News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

572 Hemi in 69 Charger

Started by chrint, October 10, 2017, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

572 Hemi in 69 Charger

572 engine fit
5 (50%)
69 charger with 572 Hemi
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

chrint

Thinking of putting 572 Hemi in 1969 RT/SE Charger, pros and cons?
Will it fit?
Do i need to modify anything ?
What headers are best for application ?
Hood clearance with 2x4 carb set up?
And anything else anyone has encountered .
Car will be manly street driven and as original looking in appearance as possible .
Just like the look of a Hemi and want around the 700 trq mark, car is factory  727 Auto car.
Looking at FHO engine choice .

G-man

If you leave everything factory and just drop the engine in, you will end up with a completely destroyed vehicle. That engine will twist and destroy everything you got, gearbox included.

You have to build the whole car around that motor for it to work safely.

68X426

What he said.  You have to modify everything if you want the car to last.

I don't understand your poll choices.  :shruggy:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Troy

A 572 has the same external dimensions as the stock 426 Hemi. There shouldn't be any fitment issues with stock type parts (dual 4bbl intake included). You will be limited on the brake master cylinder/booster and wiper motor just like the factory cars. With that much more power over the stock motor you'll want to beef up the transmission. Probably rear axle too. Or you'll be rebuilding both soon after you get it on the road. Your choice. If the tires don't hook you really don't need anything else. However... factory R/Ts got heavy duty suspension and brakes to deal with the extra power and weight. Highly recommended! If you do manage to get traction, you'll at least want the factory Hemi frame modifications (torque boxes specifically) with the addition of some subframe connectors or the car body will twist. Basically, it doesn't matter if you're choosing a Hemi or anything else with that much power - you should build the whole car as a package. The Hemi just has a few "challenges" due to the physical size - but the factory sorted them all out already.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Eldovert

A loose rule of thumb is spend as much on the rest of the drive train as you spent on the engine.

Kern Dog

The dose of reality must have scared the OP off somewhere.

G-man

6pkrtse

I have a 853 H.P. 528" Hemi in my 70' Challenger & it dropped right in. As stated above dimensionally it is no larger than a stock 426 Hemi other than the taller valve covers to clear roller rockers.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic