ?

375instroke

Gotta use a pin punch, or something that's square on the end, with no taper, to push on the roll pin.  I've seen people use Phillips screwdrivers, and tapered punches.  Not going to work.