News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How To Find Original Dealer...

Started by csx4590, October 16, 2017, 12:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx4590

I have the broadcast sheet for my car. Is there any info on there that can determine what dealer the car was originally sold at? Just curious. Thanks...

Simonic

Would the build record show this info?
Mopar owner in the UK..

hemigeno

The short answer is unfortunately no.

Unless it's a Mr. Norm's car or a Daytona (or maybe a '67 & earlier model), I doubt you'll be able to cross-reference anything from the VIN, Broadcast Sheet or Fender Tag to confirm the original selling dealership.  Even the Special Order Number (a/k/a Vehicle Order Number) isn't likely to yield any information. 

Compared to the overall production run of Chrysler vehicles (and Chargers in particular), we have an extremely small amount of information that would point us to selling dealership connections... far less than we would need to offer even an educated guess.

A383Wing

Won't the Chrysler Historical Society have this dealer info? It will cost to get this info, and you will get a punch card also I beleive

69bfan

Chrysler Historical only has partial information up to 1966 and possibly some 1967.  Even then it might be hit or miss.  The best bet would be trying to get information on previous owners.  You may get lucky and find a wealth of information or strike out completely.  Some DMV's will have a list of previous owners, but unfortunately, if the car goes untitled for a period of time, many states are dropping that information and it is basically lost for ever.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

68X426

Didn't Fiat close the Chrysler Museum, and the Historical section go non-op?

:popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

John_Kunkel

Historical still has the IBM punch cards available for pre-'68 but they no longer translate the info on them. For a fee, they'll send you a photocopy of the card for your car but you have to decipher the info.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Simonic

http://www.71superbee.com/Historical_Foundation/

Using the info I found above I've recently written to both these sources of information. When they get back to me i'll share my experience.
Mopar owner in the UK..

hemihead

Back in the Mid 70's , the warehouse that Chrysler used to to store all it's info on production caught fire and was destroyed . Most of the Musclecar era info was burnt up .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Simonic

An update on this subject.
My car is last titled in MI so I wrote to the dept of licensing there.
I received a letter saying I had to download a form and fill it in.
I downloaded the form and needing some assistance to fill it in I gave them a call.
After explaining my purpose I was informed that the relevant information could not be made available to me as I did not have 'legitimate purpose' for asking for the information.
I'm really disapointed
Mopar owner in the UK..

68X426

Bureaucrats.  They don't have a "legitimate purpose" either.

:brickwall:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Simonic

Yep.
So i'm banging my head against the wall a bit.I'm so frustrated that there are previous owners of my car out there somewhere and I can't get in touch. I'd love to trace the history of the car. I'll keep trying  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Mopar owner in the UK..

Alaskan_TA

There is a dedicated B-body thread for this type of request at http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1401/1/broadcast-sheets-l-f-b-body.html

It has over 700,000 views so far, but stay in the stickied topic area or your post will eventually fade away.

You can list your VIN there with what you are hoping to find.

That way, if anyone ever Googles your VIN they will find you.

Simonic

Thank You Sir.
I'll have a look at the Moparts thread
Mopar owner in the UK..

Simonic

Today I received a response from the Chrysler Historical Archive.
I quote.

'Unfortunatley we do not have build records after 1967 in our files.These records were never transferred to the archives and do not exist within the company'

I'm wondering what to try next. I am looking thru the moparts thread that was mentioned above .
Interestingly I did a google search for my Vin number yesterday.
Only pictures that I had taken and websites I had contributed to were returned in the search.
I'm beginning to wonder if the martians mentioned in one of the other posts on here have dropped my car on the planet just prior to my purchase..........
Mopar owner in the UK..

68X426

Nearly everyone has gone thru this.  Your case is routine, got to move on now.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ACUDANUT

alfaitalia

I tend to agree...but it might be just jealousy! I know nothing of the history of mine...not even the original VIN. Mine has a UK issued VIN.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!