News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GM overdrive auto behind an RB

Started by flyinlow, October 13, 2017, 08:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

A few questions for those who have a Silver Sport OD auto in your Charger. (or similar 4L60 E)

Does it use a GM converter and flywheel ?

Does it have a limp home mode?

Mini starter work with it?

Bandit360

I have a Silver Sport 4L60E behind a 426 in my 69 charger.  It is a VAST improvement over the torque flight .  The transmission controller is fully adjustable as far as shift point/firmness and converter lockup.  I'm pretty sure the converter and flywheel are GM products, they came as a complete package from Silver Sport.  Silver Sport is the new management of this company, and they were bought by a retired businessman who bought the company, liked their products, but was horrified by their business practices and legendary poor customer service.  He turned the place around.  Can't remember the old name.

4L60E's are a common transmission.  What you can't find anywhere else is the custom GM - Mopar bell housing.  Mine has a mini starter that I put in for header clearance.  Can't remember whether the full size starter would have worked or not.  When I got my order, EVERY part I need except a Lokar flexible dipstick was there, fit perfectly, and worked great.

The instructions are complete, specific, easy to follow,  and include pictures and templates to put a small dill pickle sized indent in the transmission tunnel. 

The electronic controller is "Simple Shift" made by Powertrain Control Solutions.    Certain error codes do put it in "limp" mode.  The only error codes I've had are when the TPS was not calibrated because I was messing with something else and threw the adjustment off. 5 minutes later, good to go.  (no Limp mode with that one)  I mounted mine above the fresh air intake by my left foot.

If you can afford it, you'll love it.  I can't emphasize enough how easy, complete and year/model specific the instructions were.

Ray

Ryan.C

wow! That is right on.

How much was the kit and did you use your existing trans mount?
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

bill440rt

I have a Keisler Stage2 behind a 440-6 in my '69. I posted a thread on the install, here's a link:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62840.0.html

Bandit360 pretty much nailed it. Since I got mine before Silver Sport took over there were a few snafus, but most were remedied quickly. Luckily I experienced some good customer service from Keisler at the time.
I also have a different controller than the new ones they provide, mine requires a laptop for tuning and can be cumbersome that way. I spoke to Silver Sport and the upgrade is pretty easy just involving a swap out. I may look into that next season.

Everything came in my kit as well with the exception of the driveshaft, which I provided them measurements once everything was installed. I then had the driveshaft in less than a week, the price was included in the kit.

The car is a pleasure to drive, you almost forget you're in an old muscle car. With 3:91's out back I can cruise on the highway 85mph+ without vibration.
Installation was easy too, I just had to drop it back down once as I did not dimple the floor enough the first time.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

flyinlow

Thanks for the replys.

I have a 518 transmission in the '73 Charger. I was debating fitting one to the '70 or going the Silver Sport route. The 4l60E looks like it will fit better. It also has a 3.06 first gear which is better than the 518's 2.45 ratio. Converter choices would be better. I certainly would enjoy a drop project for a change.

I do like the Torqueflight feel of the a518 transmission. Either way overdrive was one of the best things I have done to the '73.

What torque rating did you get? Their rep at the Nats. said they had 450,550,and 650 models.

cdr

Quote from: flyinlow on November 06, 2017, 11:18:18 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I have a 518 transmission in the '73 Charger. I was debating fitting one to the '70 or going the Silver Sport route. The 4l60E looks like it will fit better. It also has a 3.06 first gear which is better than the 518's 2.45 ratio. Converter choices would be better. I certainly would enjoy a drop project for a change.

I do like the Torqueflight feel of the a518 transmission. Either way overdrive was one of the best things I have done to the '73.

What torque rating did you get? Their rep at the Nats. said they had 450,550,and 650 models.

PATC has any type converter you would need for a a518.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bill440rt

Quote from: flyinlow on November 06, 2017, 11:18:18 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I got the Stage2 (550 tq) rating. I had the engine dyno'd after buying the trans, and it dyno'd at 572tq. Keisler reassured me that the trans would be totally fine, however. So far, so good.
I also run a mini starter.

Regarding price, yes the initial cost is expensive. However, when planning everything I compared it to a Gear Vendors which doesn't include a lot of things I had to buy additionally (driveshaft, trans cooler, torque convertor, lines, etc etc). I also would have had to rebuild the 727 the car came with. In the end the Keisler kit ended up being much cheaper.  :Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Kern Dog

I asked a guy from Silver Sport about their torque ratings. I was curious if an engine makes 600 ft/lbs but has street tires, would you need the HD version of the trans? He agreed that they based the ratings on what the transmission "sees", in other words, 600 ft/lbs with slicks is a whole lot more destructive than the same torque with a 255 series tire or one with short, stiff sidewalls for cornering. The transmission "sees" less of a load if the tires break loose easily.

c00nhunterjoe

Indeed kerndog.

Kern Dog

c00nhunterjoe

Yup, all foot lbs available transfered to the pavement.

Kern Dog

Bandit360

Quote from: Ryan.C on November 06, 2017, 11:49:46 AM
wow! That is right on.

How much was the kit and did you use your existing trans mount?

Cost?  Lots.  The transmission comes with a custom mount.  Bolt in. Fits perfectly.  Your old one won't work.  This transmission is longer.  As another poster says, after you get it in, they tell you where to measure (weight on wheels), you send that info back to them and you get a new driveshaft a week later.  Part of the complete package.

I don't drag anymore.  My motor makes 755 ft lbs (on engine stand before I replaced Carter AFV's with dual FiTech throttle bodies -runs even stronger now).  This transmission is only rated to 650.  Think I'll be OK running down to Home Depot and back, but plan to add a driveshaft loop.

Would have rather had a 6L80E.  Tons more custom work to fit that oversized transmission in though.  Think you'd have to fab a complete new tunnel.  Completely happy with the 4L60E.

Kern Dog

Why not tell the price?
If you don't remember, say that. People that are interested in trying something different are sometimes swayed by price. What are people trying to hide by not telling what the conversion cost?

Bandit360

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 13, 2017, 09:09:09 PM
Why not tell the price?
If you don't remember, say that. People that are interested in trying something different are sometimes swayed by price. What are people trying to hide by not telling what the conversion cost?

Sorry Kern Dog.  Didn't say because I didn't remember.  You make a good point though.  So I went upstairs and looked it up.

$6714 four years ago.

Ray

bill440rt

Yes, the crossmember (and mount) are included in the kit. Basically, everything needed to install it. Even the fluid.

Mine was $4674 back in 2009, including shipping (like Ray I couldn't remember & had to look it up). But, mine is the Stage2 (up to 550 ft/lbs). Price goes up depending on which stage trans you get.
By the time I tallied up a Gear Vendors unit, plus everything else to go along with it I would have had to buy separately and figure in a rebuild of a 727 I had lying around, I was WAY ahead just plunking down for the Keisler.
The parts didn't just fly out of the boxes & install themselves like magic, there was some trial & error involved and a few errors in the instructions & minor missing things. But Keisler at the time was very good at making things right and their tech support was good too. From what I hear SilverSport has really worked the bugs our & refined things so it should be better these days.

If you need modern day pricing just call them up or request a quote through their website.

WHITE AND RED 69

I got a quote earlier this year and it was $6,234 for a stage 3 setup with everything except the trans cooler. Soon as I have the cash I'm getting one ordered.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Kern Dog

Quote from: Bandit360 on November 13, 2017, 09:18:38 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on November 13, 2017, 09:09:09 PM
Why not tell the price?

Sorry Kern Dog.  Didn't say because I didn't remember.  You make a good point though.  So I went upstairs and looked it up.

$6714 four years ago.

Ray

Thank you, I was a bit too harsh and I am sorry about that.
I am touchy about the habit that some people have of purposely leaving price out when people ask. It is most common when people buy some great car and go online to brag about it. Others that are wanting to find the same thing sometimes need a price to lead them to what the going rate might be.
Thank you again. You are right, you paid a LOT. It is a desireable swap though and yours was built to their highest level.

c00nhunterjoe

Do they still make 700r conversions? For mopar anyway? Would be far less expensive to nit use all the electronics and it appears that most dont use  the electronic converter clutch.

71charger_fan

Are these transmissions compatible with the factory slap stick shifter? I'm interested in these as maybe next winter's project. This winter is paint.

Never mind. Just found the installation manual on their website and see the procedure to modify the slap stick.

ACUDANUT

Wow, that's a lot of money. (for me).

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 14, 2017, 11:34:45 AM
Wow, that's a lot of money. (for me).

The Piggly Wiggly doesn't pay enough to pay the rent AND this transmission?  :eek2:
Yeah, I cannot justify the cost based solely on fuel savings. I drive the car about 2000 miles a year. I'd do it for easier freeway cruising, a quieter ride and longer engine life.

Mike DC

In terms of gas mileage alone, any modification that costs more than a few hundred bucks will probably never pay for itself.  OD is worthwhile for the other stuff. 

randy73

Rebuilt 46rh, tq converter and all hardware to install just under $1500, course I made the tranny mount myself and mine is a driver, so while I am not expecting to make my money back, I can drive the interstate and get good gas mileage and at a MUCH lower rpm which is why I went this route. Going 70 at 2k rpm, is a whole lot better than say 3500.

Rolling_Thunder

The 4L60E is an awesome transmission - GM or not...   tons of aftermarket support  ---- for my Challenger I am simply going with a 518 - budget friendly but not nearly as optimal as a 4L60 --- I cant justify the cost of it compared to a $150 46RH that I already have   

I envy some of you guys  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip